Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, dumb question from a newbie Element owner!

I have an '08 Ele and it makes note that the tires are filled with Nitrogen in the "NitroFill" sense...

Now I have a "low tire pressure" light showing on my dashboard - can I just air up the tires as per normal OR do I have to find somewhere that will fill them with Nitrogen?

Like I said - dumb question...:-(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't bother with nitrogen. It's more of a gimik to separate you from your money. It won't help your tires last longer since the outside is the side that wears more anyways. Also it escapes the tire much quicker because the molecules are smaller. Besides, it's not like they vacuum out the existing air inside the tire BEFORE filling it with N. Clean Dry air works just fine...

It's regularly used in airplane tires becuase there is much less pressure variance when changing altitueds making the airplane tires more consistent upon touchdown at different locations.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
As others have posted, Stay with the nitrogen. Other car forums have had posts that show that the Nitrogen helps keep the TPMS light off. That is primarily do to the fact that, it expands and contracts less, than air with air temperature changes. I use it in my tires, but I don't have TPMS. I find that I have not had to add any for over a year. so it appears that it is not as prone to seepage as I originally thought. ( the green valve caps got stolen by the neighborhood kids the first week)

Dom

·
Registered
730 Posts
Another dumb question....where do you get the nitro? :oops:

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can get it with every breath you take or anyplace that has a lime looking green air compressor. Most shops these days have em as per they get tax credits for using it but to me it's all hype considering how much nitrogen gets put into a tire with a regular compressor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As others have posted, Stay with the nitrogen. Other car forums have had posts that show that the Nitrogen helps keep the TPMS light off. That is primarily do to the fact that, it expands and contracts less, than air with air temperature changes. I use it in my tires, but I don't have TPMS. I find that I have not had to add any for over a year. so it appears that it is not as prone to seepage as I originally thought. ( the green valve caps got stolen by the neighborhood kids the first week)

Dom
I think you missed the joke. The 78% Nitrogen / 21% Oxygen is the air we breath. Same crap that comes out of your typical air compressor... :rolleyes:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns...-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ok....I am officially an idiot! I admit it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I think you missed the joke. The 78% Nitrogen / 21% Oxygen is the air we breath. Same crap that comes out of your typical air compressor... :rolleyes:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns...-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

Several forums have noted the proportions of air Vs Nitrogen. It's about 1/4 oxygen. The hi-performance boys want all the advantage they can get. My tire dealer fills them with nitrogen for free, when you get them new from him.

Our Elements are not in the Hi performance category by any means. However, that does not suggest that anyone would not want the extra 2 or 3 % that can be gained by using nitrogen in the tires.

After having seen some of the negative posts, that have appeared on this forum, and others. When people add Turbo's, Wheels, exhaust, intake, or other Performance mods. It's no wonder that people are afraid to post about potential mods. What is of benifit to one person may be totally useless to another.

Don't let that stop you, from giving something that you think may work, a try. Many of the mods on this forum were done without consulting the " collective Inelegance " before hand. Some have worked out well, and became adopted by other members. Others have flopped and never got reported here.

As for the Nitrogen Fill in my tires? Has it improved any of the aspects of the overall performance ? I can't say that it has. However I also can say, It has had no down side.

Dom

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
As for the Nitrogen Fill in my tires? Has it improved any of the aspects of the overall performance ? I can't say that it has. However I also can say, It has had no down side.
Of course it has a downside. It cost money and is inconveinent. Nothing like spending some extra time and dollars for ZERO improvment eh? I suppose if you got it free, what's the difference right? But that is not the typical case...

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I suppose if you got it free, what's the difference right? But that is not the typical case...

In essence, it is !

If in fact you subscribe to the large molecule, small molecule theory, then it works.

I was not clear with this. Please allow me to try one more time.

As I stated on another forum, If you fill your tires with air, and the smaller oxygen molecule's leak out each time you re-fill them. Then the end result is the same. What remains in the tires is the fat Nitrogen molecules. In ESSENCE what you have achieved is filling the tire with pure Nitrogen. Duh

So is it worth paying extra for? Not in my book. At least not on this car.

Dom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts