Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if your aware but you can now take the course on-line. I started it today. A little boring but beats going somewhere and sitting in a room with a bunch of strangers and a boring instructor. After you sign up you can go at your own pace but you only have 1 month to complete it. It is currently on sale. $35.00 as opposed to $48.95. You are entitled to insurance reduction and point(s) removal from your license when you complete the course.

Check it out . Look up the NYsafetycouncil .

·
Registered
541 Posts
didn't know this was offered online... interesting. Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've had this sort of thing available in FL for years now. Glad to see NY got on the bandwagon.
Finally! It's a great idea in the ever changing fast paced, over worked, internet obsessed society we live in.

didn't know this was offered online... interesting. Thanks!
Your welcome. I was so excited when I found out it was offered on-line. Happened upon it by accident. Don't think they advertise it much because not too many people seem to know about it.

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
I drove through NY and NY City once----just once. You don't need Defensive Driving Training, more like Combat Training. :shock:

Hey - I resemble that remark!!:x

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hey - I resemble that remark!!:x
really? have you ever looked up resemble in the dictionary?

re·sem·ble

Pronunciation:\ri-ˈzem-bəl\

Function:transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
re·sem·bled; re·sem·bling Listen to the pronunciation of resembling \-b(ə-)liŋ\

1: to be like or similar to <he resembles his father>

2archaic : to represent as like

You RESENT that remark. not resemble........:D

.....back on topic........I took one of these courses years ago to pull some points off my license...AAA was offering them at a local highschool a few nights a week......It was actuallu kinda refreshing seeing what "the mans" driving training was all about vs the skip barber & other schools I had attended.... Pat

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
As a DDC instructor, I highly recommend this training to everyone!
And it doesn't hurt to take a refresher, if it's been a while since your last training session....Professional drivers are required to be re-tested every 5 years....

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
And it doesn't hurt to take a refresher, if it's been a while since your last training session....Professional drivers are required to be re-tested every 5 years....
Tim, I think this is different from what you are talking about.

I have taken this course every 3-4 yrs. All it does is give you a 10% discount on your insurance. There is very little in the way of any kind of driver training. It is more about education as to new laws that could have been passed as well as discussing proper distances, things like that. Nothing that will make you a better or worse driver. It might make you more attentive behind the wheel, until you go back to your old habits the next morning. lol :rolleyes:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Tim, I think this is different from what you are talking about.

I have taken this course every 3-4 yrs. All it does is give you a 10% discount on your insurance. There is very little in the way of any kind of driver training. It is more about education as to new laws that could have been passed as well as discussing proper distances, things like that. Nothing that will make you a better or worse driver. It might make you more attentive behind the wheel, until you go back to your old habits the next morning. lol :rolleyes:
Larry, DDC is a Defensive Driving Course....
I can't see how the US course standards are any different than the Canadian....our Highway Traffic Act is pretty close to yours, for obvious reasons...
And yes, we educate on any laws that have changed in the previous 10 years, and yes we discuss proper following distances, lane changes and merging, amongst many other things...
The typical DDC course is only 8 hours long, so can usually be done in one day....although I have seen them be as long as 24 hours, but those are geared specifically to new professional drivers. The 'refresher' course is only 8 hours....

I would hope that taking the course would make people at least a little better drivers, and they would not then revert back to their bad habits....If everyone realized that it takes 2 to have an accident, we would all be better off...Sometimes the most important part about not being in an accident, is to see the other vehicle approaching, and get out of the way! That is what Defensive driving is all about.

The 'best' accident, is the one you don't have!

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
You RESENT that remark. not resemble........:D
It's an old gag line, back to Vaudeville probably. Used literally by the speaker (in this case The Rube does live in NYC must drive accordingly to survive), the joke, such as it is, is the substitution of "resemble" where "resent" is expected. Alas, humor does not survive explanation.

Back to topic, I think I'll take this course too, to save a few bucks on insurance.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
is I had only known I would have done it on line....my Perdiem job had offered the 6 hr course for 22 bucks....I got to listen to this twit talk about himself and his days being a cop in NYC...ugh I knew I was in trouble when he said the civil war was not a true war I was really aggravated apparently I was not the only one they told him that he was not welcome back. LOL I laughed, got my certificate and saved 10 % works for me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Tim, i am a CDL holder in NY...i know nothing of being re-tested every 5 years...:confused: the only thing i get re-tested in is the HAZ-MAT test. I think you should elaborate on this....

It's an old gag line, back to Vaudeville probably. Used literally by the speaker (in this case The Rube does live in NYC must drive accordingly to survive), the joke, such as it is, is the substitution of "resemble" where "resent" is expected. Alas, humor does not survive explanation.
why do some people take EVERYTHING so literal....?!?!? too funny.:D

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Tim, i am a CDL holder in NY...i know nothing of being re-tested every 5 years...:confused: the only thing i get re-tested in is the HAZ-MAT test. I think you should elaborate on this....
Sorry, should have been more specific...in Ontario, there is a requirement for re-testing professional drivers on their air brake endorsement and a medical every 5 years. Haz mat is done every 3 years. At age 65, it goes to every year, and there is a mandatory road test.
And you are only considered to have a 'current' DDC if it is within 5 years - so we do an annual course, so anyone who will 'expire' within the current year will remain 'current' for the next 5 years...

Ontario currently has the strictest regulations for professional drivers in North America....and all commercial vehicles entering and operating within the province must conform to our standards....so make sure you throttle controller (governor) is connected, and set for max 110 km/hr...among many other things, but that's the one they are looking out for right now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry, should have been more specific...in Ontario, there is a requirement for re-testing professional drivers on their air brake endorsement and a medical every 5 years. Haz mat is done every 3 years. At age 65, it goes to every year, and there is a mandatory road test.
And you are only considered to have a 'current' DDC if it is within 5 years - so we do an annual course, so anyone who will 'expire' within the current year will remain 'current' for the next 5 years...

Ontario currently has the strictest regulations for professional drivers in North America....and all commercial vehicles entering and operating within the province must conform to our standards....so make sure you throttle controller (governor) is connected, and set for max 110 km/hr...among many other things, but that's the one they are looking out for right now.
interesting.... i have to re-new my medical card every 2 years....:-(
also, our DDC is only good for 3 years... :-x
i guess Ontario is not the "strictest" after all.... wish we had Ontario's law!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finished the course. Took about a week to get the certificate. Insurance company accepted it with no problem! Like I said it's a little boring but worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.