Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not mine but found it in Bring A Trailer....nice, clean Element....

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive side-view mirror

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Rim

Automotive design Sunglasses Eyewear Electric blue Font

Reactions: Alloysnake

·
Registered
302 Posts
Man, that's a lot of money for an E that's been through 10 salty Wisconsin winters (per the carfax); you can see parts of the chassis are already getting pretty crusty, and some of the underhood fasteners etc. are beginning to rust. I suppose if the buyer is from WI, it would seem pretty rust free as most cars that age in WI and MN are already rust buckets by now.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, that's a lot of money for an E that's been through 10 salty Wisconsin winters (per the carfax); you can see parts of the chassis are already getting pretty crusty, and some of the underhood fasteners etc. are beginning to rust. I suppose if the buyer is from WI, it would seem pretty rust free as most cars that age in WI and MN are already rust buckets by now.
Its not a German car, its a Honda....they all look that way by 3rd or 4th winter....lol. Check out the other one I posted here...That one was over 30K I think.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Its not a German car, its a Honda....they all look that way by 3rd or 4th winter....lol. Check out the other one I posted here...That one was over 30K I think.
Not true. My '03 has always lived in western N. Dakota where they don't salt the roads, and it looks much cleaner underneath than the one from Bring a Trailer. and mine has double the miles of that one. I guess my point is that cars that live every winter on salty roads will have far more corrosion than one that goes through snowy winters, but on roads that aren't salted. Also was just trying to say that that was a lot of money to pay -- too much in my opinion -- for one that's already got a pretty corroded chassis.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure the salt doesn't help. Been servicing all brands of cars for many, many years....German cars do NOT rust underneath like the Japanese auto do. Ask anyone who's had to turn a bolt under a Jap car or a German car and they will confirm the rust pours down onto your face making eye wear a must. It's Japanese metallurgy......They have always had poor smelting process and why their steel, including aftermarket brake components looks like crap 6 mos after install....

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree about the Germans doing more for corrosion resistance; I know VW injects hot wax into the bodies also, among other steps they take to prevent corrosion. Anyways, let's just say I avoid buying any car that has lived in the salt belt as i tend to keep my cars a long time, and fully expect some wrenches will eventually need to be turned underneath the car, not to mention I've seen some cars with such bad rust through that they seriously look like they're not road worthy.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In MA, at least for state roads seeing more pre-treatment being done with spray liquid before snow hits....wonder if that's better option to combat auto rust than the salt ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
In MA, at least for state roads seeing more pre-treatment being done with spray liquid before snow hits....wonder if that's better option to combat auto rust than the salt ?
I"m not sure if it's better than salt -- probably is. I recall when I lived in Colorado about 15 years ago they sprayed something on the roads down there, didn't seem to be salt, but I do know that cars didn't rot or rust there anywhere near like in MN or WI etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From a quick Google search:
'CDOT uses two types of solid de-icers: Ice Slicer—Made of granular salt and magnesium chloride. Sand or Sand/Salt Mixture—Mainly used in the high elevations and the eastern plains where more extreme cold temperatures exist and more traction is needed.'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts