Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a set of new tires for a 2005EX AWD with almost 200K miles that I just bought last month. As there's some other issues with the car given the age I'd like to stay under $600 for the tires. After doing some research, I've narrowed down to 1) General Grabber ATX or 2) Kumho Crugen HT5, I see Cooper Discoverer AT3 being recommended too, but it may be a bit out of my price range given there's no sales/rebates going on for Cooper at the moment. Which set of tires would you recommend given my price constraint? Any other brand worth considering?
I believe the car has stock everything but current bald tires on the car are Sumitomo 235/65R16, should I go with the 225/75R16 that many folks have recommended here?

P.S.: I'm in Dallas but looking to relocate to Seattle with this car in a month or two (after it's fixed up) and would like to keep this car for as long as it'd let me. Looking for a set of tires that's versatile and can perform above average in both wet and light snow conditions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
Tire c70hoice depends on surface conditions and driver.

From your post I will assume you are looking for an all-weather tire for a competent and conscientious driver. (If you are an aggressive driver, you will need better tires.)

Do you drive often out of your home area, and where?
On what kind of surface do you drive most often, and what percentage is that?
What is the worst surface you need to drive on with any frequency, and what percentage is that?

I'm in Chicago. Our average winter road conditions have been close to the worst that Seattle has gotten. Our flat earth with deeper snow is like Seattles hilly terrain with less.

My personal favorite brand for economical highway driving is Yokohama, I had Avid AVS series P225-70 on my previous Element EX AWD. After 40,000 miles they had more than half the tread left. They were one of the least expensive choices at the time.

The best overall tires I've had in 50 years of driving were Michelins. Good handling and grip but less durable and more pricey.

The worst wearing tires I've had are on the 2008 Element EX AWD I got in 2015. Bridgestone Duelers P215-70. They had a production date of 2014 and looked new when I got the car. Five years and 22,000 miles later they look ready to replace.

When you zero in on what you need, consider Tire Rack and Discount Tire. Both have online ordering and can be installed locally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like all season Michelin Defenders 235 65R 16.
You car looks super slick! May I know why you went with 235/65R16? Any difference vs OE size vs 225/75R16?
Tire c70hoice depends on surface conditions and driver.

From your post I will assume you are looking for an all-weather tire for a competent and conscientious driver. (If you are an aggressive driver, you will need better tires.)

Do you drive often out of your home area, and where?
On what kind of surface do you drive most often, and what percentage is that?
What is the worst surface you need to drive on with any frequency, and what percentage is that?

I'm in Chicago. Our average winter road conditions have been close to the worst that Seattle has gotten. Our flat earth with deeper snow is like Seattles hilly terrain with less.

My personal favorite brand for economical highway driving is Yokohama, I had Avid AVS series P225-70 on my previous Element EX AWD. After 40,000 miles they had more than half the tread left. They were one of the least expensive choices at the time.

The best overall tires I've had in 50 years of driving were Michelins. Good handling and grip but less durable and more pricey.

The worst wearing tires I've had are on the 2008 Element EX AWD I got in 2015. Bridgestone Duelers P215-70. They had a production date of 2014 and looked new when I got the car. Five years and 22,000 miles later they look ready to replace.

When you zero in on what you need, consider Tire Rack and Discount Tire. Both have online ordering and can be installed locally.
Thanks! This is super helpful. I'd like to think I'm an ok driver, certainly not a maniac. Don't do much driving these days given Covid, 20 miles a week max locally for groceries... But after the move and hopefully the virus situation improves, I'd like to enjoy the beautiful outdoor Pacific Northwest has to offer, so yes some durable all-weather tires are ideal although I don't picture myself going far when there's heavy downpour or a snowstorm. Leaning towards discount tire at the moment and just wanted to narrow down my choice. AWD above recommended Michelin Defenders, Costco seems to run sales on Michelin often, but they're currently out of stock size 215/70R16 and/or 225/75R16, not sure if they do rainchecks. Also under the impression they don't install tires other than OE size.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My tires are a little bigger than stock but not too big where I have excessive tire noise. Michelins are quality tires and discount tire usually has some kind of promotion going. I also have insurance through discount tire on all four tires that has come in handy. It is an investment, but don't go cheap on tires. Never hurts to ask for a discount.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,124 Posts
You car looks super slick! May I know why you went with 235/65R16? Any difference vs OE size vs 225/75R16?
Here is an excellent chart from Ramblerdan's web site on tire size information:

I put a set of 225/75R16s on my '03 EX back in March, and I have found this to be the near perfect tire size upgrade for a stock height Element with stock aluminum wheels. Check out this link:

Hope this helps! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts