Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
And with the side marker I complete one phase of my Blue and Black Element Selenium. Needs a bath and I think I'll lightly tint the side markers now that I see how bright they are

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looks like another set of them have been put on Ebay for about $18 with free shipping. Just ordered my pair :D

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Update: Since I had problems with the lenses eventually falling out, I had baked open a pair and resealed them with glue 1-2 years ago. Today I noticed both sides (lenses) are cracking in from the (mostly bottom) edges. The perils of eBay....

Maybe I'll buy an extra extra set next time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up a set on eBay so they are still out there...

·
Registered
6 Posts
any available in 2015!?

bumping this post and raising it from the grave! i NEED clear side markers. any helpful links?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
bumping this post and raising it from the grave! i NEED clear side markers. any helpful links?
They pop up on ebay frequently from different sellers. Just search, and if you don't find any, save the search to notify you when they do pop up.

I prefer the ones with the black trim (vs. silver that flakes off), and reflective face (vs. clear face with reflective inside only and doesn't spread the light as well). The lenses will eventually fall out, so you should reseal them with a silicon compound before you install them. I think it's discussed somewhere in here, but I don't have time to find it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They pop up on ebay frequently from different sellers. Just search, and if you don't find any, save the search to notify you when they do pop up.

I prefer the ones with the black trim (vs. silver that flakes off), and reflective face (vs. clear face with reflective inside only and doesn't spread the light as well). The lenses will eventually fall out, so you should reseal them with a silicon compound before you install them. I think it's discussed somewhere in here, but I don't have time to find it.
sweet! idk how you make ebay notify you for searched items but ill learn right now! and thats for the advice. black trim w/ reflective face

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I never had a condesation problem with the OEM side markers, never lost a lens until a car smashed it.

I think that one reason the lenses on those cheap non-DOT, imitation JDM side lights are clear so that you can't find the lenses when they fall out, and not learning from that experience, you'll keep buying more. Not having a manufacturers name and certification number molded into the lens is for protection - of the manufacturer.:lol:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I never had a condesation problem with the OEM side markers, never lost a lens until a car smashed it.

I think that one reason the lenses on those cheap non-DOT, imitation JDM side lights are clear so that you can't find the lenses when they fall out, and not learning from that experience, you'll keep buying more. Not having a manufacturers name and certification number molded into the lens is for protection - of the manufacturer.:lol:
Resealing it works fine, but I would buy a new pair every year if it didn't, just to avoid that horrible clashing orange. When I originally replaced all my turn/marker bulbs with LED, I even bought "YELLOW" (vs. "amber") to get rid of the orange/amber. Sadly, nobody makes the bulb I like in yellow anymore, just amber.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Resealing it works fine, but I would buy a new pair every year if it didn't, just to avoid that horrible clashing orange. When I originally replaced all my turn/marker bulbs with LED, I even bought "YELLOW" (vs. "amber") to get rid of the orange/amber. Sadly, nobody nmakes the bulb I like in yellow anymore, just amber.
How much more personally aesthetically pleasing it would be to me if all the lights on every car were color matched to its paint! A satin finish neutral grey with 18% reflectance for every vehicle but my Element would make them fade from view until I ran into one of them.

I agree with you, that orange amber sticks out like a sore thumb. It's supposed to, just like those awful red that they put on the back, and those white glary things that blind oncoming drivers on thhe front.

Those amber color lenses are there because a group of safety engineers detemined by testing that color was most likely to be recognised and visible, in their misguided attempts to stop somebody from crashing into the side of your car.

The federal government is so mistakenly convinced that your life is important to protect that they set up several departments specifically intended to make vehicles safer. It works with the Society of Automotive Engineers SAE to develop specifications for the performance of vehicle lights.

By federal law the light fixtures originally installed in the exterior of a vehicle sold in the US and required by the Department of Transportation must be maintained and replaced with exactly the same type they had when they left the factory.
These stupid laws actually say that the bulb type (#) can't be changed to another type eg LEDs replacing incandescent, halogen replacing incandescent, because the fixture and bulb as a system are certified as meeting their standards.

Most states and provinces incorporate parts of these federal laws,and only an expert would know which of these laws applies in your vehicle's location. other countries have different regulations, so when a vehicle is brought into the different country it has to be recertified as meeting that country's regulations.

Fortunately, there are solutions simple, safe and legal to the problem of aesthetics. From inside the vehicle. You can't see any of your cars awful lights from there. And you can think about how awful the lights that you can't miss seeing on other cars look.

Or buy a new one that's factory equipped with LED lights.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
How much more personally aesthetically pleasing it would be to me if all the lights on every car were color matched to its paint! A satin finish neutral grey with 18% reflectance for every vehicle but my Element would make them fade from view until I ran into one of them.

I agree with you, that orange amber sticks out like a sore thumb. It's supposed to, just like those awful red that they put on the back, and those white glary things that blind oncoming drivers on thhe front.

Those amber color lenses are there because a group of safety engineers detemined by testing that color was most likely to be recognised and visible, in their misguided attempts to stop somebody from crashing into the side of your car.

The federal government is so mistakenly convinced that your life is important to protect that they set up several departments specifically intended to make vehicles safer. It works with the Society of Automotive Engineers SAE to develop specifications for the performance of vehicle lights.

By federal law the light fixtures originally installed in the exterior of a vehicle sold in the US are required but the Department of Transportation must be maintained and replaced with exactly the same type they had when they left the factory.
These stupid laws actually say that the bulb type (#) can't be changed to another type eg LEDs replacing incandescent, halogen replacing incandescent, because the fixture and buld as a system are certified as meeting their standards.

Most states and provinces incorporate parts of these federal laws,and only an expert would know which of these laws applies in your vehicle's location. other countries have different regulations, so when a vehicle is brought into the different country it has to be recertified as meeting that country's regulations.

Fortunately, there are solutions simple, safe and legal to the problem of aesthetics. From inside the vehicle. You can't see any of your cars awful lights from there. And you can think about how awful the lights that you can't miss seeing on other cars look.

Or buy a new one that's factory equipped with LED lights.
I think you got up too early.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I think you got up too early.
8 am isn't early for me, it's midmorning break time.

I think you're still asleep,but I cant be sure, because I can't see you.

Maybe if you were wearing an amber light, I could. Think I'll write my Congressman. . .:lol:

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
did you get a pair? I hope you did. because I just got some of eBay about 5 minutes ago. Looks like he had 8 pair at one time. I don't usually buy from peeps with any negative but I wanted these bad. I also have spent over my allotment this month on my E. but again these are kind of hard to find. Maybe he will have more later. this is the link to the page I got them off of. I will let you know if they were worth the $20 i spent. http://www.ebay.com/itm/311308509165

·
Registered
661 Posts
0 available...All gone::x

41 - 60 of 82 Posts