Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm not really into the whole car scene but I have an 06 2wd lx E...It's orange and I enjoy the car a lot but I'm stuck with it for awhile and want to start making it look nice.

I was thinking getting new rims would be the first step, problem is, I have no clue how to go about picking the right ones, sizing, and do I have to get new tires?

If you could help out a newbie, I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know next to nothing about metric sized tires. My former vehicle was a huge pickup with tire sizes in inches, which was so nice and easy :)

Anyway, here are some beginner basics for you that I just learned on my own... Someone else can help you with the "tire size" in metric and correct anything I'm wrong about.

Wheel Offset:
It's probably best to choose an offset between 40-45, but no lower or higher than that (correct me of I'm wrong guys). If you go lower than 40 you might have your wheels sticking out too far, and higher than 45 you could rub the brake calipers because it'll be inside too far. The lower the number, the farther out they stick. The higher, the farther inside towards the axle.

Wheel Width:
I believe the stock rims are 6.5 inches. So try to find something where you're not going to go too wide and have a problem with rubbing. I just bought rims that are 7 inches in width.

Wheel Height:
Your stock rims are 16 inches. If you want to keep your current tires, try to keep the width the same or close to it and go with a 16" rim in height. If you want, you can go up in rim size (17 and 18 inch rims are popular on elements too) but you'll have to buy a new tire. When the interior diameter of a tire goes up, the price also usually goes up. You can go down to 15" rims too if you like the beefier tire look, but be careful and do your research because some 15" rims will rub your brake caliper.

Bolt Pattern:
The Honda Element uses a "5x114.3" bolt pattern for the lugs. It's a fairly common pattern.

That's about all I can think of right now off the top of my head. Like I said, tire sizes will have to be someone else's forte!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think if you go to TireRack.com they'll show you a bunch of rims that will work on your car, without you having to know all of the sizing info. You just plug in what kind of car you have and they take care of the rest.

They are a valuable resource even if you don't buy from them.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I think if you go to TireRack.com they'll show you a bunch of rims that will work on your car, without you having to know all of the sizing info. You just plug in what kind of car you have and they take care of the rest.
Discount Tire's site works the same way. Put in your year, make, model and color and you will be able to see how the wheels look on your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I did that! Looks pretty cool.

I'm leaning towards the MB wheels Seven X, and i'm gonna get a grillcraft grill also.

Then put in a new radio, and I'd like some ambient lighting too, Orange of course :grin:

All which, I have no idea how to do! Should be fun..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts