Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I do not currently own an E, but I am in the process of selling my 2000 VW TDI and getting a '05/'06 Element AWD. I have a question or two and was hoping you guys could help me out by answering some.

I live in Northern California and I go to the snow a LOT!(north lake tahoe) I was wondering how the E handles in the snow? anyone ever take theirs up there in the winter? how does it handle? snow tires?

Any info would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Welcome to the cult!

We live in flat Ohio and don't get much snow, but whatever we get our E handles it great. Others will chime in with their suggestions but I would think you go for it and enjoy! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Living in Canada, we have had no problems at all with winter driving....
Make sure you get a good set of all season tires....

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Nothing but good things to say about the AWD system on my 2006. I have driven on some questionable days here in the mountains of Utah. Questionable because the plows had not been out, and I was pushing a fair amount with the bumper. No problem at all. Snow conditions are sometimes more a problem, heavy wet snow that strains any vehicle to drive in can get you stuck. I remember reading some stories about the Seattle snow storm last winter that was nearly impassible because it was so heavy and wet. Here in Utah, we generally get dry powdery snow and that makes bombing through it much easier.

There are a few in CA that have listed some stories about Tahoe winter driving, and what I remember it was positive. I think you'll like the E's AWD system.

Welcome to the gang, lots to read here!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Snow

I drive quite a bit in Flagstaff, AZ in the snow and ice. Mine has done well, no accidents yet. A popular game up there is "count the explorers in the snow bank". Never seen an E in one.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Heck, mine is only 2wd and I put a set of blizzacks on last year and went through everything, I live in the great lakes snow belt, E's are great in the snow!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a question along the same lines. I frequent the Tahoe area during snow season, and I just got my '09 E AWD in May so the stock tires are still pretty new and only have 5,000 miles on them.

Will it handle pretty well in the Tahoe snow with the stock tires? I can't really afford new tires :-/ As lame as it sounds, should I consider getting chains???

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I have a question along the same lines. I frequent the Tahoe area during snow season, and I just got my '09 E AWD in May so the stock tires are still pretty new and only have 5,000 miles on them.

Will it handle pretty well in the Tahoe snow with the stock tires? I can't really afford new tires :-/ As lame as it sounds, should I consider getting chains???
I did NOT like the OEM Goodyears for the mountain roads in B.C. in the winter but YMMV. If you really can't afford snow tires, chains may be your only alternative. I haven't used them for years as, again IMO, they are a PITA (be careful never to drive with them on bare pavement).

Better safe than sorry I always say but winter driving is as much "common sense" as it is equipment. Drive sensibly (no quick starts, stops or turns) and defensively. The AWD system in the E really does work pretty well but it won't help you stop (or turn) in slippery conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did NOT like the OEM Goodyears for the mountain roads in B.C. in the winter but YMMV. If you really can't afford snow tires, chains may be your only alternative. I haven't used them for years as, again IMO, they are a PITA (be careful never to drive with them on bare pavement).

Better safe than sorry I always say but winter driving is as much "common sense" as it is equipment. Drive sensibly (no quick starts, stops or turns) and defensively. The AWD system in the E really does work pretty well but it won't help you stop (or turn) in slippery conditions.
Chains are probably my better option, since it's about 150 mile drive from Tahoe to where I live, plus all the driving on regular roads. I'm not sure how the snow tires would handle that...

I feel stupid for asking, but since I have AWD, do I need to get chains for ALL four tires?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!!!!!!!

Thank you everyone for the info! I am selling my car in the next two months and getting an E AWD.

This may be the first forum where I came in as a newbie and asked a simple question without someone jumping down my throat and making me feel like a moron.

You guys rock!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
EOC is def not like VWVortex, no need for a flame retardant suit here.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Chains are probably my better option, since it's about 150 mile drive from Tahoe to where I live, plus all the driving on regular roads. I'm not sure how the snow tires would handle that...

I feel stupid for asking, but since I have AWD, do I need to get chains for ALL four tires?
no, you only need chains for the fronts.

California has 3 levels of Chain control. 1st level lets AWD w/ M/S tires on thru w/o chains, but requires the vehicle to carry chains in the vehicle. 2WD vehicles must install the chains. this covers >80% of the chain control areas. you can read more about the chain control levels if you're interested.

do not forget that 1 of the biggest problems w/ driving in snow is stopping. everyone worries about getting going, but forgets that you'll need to stop sometime. make sure you leave room for longer stopping distances.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
definately carry chains if you are going to Tahoe in the winter. You never know when the CHP will be a prick about chains and its much cheaper to buy over then internet at home than one of the overpriced places up there.

I've never had any problems with the E in snow on regular roads. Though last January we went up to Tahoe and had no problems until we decided to go to Fallen Leaf Lake. the small access road was unplowed, but local traffic had worn two tire ruts that turned out to be solid ice. we were slippin and slidin for about a half mile (OEM tires with about 30 k on them) before we decided to turn around (thank the honda gods for the E small turning radius) and then almost got hit head on by a crazy lady in a jeep grand cherokee who was sliding all over and going way too fast on the one lane road.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
definately carry chains if you are going to Tahoe in the winter. You never know when the CHP will be a prick about chains and its much cheaper to buy over then internet at home than one of the overpriced places up there.

I've never had any problems with the E in snow on regular roads. Though last January we went up to Tahoe and had no problems until we decided to go to Fallen Leaf Lake. the small access road was unplowed, but local traffic had worn two tire ruts that turned out to be solid ice. we were slippin and slidin for about a half mile (OEM tires with about 30 k on them) before we decided to turn around (thank the honda gods for the E small turning radius) and then almost got hit head on by a crazy lady in a jeep grand cherokee who was sliding all over and going way too fast on the one lane road.
Yet another reason to change out your OEM tires :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,880 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts