Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Royal Summit is not what I was really looking for. It's more of a downhill,
"technical" trail. I was more interested in something less "dangerous", more fun. I was thinking if anyone would like to check out the St. Louis trail next year. We can go on a Sat. for this, since no one can make it weekdays. I was looking at it on YouTube and it seems to be less work, dont have to pedal up, and longer. I'm posting this early, so those who may be interested, can let us know when they can make it. Would be nice if at least four of us could make it.:)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I heard St louis can be pretty advanced and challenging. Alot of deep drop offs
but I have never been there so can't really be certain. Kdogg??

·
Registered
890 Posts
Oh Yes. You WILL Have To Get Up To The Top Somehow...

I don't know. I haven't been up there in a really, really long time, but the 2-3 times that I did ride the St. Louis Heights downhill, I didn't find it particularly memorable. The views are nice, though.

It's essentially a bomb straight down from Wa`ahila Ridge Park, off of Ruth Place at the top, to Dole Street at the bottom. I don't think the entire run is more than a shade over a mile long and if you lolligag, it might take about 10 minutes, if that.

Back in the day, it was a very popular place for the downhillers to practice since it's easily accessible and the only "legal" offroad downhill run smack in the middle of town. The Tantalus Trail Network has been off-limits to mountain bikes for the last 17-18 years, and the only other downhill run was out in Waimea Valley.

People who ride St. Louis will usually shuttle with two vehicles, or they'll designate a driver who'll shuttle everyone to the top, meet the riders back at the bottom for a pickup, then they'll drive back up the hill. They'll switch off so that everyone shares driving duties and gets some riding time in. That was done if someone owned a big pickup or van. My friends who were hardcore downhillers would ride St. Louis on the weekdays, then drive out to ride Waimea Valley on the weekends.

If you can't shuttle, you're going to have to pedal up to the trailhead and if you hate climbing, this is NOT the ride for you. St. Louis Heights Drive gains elevation at an average gradient of around 7.5% and at it's max, will kick up to 17%. I guess you could always catch The Bus up, if the bus has one of those bike racks on the front.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Thanks Kdogg

Yes! our inhouse research and info person comes through and gives us the true deals on what's up with St louis.. So Kdogg any suggestions for rides
that fit our mere biking skills? :-o:-o:cry:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes, Essay Time Again...

Yes! our inhouse research and info person comes through and gives us the true deals on what's up with St louis.. So Kdogg any suggestions for rides that fit our mere biking skills? :-o:-o:cry:
You guys are going to think I sound like a broken record, but if you're looking for an easy introduction to offroading, Ka`ena Point is a good place to start. Yes, it's bumpy, but there are no serious climbs or descents, and it's an ideal spot to develop some basic bike handling skills. If you want to ride longer, you can always extend it by riding further along the pavement.

Another place is "AD's" (Ka Iwi Coast") out near Sandy Beach. The "trails" are actually very rutted 4WD tracks that criss-cross each other and the area is now bordered on it's upper side by the new parking area to the Makapu`u Lighthouse hike. If I recall correctly, the land is actually private property owned by Kamehameha Schools, but it seems that people go out there all the time. If not to go mud-bogging, people go to fish, surf, or to explore the tidepools. Not very exciting, but I guess if you plod around, you could kill an hour out there.

Then there's the Norfolk/Maunawili Ditch Trail out in Waimanalo. Norfolk actually sits on private property and I'm not sure if people still ride out there, but the Maunawili Ditch Trail is part of State trail system. It's fairly flat and wide, and can be looped by riding on a stretch of pavement to get back to the starting point. One thing to keep in mind is that the trail is shared-use and people ride horses out there. Just need to show a little courtesy and some etiquette if you encounter a rider on horseback. Might be a little muddy this time of year, though.

Actually, O`ahu is not the greatest place to ride offroad and the options are fairly limited. I mean, there ARE places to go, but many of the epic rides are actually on private property and to access those areas, you'd technically be trespassing. Other places require "insider" knowledge since they go into some pretty remote areas.

For example, as mentioned before, Mililani/Ka Uka is one of those places. There are miles upon miles of dirt roads, jeep track, and dirt bike trails back there, you could literally spend hours accessing parts of O`ahu that few people will ever see. Again, it's probably a bust to ride back there now, especially since the spate of brushfires in that area this past summer.

Here's the bottom line that you need to keep in mind. You need to ask yourself what you're prepared to do to undertake a ride. The whole spirit and intent of mountain biking is centered around unfettered acess to all kinds of terrain - from the smoothest pavement to the roughest trails, flat or hilly - all under the rider's own power. Sometimes, you're going to have to sacrifice, sweat, endure some pain, (and possibly, blow chunks), but the rewards are well worth the effort.

If you want to go mountain biking, you're going to have to work. That's reality; that's just part and parcel of what it's all about. Everyone, and I mean everyone, starts out with "mere" bicycling skills. As with anything else, it all depends on what you want to accomplish and if you want to improve on those skills, and your fitness and endurance. You have to start from somewhere.

If you want to ride easy and leisurely, then that's okay too and please don't misunderstand me. There is absolutely nothing wrong about riding somewhere like the PH bike path. There's absolutely nothing wrong with recreational riding. But as with many things in life, you're seldom going to get something for nothing.

Happy Holidays! :hol002:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the video on YouTube of the St. Louis trail seemed longer, since you did it, I guess its not. I'm not planning on competing, just looking for something different than riding on streets. I'm more looking into trying different things, not how fast I can get from A to B. RS is like, for me, 45min to go up and less than 10min to go down, not really worth the effort. I will continue to go there because it should help my stamina, but its not really a trail where we can get together and enjoy. Kaena Pt. may have possiblilities, since I've only been there once and we stayed on the "road". Just trying to find a trail where we dont have to worry about cars, but not paved like PH. (I could never compete with someone like K-Dogg, but that's not my intention. Just something more interesting than flat pavement).:grin:

·
Registered
890 Posts
OK, the video on YouTube of the St. Louis trail seemed longer, since you did it, I guess its not. I'm not planning on competing, just looking for something different than riding on streets. I'm more looking into trying different things, not how fast I can get from A to B. RS is like, for me, 45min to go up and less than 10min to go down, not really worth the effort. I will continue to go there because it should help my stamina, but its not really a trail where we can get together and enjoy. Kaena Pt. may have possiblilities, since I've only been there once and we stayed on the "road". Just trying to find a trail where we dont have to worry about cars, but not paved like PH. (I could never compete with someone like K-Dogg, but that's not my intention. Just something more interesting than flat pavement).:grin:
Sorry, not really saying that you have to "bomb" the run as fast as you possibly can; you can ride it at whatever pace. It's just that at St. Louis Heights, you have to get up to the top one way or another, then it's essentially a pretty straight shot back down. As I've mentioned, it's been a very long while since I've been there and unless people have recut the trail or added spurs, it's basically one way up and one way back down.

However, if any of you are interested in exploring PC Flats/Kuaokala, I'd be more than happy to show you around. It's very interesting, there are a lot of spectacular views, it covers a lot of ground, and definitely not flat! You will have to work to get up there though, but it's worth the effort. :hol002:

MERRY CHRISTMAS !! to all you krazy island Epeople's...8)
And Mele Kalikimaka to you too, Dave! :hol029:

·
Registered
890 Posts
More Food For Thought

OK, the video on YouTube of the St. Louis trail seemed longer, since you did it, I guess its not. RS is like, for me, 45min to go up and less than 10min to go down, not really worth the effort. Just something more interesting than flat pavement).:grin:
Never having been to Royal Summit, I suspect that St. Louis Heights may be similar, only the climb up is on twisty, congested, St. Louis Heights Drive. Takes a while to ride up, but next to nothing to come back down.

Another place worth mentioning (although it's hilly) is Kuliouou Valley to Hahaione Valley out in Hawaii Kai. Essentially, you start in Kuliouou and ride/walk up a series of switchbacks to an area set up with picnic tables. The trail beyond this point is unrideable and continues on to the summit of the Ko`olau, overlooking Waimanalo.

However, if you bypass the picnic area and continue along the ridge for a bit, you link up with another trail that descends into Hahaione Valley along a series of rocky switchbacks that exits above a concrete drainage culvert that the old-school skateboarders called "Pipeline Bowl". From there, you can ride down the hill to Kalanianaole Hwy, and back to Kuliouou.

Well, come to think of it now, this is a pretty technical ride, but you don't have to do it quickly. An advantage with Kuliouou is that unlike other Ko`olau summit areas, it generally doesn't get as much rain and it stays relatively dry. Just something to think about. Actually, as I'm writing this and the more that I think about things, there aren't many MTB rides here that aren't hilly... Save for Ka`ena Point, Maunawili Ditch, and "AD's". :|

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K-Dogg, seems like you've ridden most of the trails here. I dont mind "trying" some of the trails you've mentioned, its just that I cant go at your speed. Either you'll have to wait for me or I need someone who's as out of shape as I am.:lol: It wont be "fun" for you if you always have to wait and it will be hard for me trying to catch up to you. I'm sure that aching and Elemento are in better shape than me, but Elemento likes to take pictures, so I could catch up to him when he does.:grin: If we can get together for one of the trails you've mentioned, just figure that it will take me twice as long as you.
In the meantime, I'll try to get in better shape.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went up RS this morning. Still cant make it up last hill, only made it a third of the way. Its an improvement, but.......:-( Ran into a another biker, he says he rides on Sat. and if you go in the morning around 9am, its not crowded. The good thing is that it's around 1/2 mile one way, so everyone can go at their own pace and meet up (down?) at the bottom. It took me less than two hours to do two trips, and I have to walk up the hill. You can go down the fire road and the "technical trail". There are other trails that I've not looked into, didn't want to go alone, one is supposed to go to the next street over. How about it Elemento, aching and K-Dogg.:grin:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm Game

Went up RS this morning. Still cant make it up last hill, only made it a third of the way. Its an improvement, but.......:-( Ran into a another biker, he says he rides on Sat. and if you go in the morning around 9am, its not crowded. The good thing is that it's around 1/2 mile one way, so everyone can go at their own pace and meet up (down?) at the bottom. It took me less than two hours to do two trips, and I have to walk up the hill. You can go down the fire road and the "technical trail". There are other trails that I've not looked into, didn't want to go alone, one is supposed to go to the next street over. How about it Elemento, aching and K-Dogg.:grin:
Let me know if you'd like to ride this Saturday. The NWS is calling for another cold front to drop down by mid-week, with perhaps some rain but hopefully, it'll clear up by the weekend. I was planning on riding somewhere/somehow anyway. You can either post or PM me, if you want to plan something. Where is the trailhead? Is it at the top of Kaahele St?

As a side note, brace yourselves folks. It looks like it's going to be another very smoky New Year's Eve...

Speaking of New Year's Eve, I'm free this Thursday (or Friday, for that matter). I'm taking a vacation day to make it a long weekend. LMK.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been to both RS and Saint Louis and if RS is too technical, Saint Louis will literally kick your ass. There are multiple ways down now and if you take the wrong turn, you could be facing some BIG drops. Much bigger than the ones up at RS. Also, it's much easier to get lost at Saint Louis because of all of the new trails being made. Most of them do meet up at the same point in the end though. I wouldn't attempt it with a cross country bike.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Hey peeps a bike ride sounds like fun. I have a home improvement project that will probably last at least a few weeks so prob will be out. If you peeps plan to go make sure to take pics...cool

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey peeps a bike ride sounds like fun. I have a home improvement project that will probably last at least a few weeks so prob will be out. If you peeps plan to go make sure to take pics...cool
I was thinking of this as a ride for next year. Let us know when you'll be done. Hope I'm not being nosey, but what are you doing?:)
I hope I'm not being misunderstood. I'm not trying to be a competitive biker, all I was thinking about, is trying something different. If something is above my and my bikes ability, I will pass (if the drop is too high, I'll walk around it.) Riding on a paved street is nice, but you dont need a full suspension bike for that. On the other hand, the reason I bought a XC bike is because of its weight. I have a hard time climbing hills now, imagine what it would be like with a downhill bike. When I think about it, Kaena Pt. is ok. I only went once with K-Dogg and I spent most of time trying to catch up to him. I think if I went and tried experimenting with the different trails and terrain, it would be challenging enough. When Elemento gets done with his projects, maybe we can try this again.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Wood repair, patch, and maintenance on my roof. Maybe plan a meet 3rd or 4th week of January depending on everything and everybody..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts