Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 03 EX with about 105k miles on it and it's been very reliable. The car was immersed about 2" above the hubs in the flooding after Hurricane Katrina.

About a year ago it started making noise from the left rear while underway and I just assumed the water had caused the problem. It's been slowly getting louder so I decided to take it to a local garage who specializes in Honda's to get the bearings replaced.

They called the day after I brought it in and told me there was nothing wrong with the bearings, that the left rear tire was feathered and that was making the noise. I've got a set of Michelin LTX tires with about 55k on them with plenty of tread on the tire.

I plan on confirming the diagnosis by putting the spare on and trying it out, but in the interim this has me flummoxed.

Is feathering commonplace? I've never had it happen. Would a feathered tire make this much noise? It's pretty loud.

Short of replacing the tire, is there a way to alleviate the problem? If I have to I'll replace the tire, but it pains me as there is a lot of tread left. Could the tires be shaved?

Thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
it probly needs an alginment by somebody that can do it right.
did you change the rear diff fluid?? might want to do that now also.
I have a bad tire that makes a racket also.(it came from another car, but has tread left & the price of new tires is keeping it on there for a while , till I put on a set of 4.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have a set of bridgestone alenza's that did the same thing. i put the tire on the front and got an alignment done. the noise has lessened over time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the fluid about 6 months ago.

Like I said, I'll put the spare on it to see if it alleviates the problem. If so, I'll take it and have a good alignment done on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think your midget wants out. I had one making a terrible racket in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think your midget wants out. I had one making a terrible racket in the spare tire well.
Just one midget? I've got a whole midget pit crew in my spare tire well! On weekends, they live in a tree and make cookies. :grin:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Just one midget? I've got a whole midget pit crew in my spare tire well! On weekends, they live in a tree and make cookies. :grin:
Oy! If I had enough money for a midget pit crew I woulda just bought a Pilot or Ridgie.:twisted:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've got a 03 EX with about 105k miles on it and it's been very reliable. The car was immersed about 2" above the hubs in the flooding after Hurricane Katrina.

About a year ago it started making noise from the left rear while underway and I just assumed the water had caused the problem. It's been slowly getting louder so I decided to take it to a local garage who specializes in Honda's to get the bearings replaced.

They called the day after I brought it in and told me there was nothing wrong with the bearings, that the left rear tire was feathered and that was making the noise. I've got a set of Michelin LTX tires with about 55k on them with plenty of tread on the tire.

I plan on confirming the diagnosis by putting the spare on and trying it out, but in the interim this has me flummoxed.

Is feathering commonplace? I've never had it happen. Would a feathered tire make this much noise? It's pretty loud.

Short of replacing the tire, is there a way to alleviate the problem? If I have to I'll replace the tire, but it pains me as there is a lot of tread left. Could the tires be shaved?

Thanks
My 07 SC has the original Goodyears on the rear-54k and no wear, but one of them has a feathered spot,sounds like a flat spot. It is annoying, but not enough to replace the tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts