Honda Element Owners Club banner

Nikko ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  gisele 
#1 ·
In his non-limping days:

Poor guy took a slip coming out of a bath and started limping. At first I thought it was his hip, being a shepherd and all, but the doctor today diagnosed it to be a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).

He's having surgery tomorrow morning (11 years old and 102 lbs). I've been reading up on the various types of surgery that may be performed, and I hope it all goes well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Is that what happened to ChickWhoRips' dog Peanut? Either way best of luck to Nikko, I'm sure he'll do great :)

#3 ·
Best wishes to Nikko (and you, as this is going to be a long haul). Please keep us posted.

A friend's 8-year old Springer went through this a year ago and to get her out while convalescing, her owner bought this Burley "Tail Wagon" dog trailer. It also works as a stroller. The back end and top open up so you can lift the pup into the trailer or they can walk in with barely a step up.

It was a God-send.

http://www.burley.com/products/pets/tail_wagon.cfm

Attachments

#4 ·
Nikko and I went to the surgical center today, and he was completely nervous. I tried my best "hey nothing is going on here" voice, but he knew it was a hospital, and he didn't like it one bit. He started shivering at one point, and I've never seen him so scared as to shiver.

The med tech came and did his thing, and all Nikko could do was stand by the door where it opened, almost trying to will the door open. Then the doctor came and did her assessment, and the suggestion is a tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO). From my readings and considering Nikko's size, I thought that was the best option as well.

I was a bit off the whole day after leaving him. Luckily, the clinic seem to realize that dog people are crazy, so they called me often to keep me updated on the surgery.

The surgery went well. All was routine, and I am to pick him up tomorrow. I live in a multi-floor home, and I'm trying to set up the entrance for him to stay for the next 3 weeks so that he will not have to navigate any stairs.

Poor little guy. I still think of my 102 lb dog as little because I remember him as a puppy.

Nikko as a pup:

Check out those radar ears!

#12 ·
Busted out laughling :D

Nikko as a pup:

Check out those radar ears!
OMG! It's ears and chunky paws...there's no dog.

Oh heavens he was a cutie. Did he have balance issues--seriously look at those ears (love 'em) but I guess those tree trunk legs/paws kept him from tipping. Too too adorable.

-g

#6 ·
So happy Nilkko came through the surgery o.k. He is handsome and what a cute puppy he was. Love those ears.

#7 ·
I am sorry that he hurt his leg. Our beagle had a similar injury a while back. I was really scared for him. Due to his size the surgeon recommended the extracapsular procedure. He came out of the surgery and he definitely was hurting for a while and it took a bit for him to get his confidence back. So far so good, he his running around now and seems to do well. Just take it easy with his recovery and definitely be on the conservative side as far as activities go.

I hope his recovery goes good!!!

John

#8 ·
Great to hear good news about Nikko! I know how it goes with a shaking, scared dog as Cheyenne still does that often when she's nervous due to her puppyhood. Just be there to love him and hug him and convince him that he needs to take it easy and he'll be up and back at your side in no time!

#9 ·
I brought Nikko home today. He's been heavily sedated, and it took myself and a med tech to get him into the E. Once home, he promptly peed on the thick and comfortable sleeping bag I had set up atop the carpet for him to lay. I moved the sleeping bag away and replaced the area with blankets, and he promptly fell asleep where he lay.

There is swelling at the surgical site and the ankle, and I am to use a hot compress twice a day for five minutes at a time. It just breaks my heart to see staples in his leg; I wish we can trade places so that the staples would be in my leg and he doesn't have to go through this.

Pre-op leg:

Post-op leg:

He is on Acepromazine (tranquilizer) and Duragesic-Fentanyl (pain killer), and they're knocking him out. The clinic administered the medication at 0800 and he is still heavily sedated at near 2230.

I've helped him out to pee twice (and to shift his position so that he's not laying on the same side for more than 6 hours at a time), and the first time it was a stream, and the second just drops. He can't stand up without help from my friend and I, and we have to hold him up or he'll plop down and rest.

He's been drinking, reluctantly, some water, and has had two teaspoons of yogurt. He's shown no interest in any of his regular food or snacks. He's not showing any signs of pain (heavy panting or shifting), so I'm holding off on the Acepromazine until he's coherent enough to eat something. I'll mix the pain killers and the antibiotics with his food, so that he'll have some nutrition before becoming sedated again.

It's a tricky balance between worrying about unspoken pain and nutritional needs. Luckily, he's got a couple of pounds to burn (at 102 lbs now with optimal at 95-97 lbs).

It's the neurotic parent in me, I know, but I'm just not used to seeing my "alpha-male-I-can-out-hike-any-mountaineer" down and out like this. It breaks my heart, and I wish I can take on his suffering. Strangely, I know that a group of complete strangers like yourselves (also crazy dog people) would understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks for letting me vent my worries and progress; it does help.

#10 ·
Special challenges with a big pup. I've never had to have Gidget so sedated for so long that her ability to potty was an issue. We're going bikejoring today and I'm increasingly mindful that at any moment she's just one step away from such an injury.

So far, I've been the one with knee problems.

Nikko is very blessed to have you caring for him. I hope you are getting time off for Thanksgiving which you can use to be with him. He'll enjoy quiet time with you, especially this first week. Lots of belly rubs, ear rubs and nuzzling.

He'll be hiking in his dreams this week. And sprinting away from the vet.

:)

#11 ·
I'm just now seeing this. OH NO! Poor baby.

I didn't realize Nikko was a senior guy...damn he looks good.

Happy, safe, warm, healing thoughts coming your way handsome boy (the dog Solid not you, but I wish you peace)

-g

#14 ·
Nikko's leg actually looks good - all things considered.

It's always tough dealing with the pups when they have been injured. Most of us have had our share of surgical recoveries - if experience is worth anything.

We're keeping him in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

#16 ·
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement; I really appreciate them being a first time post-op dog parent. Really, you're kind words of encouragement has been a pillar of strength for me.

Nikko is improving and getting stronger on a daily basis. He was completely knocked out the first day and that was totally out of the ordinary; however, as the tranquilizers wore off, he has become himself more and more. He is a very mellow big dog, so I've been holding off on the tranquilizers and the Elizabethan collar. I'm running the full course on the pain killers and the antibiotics.

A little more awake; a little more alert; gaining in appetite:

(Note greenie next to left front leg)

Two days after his surgery he was able to stand and look above the baby gate we had set up next to the downward stairs when I awoke. I can't tell you how happy I felt to see him standing and wagging his tail. I took him out to pee, and he must have peed for a good 45 seconds. It was like the scene in "A League of Their Own" with Tom Hanks. He just kept going, and going, and then going some more. (I'm noticing that he like to go out to pee during sunlight, but not after dark, so I try to maximize daytime for him to relieve himself.)

He is a strong willed dog, and he wants to rehab quickly. He's already trying to put weight on his bionic-leg and take walks, and I have to slow him down and remind him that we can only exit for very, very short bathroom breaks for now.

Food wise, he is only interested in protein. He used to love baked sweet potatoes and avocados, but now he just wants the chicken. I bash his dry food into dust so that he doesn't have to chew, and I mix it with boiled chicken breast mashed into "no chewing needed" portions. He'll still eat his yogurt (plain, full fat), and I pill him with peanut butter. He still loves his glucosamine coated chicken strips.

My little bald doggie:

We took our first ride in the E post-op today to remove the Fentenyl (pain med) patch. I was concerned about the swelling around his ankles, but the vet told me today that it was usual, and that I was to continue the hot compress treatment on his wound and the ankle to help with fluid drain.

Nikko was excited about the car ride, but got scared and started shivering once we pulled into the surgical center. I kept him in the car and the med tech was very understanding and did his thing in the E so that Nikko didn't have to exit the car and go into the office (where he'll be more agitated and scared).

So ready to rock! (Wait, are we going back to the hospital?! Nooooo!)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The next hurdle is removing the sutures in two weeks.

Happy Thanksgiving; I have much to be thankful for this holiday season.

#17 ·
Thanks for the progress report -- sounds like you'll be having a Happy Thanksgiving!

That shaved hindquarter is quite a look. Am showing that to Gidget so she'll be inspired to be careful. She didn't like having half her tail shaved to deal with a hot spot.

If they shaved her like Nikko I'd have to look for a giant Samoyed hair piece.

:)

#18 ·
Call me a Big P, I actually welled up seeing the pictures, the poor guy

Wish you and him a speedy recovery

#19 ·
Glad to see he's doing ok, I'm on the same page as Orangee. I've been following the thread closely but haven't responded yet due to having trouble composing coherent sentences after seeing injured doggy pics. But the happy smile on his face makes me feel a lot better. Hope he continues on the good road!

#20 ·
Solid, Nikko looks so good. The shaved hindquarter was :-(

Because Nikko is so big they probably tranquilized him pretty good, but slowly he'll snap back as you have seen. My husky Bo came out of anesthesia within 24 hours. However, Miss Megan seems to take longer. She stays spacey for a few days :? (and she's smallish). It all depends on how the pups metabolize those drugs.

Thank you for the update. Love the look on his face in the E.

-g

#23 ·
...Miss Megan...stays spacey for a few days :? (and
What do you expect, she DID belong to Rocket Dog ya know...:lol: :lol:

#21 ·
My previous dog, 75-lb. lab/border mix had tplo surgery. I know what you mean about worrying over the swelling. Kirbs had bad swelling in his hock. I iced it, and that really helped. It does look so wicked, doesn't it? It's pretty drastic surgery what they do, but Kirby's held up well. I recall he had to get 6 weeks of shots to prevent arthritis from building in the joint.

I'm glad your pup is coming along so well. In the future, if you ever have to help him up and down/in and out try this. Take a canvas tote bag with handles. Cut it down to the bottom on each side, and you have a nice strong sling with handles. Put it under his belly and you can assist him in walking. I tried the towel thing, but the tote bag was so much easier.

Wishing total healing for Niko. He's a beautiful doggie.

#24 ·
Thank you all for the kind words and well wishes; it's difficult for any of us dog lovers to see an injured dog, irregards of personal acquaintance. It's a tribute to the universality of any dog's devotion to its human, and our reciprocal love for them.

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Nikko is steadily improving. The swelling at his ankle and thigh has decreased dramatically (referring to previous pictures, you can clearly see the difference):

The hot compress treatment really helped. I do it for less than 5 minutes three times a day, usually just after I feed him. To make a hot compress, wet a small wash cloth and ring so that it's not dripping, microwave it for 15 seconds in the microwave, then place it in a small zip lock bag. Check the temperature to ensure it's warm but not scalding.

Briggsie, thank you for the canvas bag tote; however, the vet did send home an extra large padded "sling" that serves the purpose you stated:

He needs help getting up from slippery surfaces (marble), but does well otherwise. I've avoided any strenuous activities for him, such as stairs and getting in and out of cars. He clearly wants to go for a ride and a longer walk, but I have to have a talk with him about his need to heal first and the importance of not injuring the other leg.

gisele, as a pup, Nikko was all ears and paws, and he did have fun managing all those big feet at first.

itsanEgirl, good luck to you as well for your first post-op experience. Keep us posted on the palsy situation with your pup.

Most of my neighbors are also dog people, and they are very sympathetic. (I am, of course, terrified at the thought of the dobermans escaping while I'm out with Nikko right now.)

Thanks again for all of your well wishes; next big day is suture removal at the end of next week. Wish us luck!

#26 ·
Good luck Nikko! Keep healing well and do as your papa says ;-)

-g

#27 ·
...Just checking on Nikko (and Solid).

-g

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.