Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Washington state and they are doing away with emissions as of 2020. I was considering doing a new exhaust for a bit more performance and to give it some growl. Has any one done a cat delete? If I take it out will i have a constant check engine light on?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I live in Washington state and they are doing away with emissions as of 2020. I was considering doing a new exhaust for a bit more performance and to give it some growl. Has any one done a cat delete? If I take it out will i have a constant check engine light on?
There is no good reason to remove the catalytic converter. Most of the so-called good reasons in the link posted are nonsense. Not to mention its removal is a violation of Federal law regardless whether you have emissions inspections. If your state has periodic safety inspections note that in some states the car will not pass with a catalytic converter removed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I imagine it would be extremely loud, more than a growl. I recall seeing a youtube video where they took off the cat and it was awful sounding. I was wondering about this subject though, because, I want to benefit from a catback exhaust system and our E was made for low emissions. I wish there was some kind of high flow cat option specific to the E.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some reading material for you.
Oh paaleeeze,

pro:
2. You can achieve better gas mileage.
con:
5. You will pay more for fuel without a catalytic converter.
(and that's because "It (the cat) also squeezes a better fuel economy out of most vehicles".

Is this baloney or what?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, you will have the check engine light on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The front O2 sensor readings are compared with the rear O2 sensor readings to set the fuel trim ie rich or lean. If there's no O2 sensor input the computer goes into rich limp mode. Unless you know how to reprogram the ECM (Engine Control Module) computer you'll screw it up big time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts