Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey all,
I am not sure I have seen this addressed anywhere, but its my small solution. I love the spaces in the dash for storage, but everything seems to slip and slide as I drive, so I went to my local Target and picked up some of that lattice like shelf liner (its kinda rubbery) that matched my blue interior perfectly (it comes in lots of colors) got it home and cut out pieces to fit in the spaces. You don't have to glue it, since its no slip it doesnt move when something is on it and this makes it easy to clean because it slides right out. No more sunglasses shifting when I stop and go! Its cheap and can be replaced easily. Hope it helps!
:D

[Moderator Edit: On page four (4) of this thread, there are templates for making your own non-slip cutouts.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It does work great, I have had that on mine for months, and even used some of it on the read seat mat.

:D

·
Registered
359 Posts
I did the same thing. I used the lighter blue color and it looks great in my Silver E.

Also I cut a square piece and put it in the overhead storage area to keep stuff from slipping around up there. You can see the blue color thru the perforated screen material of the overhead.

Also cut round pieces and put them in the bottom of each cup holder. Works like a coaster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wife went to Dollar General today and picked up some of this stuff after she read this thread. Of course, this meant that your's truly got off his backside and went outside to install it. Now have it in evey place mentioned here save for the rear cargo area, and it looks great..........plus, no more water ring from the soda cans in the cup holders. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the cup holder thing as well, it does work great! I will have to try it in the overhead, didn't think of that one! :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok... here is the deal. I would like to do this to my E as well. I have the Shoreline Mist Exterior so the interior is gray/black.

I can not find any gray or black rubbery lattice stuff anywhere. I checked K-mart, but of course Matha's only has pretty girlie pastels and Wal-Mart only has bright pretties as well.

Where can I get some manly stuff!!! :) Something grey or black?

Any idea folks? I am tired of my cell phone taking a ride on the dash board coaster. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:c9dc812686="Smyth"]Ok... here is the deal. I would like to do this to my E as well. I have the Shoreline Mist Exterior so the interior is gray/black.

I can not find any gray or black rubbery lattice stuff anywhere. I checked K-mart, but of course Matha's only has pretty girlie pastels and Wal-Mart only has bright pretties as well.

Where can I get some manly stuff!!! :) Something grey or black?

Any idea folks? I am tired of my cell phone taking a ride on the dash board coaster. :)[/quote:c9dc812686]

I know, I know. I ended up using the light blue color (matches my blue gray interior) but originally wanted black. Can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'll do some checking....I may be able to get my hands on some gray....I will check today and get back to you!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually found a dark blue that matches the interior of my E. I seem to remember lots of colors. Go to the hardware department, not the kitchen department. They sell it to line the inside of those big toolboxes. Now you wouldn't want your toolbox lined in a nice pretty yellow, would you? I seem to remember seeing this at either Walmart or Target. If I see some I will pick it up if anyone wants it.
:lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got mine at Target. It's in the shelf-coverings area, but you have to ask because, in my store, it was NOT by the Contact paper.

Get the sales associate to schlep around with you. He'll know who to call when the obvious answer doesn't work and you make it clear that you KNOW every Target carries it, and that you intend to hang on to him/her until you find it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used the blue stuff from Wally-world. If you don't want to mail-order, you can get the black stuff at Home Depot. It's called tool box liner and you'll find it in the tool section. I've also seen it at Sears and Lowes tool departments.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since I just finished organizing my tool chest, you might want to go to Sears and check out the tool box lining material. It is black and about 1/8" thick. they seel it by the roll. 5' will run about $10.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Went to Lowes today and got some tool box lining stuff like some of you folks suggested before. Got a heck of a lot of it too.... Black, about 1/8" think and very very easy to trim and cut to shape.

Tried just a little spot for a test since I did not have much time to play. Will have plenty of time this weekend though!'

Thanks for all the suggestions on where to go!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I bought some colonial blue colored darwer liner at Walmart on Thursday....it matches the EBP interior perfectly.....they also had a green shade that looks like it would match the GG interior pretty well.

I was also surprised to see that they had printed rubbery drawer liner.....if any of the prints were cool I would have given this a try to add a little more flair to my E!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, Diane, you know what would be cool is a printed orange or blue hawaiian pattern! Everyone keep your eyes out! :p

Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
I put some of this stuff into my new Element and I found it took a little time to make templates of all the cut outs. So for the benefit of future users, I've scanned in my templates, touched them up in Photoshop. They're not perfect and you might need to do a little minor trimming but here they are below. Just to make things a little exciting, you can figure out where they go. :D

Just a technical note, these scans are designed to print properly on a typical PC monitor that use 96dpi screen resolution. However, most Macintosh systems use 72dpi. If you need a mac version, please click on this link: http://www.jimlin.com/pics/mac/mac.html

Keep in mind that not all macs use 72dpi. If that is the case, then the only other alternative is to load the images into a program like Photoshop which will scale properly no matter what dpi your monitor is set at.

Jim

1 - 20 of 231 Posts