Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I took off my engine fuse box lid to have it painted. About half way home, my seat belt warning light started going on. A few minutes later the airbag light went on. Then the ABS. Then VSA. Then radio started rurning itself on and off. Then I noticed the horn was gone. I checked the box and I don’t see any mechanical switches that would be triggered by not having the lid. This never happened on my 06. I’m not expecting my lid back until next week, but I do need to drive until then.

Assuming the missing lid is causing all this, since I had none of the problems before, any thoughts on a temporary fix? Honda can’t get one until tomorrow. Is it just the air flow? Maybe a rubber shower cap stretched over the bobo

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
HELP! Now I’m stuck. I have radio, windows, locks, but the car won’t start!
With that cascade of failures, the only question I keep imagining is whether you had anything else painted under the hood recently, or perhaps you drove through some water and it went in the top of the fuse box. The ELM is inside the bottom of it I think. You've probably towed it by now anyway.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With that cascade of failures, the only question I keep imagining is whether you had anything else painted under the hood recently, or perhaps you drove through some water and it went in the top of the fuse box. The ELM is inside the bottom of it I think. You've probably towed it by now anyway.
Believe it or not, it had nothing to do with the lid except exact coincidental timing.

AAA comes and says I can't start because the battery is testing bad. The battery is 2018 new. Then he said it might be a bad alternator, that would cause the battery to test bad. Car jumped fine, but it was safer to tow. Went to nearby dealer because we needed it ASAP.

Honda Dealer confirms bad alternator. $900 parts and labor to get genuine Honda remanufactured put in same day. I let them do it because we were in a bind. After new alternator, battery tested good again. They also found some other things that will be problems later, so that helps to ease the sticker shock. But I asked them to give me an opinion on two other issues since we dropped $900 and they wouldn't. I don't understand why they will find issues I didn't ask about, and not related to alternator, but won't find issues I did ask about, also not related.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,604 Posts
Believe it or not, it had nothing to do with the lid except exact coincidental timing.

AAA comes and says I can't start because the battery is testing bad. The battery is 2018 new. Then he said it might be a bad alternator, that would cause the battery to test bad. Car jumped fine, but it was safer to tow. Went to nearby dealer because we needed it ASAP.

Honda Dealer confirms bad alternator. $900 parts and labor to get genuine Honda remanufactured put in same day. I let them do it because we were in a bind. After new alternator, battery tested good again. They also found some other things that will be problems later, so that helps to ease the sticker shock. But I asked them to give me an opinion on two other issues since we dropped $900 and they wouldn't. I don't understand why they will find issues I didn't ask about, and not related to alternator, but won't find issues I did ask about, also not related.
Dealer techs are required to do an "MPI" multi point saftey inspection. Basically a look see for safety items, anything that you request will usually require some sort of diagnostics. Techs want to be paid, they don't work for free.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer techs are required to do an "MPI" multi point saftey inspection. Basically a look see for safety items, anything that you request will usually require some sort of diagnostics. Techs want to be paid, they don't work for free.
Usually when I go in for scheduled maintenance, I will ask about an issue or two. I have had a few Hondas. They either say "sure", or they ask for an inspection fee. Fine either way.

I went in for "won't start, suspect alternator, battery". My TPMS light was on too as I just got new tires. I asked about possible front front ball joint noise, and possible rear strut noise. They checked tires, brakes, alternator, battery, that are documented. They also found leak in spool valve and pressure switch.

I was surprised they didn't mention anything about TPMS, they did find my oil leaks, but flat out said they didn't look at my two noises. I guess I just expected a "sure" or a request for fee at the beginning if they wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Usually when I go in for scheduled maintenance, I will ask about an issue or two. I have had a few Hondas. They either say "sure", or they ask for an inspection fee. Fine either way.

I went in for "won't start, suspect alternator, battery". My TPMS light was on too as I just got new tires. I asked about possible front front ball joint noise, and possible rear strut noise. They checked tires, brakes, alternator, battery, that are documented. They also found leak in spool valve and pressure switch.

I was surprised they didn't mention anything about TPMS, they did find my oil leaks, but flat out said they didn't look at my two noises. I guess I just expected a "sure" or a request for fee at the beginning if they wouldn't do it.
Hard to believe they wouldn't look at those things as it would have a high likelihood of generating more work for them.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,604 Posts
Hard to believe they wouldn't look at those things as it would have a high likelihood of generating more work for them.
Agree! Every dealership and every tech is different.

Some techs may "look" at your problem, other's will not.

Tech 'a' might have an another vehicle with a $3000.00 repair that has to be done ASAP. Tech 'b' might have nothing to do.

Ether way, both those techs want to be paid for their time to properly diagnose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe a rubber shower cap stretched over the bobo
the "bobo"? *facepalm*

Dealer techs are required to do an "MPI" multi point safety inspection. Basically a look see for safety items, anything that you request will usually require some sort of diagnostics.
went in for my oil change at regular place yesterday, TPMS still on, brakes way overdue, neither got mentioned. same place that always checks my brakes. i would have done them by now but all my money went to the alternator.

They also found leak in spool valve and pressure switch.
When I went for oil change yesterday, it was my regular dealer, and i was expecting them to find the spool valve and pressure switch issues too. i didnt say anything since i wanted confirmation on the previous dealers finds. instead they came back and said my oil drain is stripping and i need a new oil pan. now i'm wondering if the other dealer was right about spool valve and pressure switch he claimed i needed for oil leaks.

i assume i cant see the stripped drain bolt without blowing my oil change, but can i see the spool valve and pressure switch as a layman to confirm leaks? clean off, watch for recurrence?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clean off around the oil drain plug really well and then watch closely to see if indeed leaking.
I did have a driveway leak before this. They said they HondaBonded the plug yesterday as a temporary fix. Stupid question, I know where the drain plug is, but never looked at the spool valve or pressure switch. If leaking, are the valve and switch far enough away to not leak drip ONTO the drain plug?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts