Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Least we know the next gen element will be on a civic platform and be smaller, i will stick with mine!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
In a way, that's real a shame they're messing with success. The current Civic is a great combination of size, comfort and fuel efficiency. However, I'm glad they're reconsidering the "going larger" plans because I thought that's what the Accord was for.

·
Registered
541 Posts
how much smaller?!?! if i wanted smaller, i would buy a Fit..... :-(
hopefully, they don't mess up the civic too bad(like the 08+ Accord)... this gen Civic was very successful.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much smaller?!?! if i wanted smaller, i would buy a Fit..... :-(
hopefully, they don't mess up the civic too bad(like the 08+ Accord)... this gen Civic was very successful.

Just slightly smaller from what I've heard, the emphasis will be on lighter and more fuel efficient. Originally their plan was to make it noticeably larger than the current one so they scaled that way back.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
If you look at the older Civics and the current model (same with Accord), the Civic is now the size of an Accord and an Accord is now a full-size sedan. Personally I welcome this, the models are now so far outside of their original intent they're almost unrecognizable.

And as far as this changing the Element, I'm not so sure. Sure the CR-V and Element were based off the Civic design initially, but they're really their own creatures now. Besides, didn't they have this "global light truck" platform that the new CR-V and Element designs were supposed to be based around?

Maybe this will spur Honda to re-visit bringing their diesel engine to the US? Hopefully?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think everyone is getting this confused. The article states that the next Civic will be "smaller than originally designed" meaning the 9th generation was initially designed to be larger (common; every gen has been larger than the one it was replacing).

A few paragraphs after it goes on to say the next generation Civic was planned to be larger than the current models.

In other words, the Civic will probably not change in size much more than what is is now.

And "sharing the same architecture" doesn't imply that they will start manufacturing Elements on Civic framing .. it just means that they share similar structural design traits.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I think everyone is getting this confused. The article states that the next Civic will be "smaller than originally designed" meaning the 9th generation was initially designed to be larger (common; every gen has been larger than the one it was replacing).

A few paragraphs after it goes on to say the next generation Civic was planned to be larger than the current models.

In other words, the Civic will probably not change in size much more than what is is now.

And "sharing the same architecture" doesn't imply that they will start manufacturing Elements on Civic framing .. it just means that they share similar structural design traits.
Not exactly. The next Civic was all finished and getting ready for production in 2010. Ito put a complete halt to those plans and is making them perform a complete redesign on the Civic. He is having them go back and redo many of their future plans.

As for the Civic platform being shared by the CRV and Element, it doesn't mean similar structural design traits as you stated. It means the vehicles all share the platform, engine, transmission, drivetrain, etc. It's a cost savings measure, plus in the US they are all built in the same factory which also saves money.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
What???? Honda had a SIX speed MT in a 4wd Civic with a low speed pulling gear?!?!?!? Where is that transmission today????

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
What???? Honda had a SIX speed MT in a 4wd Civic with a low speed pulling gear?!?!?!? Where is that transmission today????
you still see them one the road.
when we got our civic in '97, this is the one i wanted to get. but they had stopped making them.
well, until they made the element :roll:

·
Registered
751 Posts
As for the Civic platform being shared by the CRV and Element, it doesn't mean similar structural design traits as you stated. It means the vehicles all share the platform, engine, transmission, drivetrain, etc. It's a cost savings measure, plus in the US they are all built in the same factory which also saves money.
Larry, are you sure?

If I recall correctly, the 2.4l engine is available in the Accord and the CR-V I don't recall it being available in a Civic. I have no clue on the transmission options.

Now if you take our 2001 Civic and put a mirror to the engine bay, you can see some major similarities to the Element's engine bay. Same with certain interior items. However, that could just be Honda design that is carried over across their lineup.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't think the 2.4L is available in any other Civic; although I believe variant K series motors have been used in the current and last generation EP3 Civic Si. The K series has been used in all kinds of Acura/Honda models for years now...

I don't think that Honda usesidentical engine, drivetrain, transmissions, etc from one car to another. And sure things in the engine bay and interior look similar in my Civic and Element, but I think it would be rare to find identical part numbers crossing over from one to the other.

Transmissions might be strikingly similar but the mechanics are tweaked and tuned for the model. Same with the motors, suspension components, etc. I can even tell the way the suspension, controls arms and drive axles on the Civic are from a similar design platform of the Element and vis verse.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They need to go back to the 4wd or awd civic. Seriously though living in michigan and needing 4wd, you wont find any of those older styles around here with 4wd

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is definitely big news... I hope Honda maintains it's safety record and doesn't sacrifice crash ratings for fuel efficiency... they have to find the right median.

I also think that if Honda is reviewing it's current platform and lineup with the top priority being gas mileage, the Element may be in serious risk of being discontinued.

·
12,179 Posts
This is definitely big news... I hope Honda maintains it's safety record and doesn't sacrifice crash ratings for fuel efficiency... they have to find the right median.

I also think that if Honda is reviewing it's current platform and lineup with the top priority being gas mileage, the Element may be in serious risk of being discontinued.

Honda can kill the E and build another 15,000 plus CRV's a year in Ohio.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts