Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading through just about every previous thread on this topic, I decided I need some help.

Here's the deal: 2003 Element DX, 5-speed, AWD, 152200 miles...no heat

I don't think it's a clogged heater core as the hoses coming out are hot. I do wonder how hot is really hot though. When the engine is warmed up and running, thermostat reads just below the halfway mark on the dashboard, and the hoses from the heater core to the HVAC system are hot to the touch, but not so hot I can't hold them for a while.

The gears below the steering wheel aren't clogged; I've visually watched them move as I adjust the thermostat. The fan adjust works just fine too.

Coolant levels are normal, though I did have to patch a pinhole in the bottom of my radiator about two years ago.

With all that, no heat from anything...except...the passenger side vent blows hot, and occasionally the rest of the console vents will blow hot air if I push the clutch in. I haven't been able to discern any pattern in when the clutch activates the flow of hot air or not. Besides the passenger side vent, nothing blows hot air, not the driver side, not the middle, not the floor vents.

This makes me think that there's an issue with the control flap on the venting behind the dashboard. Is there any other possible issue it could be? I'd rather not have to take my entire dashboard off just to see if that's the issue when it's really something else.

Thoughts? Driving to work with no heat is awfully chilly living at 9000 feet in the mountains...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why is these problems never pop up in the summer!?! You shot my suggestion down when you verified the gears are working. I had the no heat problem with my '11 due to using the leaf blower to clean the interior. Do you have a water valve on the engine side of your firewall? I fixed mine by pulling it to the passenger side and to make it easier for the next time, tied twine to the valve so I could easily pull it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
According to my shop manual (2008), there are two motors in the system. One is the Air Mix Control Motor, and the other is the Mode Control Motor. The air mix motor is on the left side of the plenum unit and the mode control motor is on the right side of the main plenum box, just to the left of the dust and pollen filter housing. There is also a Recirculation Motor in the same location as the mode control motor. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,530 Posts
I had a similar issue, everything seemed to be fine, but no heat. Found out (through another poster) that, because I left it on cold through the summer, when I turned the knob to hot, it never moved the lever actuator over. It had stuck in the cold position. I lubricated the actuator and voila!! HEAT!! :shock: :razz: It's behind the console, but. pretty easy to reach. Use a good lube and, hopefully, that will solve your problem. If I can find the link to its exact location, will edit with results... :roll: 8)

Good luck!! :)

This might help, gives you a way to diagnose the problem through a vehicle self-test:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68561&highlight=heat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses and ideas. I ended up getting it checked out this morning at a shop when I went to get new tires.

Apparently at some point in the car's life someone fixed a leak in the heater with a big glob of Stop Leak which worked its way into the tubing and caused a clog. So after two years of owning my car, the glob has finally stopped up the entire heater.

Shop says they'll try draining the system and flushing the clog out, but jury is out as to whether doing so will bring back the same leak as was originally patched.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts