Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...
I recently bought a used '05 Element that has about 33,000 miles and is two wheel drive. I just started hearing noise from the what I think is rear driver's side wheel (I could be wrong). I took the wheels off just to make sure the brake pads weren't shot and they aren't. So then I started browsing these forums...The noise only happens (or is only noticeable) at very low speeds (10 or less) and seems to happen after I've been driving for awhile. It goes away when I hit the brakes and continues if I let my foot off the brakes and remain at low speeds. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what it might be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same problem on 4WD

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. Had it first happen at only a few hundred miles. Honda changed rotors etc, but it was right back again once I listened (not the loudest of noises with radio on etc.) Learned to live with noise, and later honda mechanics just couldnt hear the noise I was "imagining" right before my warranty expired. Other dealers told me if honda already repaired it, then it wasnt their problem after that. Oh well, never buy a honda again due to customer service alone. But anyways, I am also sick of hearing about the common overnight rotor rusting issues. I can tell the difference, especially after just driving 800 miles continous and the scuffing sound is still there. I dont know if its from sticky pins, seized caliper, emergency drum-brake, or pads not floating properly. Im going to finally inspect it myself tommorow hopefully- Its killing me to know whether I got the BS routine or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had the exact same issue and my 2008 E is at only 23K miles.

The "swirling" sound started at 19K'ish miles, mainly from the rear passenger side. It would only happen after I drove for 20 minutes or more, mostly in rush hour stop-and-go traffic. Every time I stepped on the brake, it goes away, then it would come back in a minute or two of driving. So I checked the brake pads at 19,800, 20,800, and 21,800 miles, nothing, normal wear. But at 22,800, the rear driver side pads were almost gone and the rotor started having some light groove!!

I checked with more than one mechanic and they claimed it's a common problem with CRV and it does share some brake parts (if not identical) with the E. There's an update brake pad "kit" that the installer bought. It has a couple of extra metal plates that would enable the pads not to be stuck (the caliper works fine though) like before. There's no such part for the E, so I am using CRV's.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
873 Posts
dosent the E have drum brake for parking brake? like corvette.on the inner part of the rotor? there might be an issue there.you will need to pull the rotor to check it out.but first no not butt first,befor you do check the honda parts diragram to be sure,I have been rong once before (just dont tell any body,they all think I'm perfect in every way oops except spellen:razz:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone ever resolve this? I seem to have the same issue, which I posted not too long ago. My sound is more like the humming you get when you run a wet finger around the rim of a thin glass (crystal trick). Goes away when I touch the brake peddle. This sounds like the most similar problem to what I have. I have 39k on my E and when I took it to the dealer they changed the Diff fluid, still there.

The noise isn't always there so I have to be able to replicate it for the service folks, with work and thier hours it's a bit tough.

Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
We've noticed this problem but ONLY with our stock alloy wheels. The 3 season wheels we have are pretty much enclosed. We have studded snowtires on our stock alloy wheels that are more open and we noticed a significant increase in rotor rust due to the exposure. What I do every time it rears its head is spray some brake cleaner onto the rear rotors and it disappears for awhile.
I actually have made a mental note to look for cadmium plated rotors. Ironicly someone mentioned a Corvette before and we had a similar problem on our vette due to using it less. Once I replaced the vette rotors with cadmium plated ones the problem was minimized as now only the rotor surface where pads touch rotor can rust. I suspect with us using the E all the time any noise would be minimal.

·
Registered
590 Posts
l note to look for cadmium plated rotors. Ironicly someone mentioned a Corvette before and we had a similar problem on our vette due to using it less. Once I replaced the vette rotors with cadmium plated ones the problem was minimized as now only the rotor surface where pads touch rotor can rust. I suspect with us using the E all the time any noise would be minimal.
looked around myself, and have yet to find anyone who sells them for the E. just got a powdercoat set from Eastwood and an oven myself. going to PC my next set and then spin the brake surface clean on a lathe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts