Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new rack tacked together. My buddy is going to finish the TIG welding this week and hopefully I can paint it next weekend. This will be used for kayaks. I needed to get the front-back span longer for our 17' kayaks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice! could you show how the rack attaches to the car itself? i want to make my own rack because I have seen a few threads of people doing it but i want to get some other ideas also before I take the plunge

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I get the rack back I will post some close up shots of the mounting feet. I basically just have some plates that screw down to the factory mounting holes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is how we do a weekend up north. There would be one more kayak wedged up there if my son came along.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. The rack has worked out great. It is nice to just throw the kayaks up there and just have to strap them to the rack and not need bow and stern lines as well.

One regret I have is that I was considering having the front and rear cross bar go through the side rectangular tubing. This would have allowed me to telescope some poles off the side for an awning. Not sure how I talked myself out of this...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Brilliant! I will be making one these in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very nice set up. My wife and I are thinking about getting some kayaks and I will probably be making a rack like that. Thanks for the pictures. By the way, what wheels are those on you E? Thanks, Richie

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. They are Sport Edition wheels (18" x 8"). I don't see this model anymore on Tirerack. I bought them used for a screaming deal off of craigslist when another Element owner traded their vehicle in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just thought I would put some more info on the material I used to build this rack. I ordered the steel from Stock Car Steel. The round tubing is 1 1/8" diameter so it matches Yakima bars and will work with Yakima and some Thule attachments. I used a hole saw to drill 1 1/8" holes into the inner wall of the rectangular tubing for the crossbars to slide into.

The steel cost me about $160 delivered which is less than what other racks cost. You just need to find someone who will weld it up for beer...

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey TedSti
have seen your wheel size ... interesting
can you tell me which offset they have ? and which tire size are you driving with them?
any problems or did they fit well ?
I'm asking because I will order 18x8 rims also with 235 tires but I'm unsure about the offset :-(

mfg der Gep

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey TedSti
have seen your wheel size ... interesting
can you tell me which offset they have ? and which tire size are you driving with them?
any problems or did they fit well ?
I'm asking because I will order 18x8 rims also with 235 tires but I'm unsure about the offset :-(

mfg der Gep
I am not sure of the offset on the wheels, they are 18x8 though. When I bought them they had 235/50-18 tires which is what is in the picture. There were no fitment issues. I have 225/55-18 on them now which is the stock size for the Element SC. There is a big thread on tires and wheels that fit.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I am not sure of the offset on the wheels, they are 18x8 though. When I bought them they had 235/50-18 tires which is what is in the picture. There were no fitment issues. I have 225/55-18 on them now which is the stock size for the Element SC. There is a big thread on tires and wheels that fit.
both Tirerack and Discount Tire have a strong predilection for keeping the offset at OEM spec, even when plus sizing, so i would expect the offset to be 45, same as OEM wheels. i've never worked for either of these companies, have only been a customer and/or potential customer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for doing the work, posting pictures and listing supplies for the awesome rack you built! I can't imagine why anyone WOULD NOT want that for hauling kayaks and stuff around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How awesome is that!!!! Thanks so much tedsti!! I'll see if I can get some friends to help out - My other option now is to get tracks installed and then new towers and cross bars, very expensive proposition. your design, along with some pre-existing universal mount/crossbars solves the problem beautifully!

Thank you for deep in my heart! I.O.U ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts