Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

My name is Tiffany and I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine. I was wondering if I'd be able to get some feed back from you guys. I've finally decided that I would like to purchase an Element - EX version. I really am impressed by the vehicle. Very pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it is to drive.. and love how functional it is.

I currently drive an 06 Honda Ridgeline RT and have had it for a year. No complaints really on the truck. My fiance and I are really active outdoorsy people. We have 2 Cardigan Welsh Corgis that we take everywhere we can. Have mountain bikes etc. You get the idea.. so the Element seemed to really fit in with our lifestyle opposed to the CRV that has less room.. even though it was still really nice!

Anyways.. I stopped in to test drive another 2010 Element today and it sealed the deal for me. I really want one! We talked a bit about price and the sales guy was great to work with.. so was his manager.

Anyways I'd like some feed back I guess on the price tag.

They dropped the Element down to 23,000 maybe a little less. And are giving me 12,500 for my Ridgeline. It's in good condition but it is the base model. It's a 2006 at 60k miles on it. So my loan would be around 13,000 and some change before even negotiating anything. I went on to say that I would rather see that loan after everything is said and done at around 10-11 thousand... but wasn't going to make a decision today. They were fine with it and the manger did say that if i were to decide to buy today he would give it to me for that.

My question is.. is that a good price or should I be negotiating for more?

The one I test drove today was the metallic red.. very I think my favorite color is the Orange one (I know it's not the technical name..). They said they would able to get whatever color I wanted without any extra shipping handling charges etc.

Thoughts and input would be much appreciated! Should i try to negotiate more? Or is this a good deal!

Thanks so much everyone and I look forward to getting to know you all! :):)

·
Registered
68 Posts
You haven't provided much information about the Element you're buying in terms of options, other than it being an EX. Invoice on a 2010 EX AWD is $22,226. Sometimes you can buy a car at invoice price, so this is a good starting point. Look into no-haggle options like Costco and AAA pricing.

On the trade-in, you also seem to have room for improvement. Edmunds gives a dealer trade-in of $12,500 and a private party value of $14,000. So $10,000 should certainly be doable, and $8,000 isn't out of the question if you can sell the Ridgeline privately for $14,000 and negotiate really well on the purchase.

Plus, Honda has a financing deal going for 1.9% interest for 36 months that's good for another month or so, and for the total amount you're trying to finance, the payments should be affordable.

You might try telling the dealer that you'd really like to do business with them, but you're looking at the $8,000 difference between the Ridgeline and invoice on the Element and trying to understand what's fair for you. And you do know that $8,000 is hard for them to do that on their end - you really do understand - so you're going to shop around a bit more and in the meantime try to sell your truck privately. You've not offered anything specific at this point, but they'll understand that there's a decent chance you won't be back, because you're also saying you are planning to shop around a bit more. Tell them you like them, and that you wish you could work something out and see what they offer.

Since pricing varies by area of the country and options selected, you'll want to do your own research into pricing at kbb.com and edmunds.com and come to your own conclusion about the value of the Ridgeline RT.

You can always say yes tomorrow... time is on your side.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts