Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,
i have a 1995 element that makes a noise from underside front end.it seems to either be worn out shocks or some thing from the trans axil. it is a clunky sound that goes away when i excellerate and at crusing speed is gone.i cant see anything from under side that shows wear on the tie ends or struts. it also makes a noise when im going up hills ,so im wondering if im about to loose the front gear box?i have traveled cross countrywith the rattling and dont know where it is or when something will shear off under stress.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Since it is making noise when you put more load on the axles (accelerate, go uphill), seems like it's the axles.

Any clunks when you go over bumps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when you say axils ,how do i see where the damage is visually ?the tie ends look good ,i crawled under the car and dont see anything

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,530 Posts
First of all (as it seems no one caught it) - do you have a 2005 Element? They weren't made in 1995..... :unsure: :)
Second, in regards to your axle question - no, you may NOT see anything. If there is no leakage at the CV joints (rubber boots at both end of the half shaft (you have two driveshafts - one on each side)), then there may not be telltale signs. If your CV joint is going bad, and not leaking, you would only feel/hear it under load (i.e. driving). How many miles do you have on it? You MIGHT be able to grab the driveshaft and move it back and forth and feel any looseness (it may "pop" back and forth), but, that's not a guarantee, either. IMHO, especially if you have many miles and the shafts are original, changing them out is a great place to start. :)
Same thing with your shocks and struts - they WILL wear out over time/miles, so getting them replaced will definitely help the driveability of your E. Cheers!! :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup ,its 2005 4wd element .i have done more research and looks like it is the cv axils, i cant tell which side is making noise while driving it ,but it sounds like drivers side.
so should i replace both sides????and while im at it do the struts?Any suggestions on where to get the parts besides honda ?
thanx for your help

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,530 Posts
Yes, replace both sides (axles) at the same time. I have not replaced mine (as of yet), so I don't have experience with non-OEM. I have read there is a HUGE difference in price, just do your due diligence in researching brands. Rockauto.com is a source I've used for YEARS, definitely recommend them. Don't go with the most "budget friendly", as they tend to be NOT of the longer-lasting quality. As for the shocks, if they are also original, it may be time to replace them as well. Look for signs of leakage, bouncing, or "just" straight line tracking, as these are all indicators of worn shocks. IMHO, the driveshafts should be replaced first, as they are a vital part of driveability (the shocks are, too, just in a different way). Good luck!! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts