Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd have posted in Headlines, but I'm not cool enough to meet the cut..

http://www.autonews.com/article/20091214/OEM04/312149980/1273

Although Element was no hit, Honda plans a 2nd generation

Mark Rechtin
Automotive News
December 14, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

LOS ANGELES -- Although the Element has been a disappointing seller, Honda plans to offer a second generation of its quirky crossover rather than treat it as an experiment.

The company is hitting a key demographic with the Element that it does not reach with the vehicle's platform sibling, the CR-V, said John Mendel, American Honda Motor Co. executive vice president.

"Our specialty vehicles give a little spice to the brand," Mendel said in an interview. "It's all about platform usability. And the Element is part of that strategy."

He said internal data show that no one cross-shops the CR-V and Element. "In the showroom you couldn't get most Element buyers to even sit in a CR-V," Mendel said.

Element buyers like its flexibility and storage capability, which make it ideal for stowing mountain bikes, surfboards and ski equipment, he said. The CR-V is aimed more at young families.

As a result, Honda will derive another outside-the-box vehicle from CR-V underpinnings to replace the Element.

Mendel declined to say when it will arrive, whether it will look like the current Element or even whether it will be named Element.

The Element went on sale in 2003. Other than a mild reskin in 2007, it has remained unchanged.

Honda initially hoped to sell 75,000 units annually. But after its first year, when 67,478 were sold, the Element never managed to break 60,000. Honda sold 26,447 last year, and sales in 2009 are down 46 percent to 13,458 through November.

By contrast, the CR-V is the segment leader. At the peak year of 2007, Honda sold nearly 220,000.

·
Registered
997 Posts
"Mendel declined to say when it will arrive, whether it will look like the current Element or even whether it will be named Element."

wow, could he decline to say much more about it? (he then turned, wispered "I was never here" and disappeared in a cloud of smoke)

So, someday Honda will make another vehicle that they think will fill a similar need to the Element and it may or may not be called an Element and it may or may not look somewhat similar to an Element.
It is nice that they see a demand for this type of vehicle but I wonder how the sales numbers track compared to their advertising effort for the Element. About the time they stopped advertising it on TV it seems like the sales dropped off.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
They've always let the E languish in no-publicity hell, and even the little they did give it did almost nothing to promote the model's strengths. It is good to see, however, that they do acknowledge the Element's uniqueness and the demand for function over form, so let's hope that's a good sign for the future. I have a bad feeling it'll be over-analyzed and end up with something that pleases nobody...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The CRV is boring, that is why it sells, if they want to revise the Element so it sells on it's own without advertising they'll have to style it to look like new GM/Ford crossovers, and add all the fussy fluff. If they do that, I wouldn't call it an Element anymore.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
CRV's.....Poop!

The Element is a vehicle that is too hip! Generation X Y and Z'ers can appreciate them.

Maybe that's why Unhappy Divorced Soccer Mom's and Men who wear Sperry Topsiders, Khaki Shorts pulled up to their chests, and Taupe Colored socks like CRV's

...Just Sayin'

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I thought that was Twi & Wee wee!:roll:
Twi and Wee Wee, no wonder my Avatar has to pee pee..................

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just kill off the E.. if they continue it down the path of the 10.. with stupid front-end and lack of sunroof, might as well just make a Honda version of the Nissan Cube..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just kill off the E.. if they continue it down the path of the 10.. with stupid front-end and lack of sunroof, might as well just make a Honda version of the Nissan Cube..
Hey. Thanks, Hans!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
That article is flawed. It says that the only change to the E was the '07 mild reskin... what about the '09/10 big changes to the front? I guess that doesn't count?

That Crossroad thing looks like Volkswagen. I had to doubletake just to be sure that was a Honda badge. No thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts