Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working a deal on a new 09 E with a dealer. I am needing to wait for the Cash for Clunkers program. Just got an email from him and here is what it says.

"I just got some bad news from Honda. There will be no Honda Element incentives from tomorrow through the end of August.

We have $1,000 dealer cash today only. Odysseys, Pilots, Ridgelines, Elements, and Fits will not have any incentives until September 1st."

What is Honda thinking?:-x Sales are down 35% year to date on trucks and they offer nothing? If you ask me this will put Honda dealers at a major disadvantage and is a total blunder on Honda's part. they are just trying to use the government incentive instead of offering their own. To bad this program is so small and without incentive that most other manufactures are offering I would think Honda will loose some of it's share of this program.

Oh well I guess thats why those executives get the big bucks:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The incentive definitely influenced my decision to purchase. I was leaning toward xB at the time. Boy am I glad that incentive came along when it did, because I could not be happier with the Element. Okay, maybe if I got an extra 5 mpg. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I dont know what you guys consider an incentive, but it is my under standing that AHMC doesnt offer "incentives." They have never in the history of them selling cars in the US offered a rebate. Anything like this that is out there is offered by the dealer itself, not "Honda." They do the clearance time every year to get rid of old models, but this is just an adjusted base MSRP not an "incentive".

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So for the month of June there was $1,000 dealer cash until 7/8/09 now there is no dealer cash. That makes the cost to consumer $1000 more, is that an incentive to buy? maybe they don't offer rebates but there was still cash to help the dealer sell. funny the "year end Clarence event" in June had $1000 off the 2009's to sell them but In July nothing? Guess 09's are getting newer or they don't want to Clarence them any more:confused:

Call it what you want, I call it an incentive.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd be leery of a sales tactic to try to get you to jump on a vehicle sooner.

Don't be afraid to walk away. If the dealer wants the sale, they'll play ball.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Call it what you want, I call it an incentive.:D
Absolutely was an official incentive. Noted on edmunds.com and other places. And the internet sales guy I was working with immediately came down $1000 from the previous figure to reflect it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
again, these are comming from the dealer, not american honda. they are not like the offers that other manufacturers give to consumers, they are off the "invoice" price that the dealers are charged so the dealer makes the call wether or not to pass it along to the customer. That is why you had to bring it up to the dealer you were working with to get them to do it, unlike if you were to get a rebate or official manufacturer "incentive" Either way it isnt really the time of the year for that just yet, not on an 09.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Do not trust the word of any dealer/dealership you are working with to fully communicate what deals they are being cut by the manufacturer. Edmunds.com should list the current expiration on any Honda Corp program to the dealer (On Edmunds, they use the term "Incentives")

I just looked it up and there are no "incentives" at this time from Honda Corp being sponsored on the 09 E. So, any "special" being touted will be solely a program from the dealer...in which they have complete control in when and how to offer such.

Lastly, you will always get the best price when they know you are truly about to buy. Shop your model of choice in the neighboring 3-5 dealerships of your area and take the best offer. (Best to do this by fax or email, then take the documents in to the best offer...oh, and have them confirm the car is there and get the VIN before going there.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Call it whatever makes you happy. Once it kicked in, it knocked exactly $1000 off my already negotiated price. Here it is from edmunds.

Marketing Support
$1000 Cash to Dealer start: 05/05/2009 end: 07/08/2009 Get Dealer Pricing
Restrictions None.
Comments Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our Visitor Agreement.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do not trust the word of any dealer/dealership you are working with to fully communicate what deals they are being cut by the manufacturer. Edmunds.com should list the current expiration on any Honda Corp program to the dealer (On Edmunds, they use the term "Incentives")

I just looked it up and there are no "incentives" at this time from Honda Corp being sponsored on the 09 E. So, any "special" being touted will be solely a program from the dealer...in which they have complete control in when and how to offer such.

Lastly, you will always get the best price when they know you are truly about to buy. Shop your model of choice in the neighboring 3-5 dealerships of your area and take the best offer. (Best to do this by fax or email, then take the documents in to the best offer...oh, and have them confirm the car is there and get the VIN before going there.)

Good luck!
Thanks for the wish for luck and good advice...I need it:cool:

I consider myself a good shopper and I educate my self the best I can on rebates, cash to dealer, hold backs and such. The reason Edmunds lists no incentives is because they ran out on the 6th and went off Edmunds site but then were extended trough today. I have talked to 4 dealers and they all say the same thing all incentives on the above listed vehicles have stopped until Sept 1 2009. Guess I will just be paying an extra $1000 to buy under the Government program. I'm still about $2500 ahead of where I would be without the CFC program.:D

again, these are coming from the dealer, not american Honda. they are not like the offers that other manufacturers give to consumers, they are off the "invoice" price that the dealers are charged so the dealer makes the call whether or not to pass it along to the customer. That is why you had to bring it up to the dealer you were working with to get them to do it, unlike if you were to get a rebate or official manufacturer "incentive" Either way it isn't really the time of the year for that just yet, not on an 09.
yes you are correct that they are not a rebate but it is still a discount to the dealer who can pass it on. No incentive cash to dealer No extra discount to me.

If it's not the time of year then why was it running from May 5th through July 6th? Then extended to July 8th? I don't think this is a normal year for car sales. After today all programs (cash to dealer) are...gone?:-(

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
they do that evey once in a while to clear out existing inventory and to keep the plants moving. It costs them less to do that than it does to cut production down.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they do that evey once in a while to clear out existing inventory and to keep the plants moving. It costs them less to do that than it does to cut production down.
So you are saying that the pace of sales of the element @ around 1300 per month with the $1000 off is to fast of pace and they need to raise the price to slow sales so the factory can keep up?
Sales on the E are dead at best. Sales for the E are down from 15,834 at the end of June 2008 to 6,827 at the end of June 2009. that's a loss of 56.6%. Wouldn't you think they would want to do all they could to boost sales:confused: I'm thinking that there is quite a bit of "existing inventory" that needs to move at this pace:-(

Take a look at Honda's sales year to date in this thread. http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55391&page=2

Oh well they will do what they will do:confused:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
they did the initial dealer discount to get things across the board moving again, not jut the E's. and the E isnt the only thing built in East Liberty, the CRV is as well. And they dont just create the "deals" based on one model's sales but more as an overall. They arent trying to clear out the 09's yet even if it was just "clearence time" there are still alot of dealers with 08's left over too, but cars are cars, if there are 09's at the dealer that they can move to get more cars out of the plant then they will move them as well. As far as what they decide to kick back the dealer for selling that is a complete crap shoot that even guys i know at my honda dealer that have worked there for 20 years dont understand, but those are the ones that the dealer offers deals on cause they get paid more by the cost going down to them, generally meaning the commission on that one goes up for them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Maybe if newer Elements came with HID's, just as the new XB's do.
They could sell more E's, one less mod to complete :D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts