Honda Element Owners Club banner

181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
no slip

I to finely did the no slip trick to my 07 E. Got some shelf liner at the $ store and put it on using the temp from a prev post . Thank You.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
I've had "non-slip" liners in all my compartments for some time. (I made them from a nice solid rubberized toolbox liner I got from Harbor Freight).

Recently I found a material that may appeal to those who are seeking a splash of color.

My local craft store sells foam sheets for kids cut and glue projects. The sheets come in a wide range of colors and are 12x18"x 3/16" thick The material is PVA foam. Sheets sell for about $1.. They aren't nearly as tough as Murdock's, but they are actually better at preventing sliding and they absorb vibration better. Hold them in place with double faced tape, blue tack or Elmers glue -it can be peeled off the hard plastic Element surfaces easily if need be.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Hey, where is the server located - England? I posted something at 21:13 CDST and it came up 2:14 AM!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Thanks,

It's been quite a while since I've been here. Apparently the server upgrade process lost all my settings and profile info . . . wish I could have gotten away with that when I did server upgrades.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
JAMMR asked me for more detail on the liners I made for my 2004 E.

The liner patterns I could had scaling issues, so I re-digitized them, making 4 PDFs at full size. See attachments. Set your print Acrobat options to no scaling, 0.25" border. I cut everything inside the lines except the cupholder circles. I cut them outside the lines for a snugger fit. The pieces are distinct enough that I didn't bother to label them.

After experimenting with the beaded liner material I thought it was too flimsy. It blew around and fell out of the rear cupholders. I didn't want to glue them in place in what was then a new car.

The second experiment was with Ace Hardware Vinyl Ribbed Matting - they sell it by the foot, 27-36" wide in black ribbed nylon entrance mat. A photo showing back and front on top of the carpet material I've used is attached. The back has a nice embossed texture like coarse burlap. I made that my visible side. They fit snugly, didn't fall out of the rear seats, but the material was too hard. The small things I carry in the vibrated audibly at speed.

The material I like best is an industrial quality toolbox liner from Harbor Freight, < http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90982 > It's a rubberized fabric cloth material between 2 layers of rubber and is pretty tough. A closeup of an installed cupholder liner is attached. I'll put photos of the rest in my profile library.

The colored PVA sheet material can be found with a Google shopping search for <Creative Hands Foam Sheet 12"x18" > I've worked with it for other projects, but not liners. It's as cushiony as the rubberized toolbox liner, not quite as durable but should work well. If I were going to use it, I would laminate two thickness after cutting using a fabric cement for the cupholders the extra thicknes and slight cutting imperfections should hold them n place.

FYI, if you are going to stick liners down, use something water based like PVA glue (Elmers white glue) or blue tack, not silicone adhesive. Silicone makes too an aggressive a bond - I've spent hours trying to get it off anodized aluminum (which is harder than the plastics of the Element), and the only way I could get it of was with abrasion. I had to have the aluminum acid etched and re-anodized afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've had mine about a year now and they work great!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
what do you use to discourage over-enthusiastic vacuum cleaners from sucking them up?
or to keep them from moving around on the flat surfaces?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
what do you use to discourage over-enthusiastic vacuum cleaners from sucking them up?
or to keep them from moving around on the flat surfaces?
If you're refering to the ones posted above,I remove mine if I plan on using a vacuum anywhere near them. As for keeping them from moving around,they actually have a bit of weight to them,that keeps them in place.:cool:

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you're refering to the ones posted above,I remove mine if I plan on using a vacuum anywhere near them. As for keeping them from moving around,they actually have a bit of weight to them,that keeps them in place.:cool:
Yeah they don't move around a whole lot but just remember to take the rear cup holder ones out before you put up the seats.....I couldn't find one for weeks when I did that lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
dash sticky stuff

I bought a kind of pad that sticks on a smooth surface. It's removable, and I applied it to the flat part above the center vents. I can lay a cell phone, wallet, whatever on the sticky pad. You have to wipe off any dust occasionally, but it's great. I think I paid $5 or $6 at Wal-Mart for it. It's about 4" x 6".

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another Sticky Pad user...I love that damn thing, need to go buy another one cuz I accidentally tore mine when it was lodged under something and I tried to pull it out. The little tear is driving me nuts...so I will cut that one up to fit my sunglass holder area :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
pre-cut ebay set with 2010?

I know the center console if different now with the cooler etc... But are the rest of the dash pockets etc the same? Just wondering..

·
Registered
715 Posts
I covered my dash pockets with dark gray carpet from a scrap I had left over from doing the floor in a boat. Looks like it came from the factory that way. I trimmed pieces of paper until I got a perfectly shaped template and then cut the carpet and used double sided carpet tape to hold the pieces in place.

181 - 200 of 231 Posts