Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was driving his 2007 Element when going up hill it suddenly lost power and started running rough. Checked computer code and we received error code P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire. We did a compression check, wet and dry, both were zero compression in cylinder 1.

We checked the timing chain and it was stretched and timing was off by one tooth. We replaced the timing chain, put everything back to together and still have no compression in cylinder 1.

Vehicle has 143,000 miles, never over heated, oil was changed regularly.

Any ideas on what to try next?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did your E have its valves adjusted at around 100kmi? Regardless I would do a leak down test if possible. If you don’t have the ability definitely check and set valve lash (on all cylinders) but based on your description there is a good chance cylinder #1 has a bent valve.

Reactions: Mike1953

·
Registered
559 Posts
My son was driving his 2007 Element when going up hill it suddenly lost power and started running rough. Checked computer code and we received error code P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire. We did a compression check, wet and dry, both were zero compression in cylinder 1.

We checked the timing chain and it was stretched and timing was off by one tooth. We replaced the timing chain, put everything back to together and still have no compression in cylinder 1.

Vehicle has 143,000 miles, never over heated, oil was changed regularly.

Any ideas on what to try next?
A problem with the timing chain will affect all cylinders, not just one. A leak-down test will tell you what the problem is. Probably a leaking valve requiring the cylinder head be removed for repair.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfortunately that was the death of my 2006 at 187K miles. Lost a cylinder and decided to trade the car in on a low mileage 2011 instead of pouring money into the 2006.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts