Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcomed an '08 SC to our family this weekend. She has 130k miles, and the Carfax checks out that she had pretty regular maintenance, but she did have a bit of a boo boo in her past. She has a rebuilt title which in discussions with my insurance agent is not uncommon with a 13 year old car (many insurance companies will "total" a vehicle with 50.1% of its book value in damage, which for a 13 year car is around $3k in damage, aka almost a fender bender). She is in good shape, needs a bath, and is going to the local Honda dealership on Monday for a comprehensive look. (a semi-rural area with few if any Honda mechanics) She will need new tires soon. Anything else I should make sure they look at?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase, check the valve clearance if they have someone experienced there that can properly do a valve adjustment. Did it come with any service records, so that you can see specifically what services were done at what dates and mileage? If not it would be a good idea to start with all fresh fluids and filters. Also see if it has had the Takata airbag recall done already.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi,
Do NOT let the Dealer tell you it does not need the valves checked!

At that mileage it is over due and probably has never been done.

I would HIGHLY assume that, if nothing, showing it had!

Being used, I would replace ALL fluids, check, bleed brakes, differential fluid, if ALL Wheel Drive.

Check serpentine belt, and be prepared soon for starter replacement, some last for quite awhile, some don't!

I've replaced 2 starters on 2 different E's around 130K miles.

There is a Honda E, service list at 110K miles and I would look at that.

These SUV's are great, but need their service done, on time, with proper fluids!

A Honda, is not a Chevy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I look at a dealer for valve adjustment or can an independent mechanic do the work? I know some fluids and suspension work are required.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Either a dealership or an independent mechanic could do the valve adjusment if they have a technician there that knows how to do it. I have been at some dealerships where none of the technicians knew how to do it and some small independent shops that did not have any experience doing it either.

Hopefully someone on this forum who is in your area can recommend a technician that knows how to do it. It's actually not that hard to do but for me I prefer someone who is an experienced hand at it and isnt rushing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts