Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been visiting and reading for a while now (several months). This past week I had my first opportunity to sit in an Element. I have not decided one way or the other that I will buy one, but the Element seems to be my number 1 choice right now.

I've been considering a new car for a while. I currently drive a 90 Ford Aerostar with about 150K miles.

First off, I wanted to thank you for all everything you've discussed. It helped me quite a bit as I determined what vehicle might be right for me.

Now, perhaps, I can make the help more personal.

I was wondering if anyone else had owned an Aerostar and changed over to an Element. What kind of transition did you have to make? Is there anything in particular I should look at the next time I look at an Element?

I have 1 main concern as I see it:
I have a very lanky(sp?) build. I'm roughly 5' 11", and about 3 feet of that is leg. In my Aerostar, I have plenty of room, and I really like my foot position when I drive (the pedals are roughly as far below me, as they are in front of me). I like the 'high ride' feel.

I did not get that 'high ride' sense as I sat, but then I did not spend as much time in the Element as I would have hoped...the salesman seemed more interested in getting me to try a Pontiac Aztek that was $3000 more expensive (ugly things).

·
Registered
176 Posts
ugh, sorry that it seemed your salesman was preoccupied with landing an upsale.

my suggestion would be to perhaps hit a different dealership and ask if you can take the E on a short private test drive. if they let you, make sure you jack up the driver's seat to your liking and move it back far enough to get the feel you're looking for. then take 'er on a spin :)

the e has alot more options as far as driver seat height/position than i'm accustomed to after driving my 95 chevy lumina. i'm still trying to figure out what i like.

happy hunting-- hope you have a better experience with a salesperson next time!

·
Registered
273 Posts
i'm 6ft and feel very comfortable behind the wheel... on long drives, i do wish i had someplace to put my left foot,,, ie: a dead pedal maybe... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
While I can't help you with the height thang (I am only 5'5).....let me at least welcome you to the EOC.....please ask us anything about the E! We will be happy to share our experinces and be up front and honest about "issues" experienced!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
StLouisPenguin,
I know you (collectively) are quite candid about your experiences. Thank you.

misfit,
That is what I had heard, and I'm glad I got the chance to get behind the wheel, even if it was for a few stationary minutes.

meanelvis,
I did get that feeling as well. Not sure when I will be getting to a test drive, so that is something I'll have to consider.

Some additional information about me:
I'm from NE Ohio, but I was born and lived for 10 years in Wisconsin. The snow I've seen in my life makes me lean towards a AWD, but the simple fact of gas mileage (even if the difference is minimal) has me leaning towards a FWD.
Cost is very important. I've worked for the past 5 years at the same part-time job (and I enjoy the work). I graduated from college in December and I'm still looking for something full-time (or another part-time job). I see the Element as the most value for the best price.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
yes, just jumping in to see the fit will not give you a full effect of any vehicle.. adjust the seat, since it adjusts up to give you the height and back and forward to get the right length you need for those legs. Once adjusted ride.. you will know if it is right for you when you do ride in this very roomy vehicle. Your hieght is ideal in this vehicle.. my husband is the same hieght, and i have to pry my E away from him!!

ENJOY good luck and keep us posted on your choice.

aerostar vs element, well dramatic difference in vehicles, you should LOVE the element!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
We traded in our Aerostar for the Element. Personally I am much more comfortable in the E than the Aerostar. I hated the Aerostar's seats.

My husband has struggled a bit with the same issue you have. He seems to have adjusted quite nicely though. It took him awhile to get the drivers seat adjusted so it worked for him and it took him awhile to get used to sitting lower. He seems to be very comfortable now.

There were many things I liked about our Aerostar, we looked a long time for a new car. I wanted something smaller, but something I could sleep in from time to time. Often I would use all of the space that the Aerostar had to haul things around. We moved our son in it, we camped in it, we hauled bikes and inner tubes in it. It was not an easy car to replace. I could not see myself driving a truck and most SUV's turned my stomach (personal reasons). We were at a loss until the E came out. We test drove the E the day after they hit the lots.

Good luck with your decision, we are very happy with our Element.

Joan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I'm here, since I'm thinking about it, I'll ask.

What is the width between the 2 front seats in the Element (below the armrest)? I have a large, removable console (adds 4 cupholders, a big storage bin and CD storage) in my Aerostar that I think might be able to fit in the Element. I didn't think to measure when I looked at it earlier.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just from my own recollection, not a scientific test nor even an unscientific poll, it seems that a lot of EOC people have said that the Element fits their body just fine.

This comes from short, tall, skinny, zaftig, leggy and not so leggy people. So, however they built the E, it seems to suit a lot of body types. I cannot even imagine the dimensions of someone who would feel cramped in the E.

The key is sitting inside and fiddling with it until it feels right, and then testing out that feel with a test drive. Try to take one solo if you can - salespeople are trying to be upbeat but they can also distract you from really focusing on your impressions. I brought my mom with me, and her job was to hold my list of things I really wanted to pay attention to and to check them off when I made an observation on them, or to prompt me to share my impression on things I didn't just say spontaneously. She's a darned good car-purchasing helper. For a small fee, I can loan her out. :wink:

Do pay attention to how you see the instruments and reach all the dash knobs when youdrive the car - people of varying heights have found that to be good or bad. I don't have a problem with it (5'9") but some taller folks have.

Enjoy your test drive and enjoy EOC!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm 5' 11" and my wife is 5' 1" and we both fit the car well. A friend of mine drove my E and it fit him, too. He is 6' 2" and very long in the trunk (tends to have headroom problem, but not in the E). Good luck to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts