Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I make a turn I get a klunk noise behind the passenger dash (like something is sliding and hitting plastic). I first thought it to be something in my glove box, but that wasn't it. I removed the glove box and nothing was loose back there so I assume it is behind the upper panel (between the airbag and the utility tray). I see the 2 screws above the tray, but removing them didn't free the panel. Does anyone know how to remove the panel?

Thank you,
Len
San Diego

·
Registered
247 Posts
fill out your profile so we no whate you have, I have a 07 EX and had the same issue, turned out to be CD's bouncing around in my upper (on the celling) cubby. Take EVERYTHING out of your Element and try driving around. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marvin,

You were right, it turned out to be a CD in the upper cubby. Thanks for your answer, it saved me a lot of trouble, I was ready to start taking dash panels off.

Len

·
Registered
247 Posts
No prob, glad to help out a fellow E owner.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Man, I'm glad I read this thread. I've noticed loud noises on hard turns....and now I'm payin attention, and......sure enuf it's the CD's up there in the attic! THANKS! :grin:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I no the feeling, the noise appered to be behind the dash to me aswell, then I started emptying my E and narowed it down to the upper cubby:roll: who would of thought....Atleast it's a super easy fix

·
Registered
2 Posts
speaking of clunks...

Hi folks. Here's one for the books. Sit back and soak this story in. I just bought a gently used 06 Element from a very reputable auto broker here in town. When I test drove it, I heard this clunk behind the dash when braking, and also making a left hand turn. My guy said "yeah I noticed that too, I'll have my mechanic check it out and I'll make it right for you."

Well his mechanic could find nothing wrong, so they took it to Honda and paid $175 for a diagnostic. Honda said the steering rack was bad. My guy ordered one from Meyers and replaced it (no charge to me.) The clunk still persisted. Back to Honda again. Now Honda says "It's still the rack, you need to buy a Honda rack." So my guy ordered a Honda factory rack and put it in. (Still no charge to me.) The clunk was still there. By now my guy and his mechanic are tearing their hair out. They popped the hood and guess what it was?? The mechanic happened to lean on the battery. The battery tie down was loose and it was tilting and bumping to make that noise!!! After all that crap, I love my Honda. But I'm wary of the local dealership. By the way, they refused to reimburse my auto broker for the cost of their crappy diagnosis. I bought both my broker and his mechanic a bottle of Moet Chandon for their troubles. And shame on the Honda West dealership here in Las Vegas NV.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wow that is a shame. Isint it funny how sound's travel and make you (you'r Honda dealer) think it's somthing that it's not. they should do you right but if not Id never go thair again :x. I hope you have good luck with you'r E, they are a great , fun , and reliable vehicle.. and fairly easy to work on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow that is a shame. Isint it funny how sound's travel and make you (you'r Honda dealer) think it's somthing that it's not. they should do you right but if not Id never go thair again :x. I hope you have good luck with you'r E, they are a great , fun , and reliable vehicle.. and fairly easy to work on
Thanks Marv. I do love it, and I'm glad to have discovered this great forum! Thanks for being here folks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts