Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new E is only 4 months old....was built in March of this year. The last few rain storms I've noticed that the wiper blades "skitter" across the wind-shield. Do you think I need to already replace them:shock: Why would they wipe like that when brand new???? Maybe I should take it back to the dealer for some new ones???? Thanks for any input:)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Because they sit for a long time without being used the rubber gets bent in one direction. If you lift the blade and bend it the other way every once in a while it would stop the chatter. I also recommend replacing the blade yearly. My local Honda sealer sells them for $10. each for just the rubber. I buy them online for around $3.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick, I'll try that. Never had that problem before with brand new blades. I'll see if that works with the next rain storm;-) Otherwise I'll be after some new blades.

·
Registered
751 Posts
New inserts cost less than the blades. We replace the inserts about every six months here in FL since it's so hot and during the summer it's almost always raining during the drive home.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You could try flipping the blades or take a cloth and rubbing alcohol and clean the blades. I picked up a set of Rain X Latitude wiper blades at Pep Boys at a 2 for 1 deal after rebate and I love them. No linkage to collect ice in the winter. I would try cleaning them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could try flipping the blades or take a cloth and rubbing alcohol and clean the blades. I picked up a set of Rain X Latitude wiper blades at Pep Boys at a 2 for 1 deal after rebate and I love them. No linkage to collect ice in the winter. I would try cleaning them.
Actually, I've always cleaned my blades, so it can't be that. I'll wait for some more rain but I think I'll probably get new ones....that are better:razz:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Funky...

Have you tried applying Rain-X...? I know of what you speak of and just wondered if that may help... Got my 'Ol LunchBox in Aug '09 and the wipers are holding up rather well with my application of Rain-X... I wipe the blades down each wash... Surprisingly, we even have had some extended rains through June... :shock: Normally, in Northern Cali, the rains stop around March, Tax Day in April the latest... 8) But its an El Niño year so we've been told to expect more precip so the fuller reservoirs are great result due to our drought-ish years... :razz:

LBD

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Here's a twist on same:

Picked up new wiper inserts yesterday at local dealership...noticed they were dark silver instead of black (nothing to do with the problem as much as "Hey...these are silver!")

So we've only had about...5 inches of rain through Houston in the last 24 hours thanks to Hurricane Alex's remnants. Wipers did the glorious silent effective swipes of newness only for a few minutes and then started to chatter and squeak. I've jit the windshield with a ton of glass cleaner, lubes the glass for a few swipes and then back to chatter and squeak.
Now, there's even some residue building up at the areas where the wipers stop and change direction...What the crap is up with that? Are the new blades cleaning up stuff the old squeegees weren't?
Frustrating...rather have the ineffective old blades than the new squeak and chatter dance now going on...

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,521 Posts
Besides cleaning the blades periodically, I also clean the windshield with Bon Ami scouring powder. Scouring powder you say??!! Won't that scratch?? Been doing it for over 10 years and it hasn't scratched yet. It does a GREAT job of removing road grime, water spots, and dirt so your wipers can get back to cleaning just the glass, not all the built up grime. :roll:8)

Hope that helps!! :razz::razz:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone.....so far I have a few ideas I can try. Next week we're supposed to get some rain each day, so I'll let you all know what works:-D

·
Registered
480 Posts
....Have you tried applying Rain-X...
Ditto on the rain-x. Also, regular old paste wax or spray on wax works well too. I personally use Rain-x and seldom use my wipers unless it's really pouring. You can buy the disposable rain-x towelettes and wipe your blades with them when your done with your windshield.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts