Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone looking for some help. I just had a new catalytic converter installed at the honda dealership on my 2003 element EX. This, after mine was stolen right off my car in the street one night here in los angeles. Anyway, when driving out of the dealership after picking up the car the car stalled and died. An Employee took it for a spin and died on him to. I noticed the rpms were under 1 and the car sounded abnormally quiet.

Their tech said it sounded like an air intake control valve issue that it was just not working well. I told him I haven't had this issue before bringing the car in to get the new catalytic converter installed so what would've changed?

Now, today, being the day after I just got my car back my idol speeds are all over the place. The cars rpm goes up and down by itself, and when I go to drive I don't even need to step on the gas pedal to maintain 15mph speed.

Video - http://youtu.be/TyYM6tP8yL0

Anybody know if you put a new catalytic converter on your E that it would affect idle speed? Mechanic guy said it could be something that has nothing to do with the catalytic converter (hence the air intake control valve) but I'm a little suspect because this just started happening once the new catalytic converter was put on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Where's the rpm at when in park idling? Woops just watched your vid, get a long screw driver and hammer. While the car is idling in park give the idle air control valve a couple of love taps to see if the idle goes to normal. This will cross it off your list.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind. A- something always breaks when you fix something else. B- dealer attempted to do an idle relearn for ect ect reason, but since the iacv was on its way out or dirty it caused the problem. Either way my dollar is on the iacv and it can be cleaned.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,604 Posts
My 02 cents.
Something is glogging the exhaust. Possibly when the scumbags were hacking off on your pipes a piece fell into the pipes.

simple test is remove the pipe after the cat and road test.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey all, yes my cat clamp is on the way. you all should get one, as thefts are all across the country. As for things breaking I go with A! sucked that it happened as it did. And in terms of junk in the tail pipe from the theft, nothing is there as they replaced the whole muffler as well. So all brand new.

thanks all

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I agree with Ramblerdan, sure IACV is usually the suspect for roaming idle but they dont suffer out-of-the-blue failures or sticking.

The ECU also relies on o2 sensors to maintain idle & a fault in the o2 or its wiring (wiring damage is high in theft cases) can cause issues with the ECU & possibly what you are experiencing here. It would also make sense considering they are related to the cat & in the immediate area of the delicate catalytic removal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would take it back to the dealer and tell them it won't run properly. Call your insurance co and tell them the dealer hasn't repaired your car properly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cat. Mine got stolen just last night in Los Angeles too. The scumbag thieves cut the pipe clean and left one of the o2 sensors but cut the other o2 sensor wire on the actual cat.

Instead of going to a dealer, I just took it to a muffler shop and they replaced the cat and o2 sensor for under $500. They also reset the Check Engine light using a scanner. No idle issues afterwards.

Before the fix, I did notice that while I was driving to the shop that my idle as all over the place. Mine was left with only 1 o2 sensor while the other one was missing. Perhaps a bad o2 sensor config is the culprit in your case?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cat. Mine got stolen just last night in Los Angeles too. The scumbag thieves cut the pipe clean and left one of the o2 sensors but cut the other o2 sensor wire on the actual cat.

Instead of going to a dealer, I just took it to a muffler shop and they replaced the cat and o2 sensor for under $500. They also reset the Check Engine light using a scanner. No idle issues afterwards.

Before the fix, I did notice that while I was driving to the shop that my idle as all over the place. Mine was left with only 1 o2 sensor while the other one was missing. Perhaps a bad o2 sensor config is the culprit in your case?
I know it has been 5 years, but can you tell me what shop you went to? Just happened to me here in Torrance Sunday night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts