Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have a key included as a standard accessory without the fancy chip, so that it can be worn when canoeing, sailing or swimming and gotten wet. A person would lock the real key in the car and would wear the door only one on a lanyard inside a bathing suit or shirt. The chipless key would let them back in to get the driving key and keyless entry fob.

This coming summer, either I will use the valet key and ruin it for car starting, or I will get a key cut and not programmed, paint it some odd color, so I know which is is, and use it that way. I wouldn't put the good key and keyless fob in the glove box. I don't lock the glove box. It normally only has sunglasses and maps in there. Then using the valet key for that would not be a problem. Valets, which I don't run into often, would get a regular key. It would be nice to have a key included that was already made for this.

When I had my old Olds Silhouette, my previous car, I had an extra key made from blank with a thinner top than the factory one, and it was my water sports key. The keyless entry and the thicker keys went into my hiding place, and I locked them in the car.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,107 Posts
Re: Include a non engine starting door only key

You do have the option of having a regular key cut with out having it reprogrammed or...ask your dealer if they can make you one of these....

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
The dealership can cut you a door only key for around $12.
That is great news and what I was searching for here on the forum. I am a coldwater kiteboarder + surfer and my wetsuits all have a convenient key pocket in the leg. so, I have always surfed with a key in the keypocket or on a string around my neck that let me unlock the door (and in the case of my 1995 Pathfinder, it also started the engine just fine). Now I will have the key and remote inside the car.

Maybe I will also stash the valet key as a hide-a-key for emergencies.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would like to have a key included as a standard accessory without the fancy chip, so that it can be worn when canoeing, sailing or swimming and gotten wet. A person would lock the real key in the car and would wear the door only one on a lanyard inside a bathing suit or shirt. The chipless key would let them back in to get the driving key and keyless entry fob.

This coming summer, either I will use the valet key and ruin it for car starting, or I will get a key cut and not programmed, paint it some odd color, so I know which is is, and use it that way. I wouldn't put the good key and keyless fob in the glove box. I don't lock the glove box. It normally only has sunglasses and maps in there. Then using the valet key for that would not be a problem. Valets, which I don't run into often, would get a regular key. It would be nice to have a key included that was already made for this.

When I had my old Olds Silhouette, my previous car, I had an extra key made from blank with a thinner top than the factory one, and it was my water sports key. The keyless entry and the thicker keys went into my hiding place, and I locked them in the car.
Do you have the key code? I could cut you one and send it to you... you pay shipping.

Pierre

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do you have the key code? I could cut you one and send it to you... you pay shipping.

Pierre
Can you (or the dealer) make a key that's just the thickness of the metal? With my old car I always carried a spare key in my wallet on the off chance that my dogs locked me out of the car (it happened once!). The fat Honda keys just won't work that way. Like the OP, I only need a door key.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Pierre
Since I bought my car slightly used I did not receive the metal tag with keycode, but I did find my keycode handwritten on p.1 of the the Honda Service History 'workbook'). Can the keycode be confirmed using VIN or stock number ?).

I guess if I had an inexpensive key cut and it worked, it would serve as a relatively low-risk test to confirm that the handwritten keycode is correct.

would a key that you could cut be metal only (e.g. thin as possible for an E key) ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
409 Posts
where does one typically find the keycode ? I will look in my manual and paperwork.

It's a small, barcoded tag that should have been attached to one of your key sets

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Can you (or the dealer) make a key that's just the thickness of the metal? With my old car I always carried a spare key in my wallet on the off chance that my dogs locked me out of the car (it happened once!). The fat Honda keys just won't work that way. Like the OP, I only need a door key.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I made one for myself and I keep it hidden under the car, just in case.

I can make them from the key code very easily, the vin doesn't do me any good since I don't have access to Honda database. A close up pic of the key along with the code is all I'd need to make sure the code is right.

The key code can be found on the original key tag, sometimes it's written in the owners manual and it's stamped on the passenger side door lock. The code series is K001-N700... meaning it will always start with K L M or N and have three numbers between 1 and 700.

Pierre

Attachments

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,897 Posts
If you can't find the key code, you will have to go to a Honda dealer with the car's VIN and ask to have a "practice key" cut. Apparently there is no Honda part number, as it's considered a special tool, not a part. Some countermen will know just what to do; others will give you a blank stare. Hopefully one of the employees in Parts or Service will understand.

Edit: The Ilco number on the blank Locksmith illustrates above is H001-SVC.

·
Registered
409 Posts
and it's stamped on the passenger side door lock. The code series is K001-N700... meaning it will always start with K L M or N and have three numbers between 1 and 700.
I learn something new every day - Mahalos! :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Key without a Chip

I completed the mod for using the Acura switchblade key. This left me with a 'donor' key that had no chip. I was wondering what to do with this 'donor' key. After a couple of weeks, I hit upon the solution, that would make this my emergency entry key.

I need to ovecome a major concern. I did NOT want a key in the glove box or readily accessible that could be used to start my E.

I ended up taking a 'good' key and hiding it behind a panel in the 'E'. I know where it is and can get to it in seconds without using any tools. I think it would take someone quite a while to find the key. There are many good places inside an E to hide a key.

I put the emergency key, the former 'donor' key, in a key safe with a strong magnet and have it attached to the car body. Again, I put it where it cannot be seen or easily felt, but I can get right at it.

When I went scuba diving this summer, I took this emergency key with me. I secured it inside one of the zipper pockets on my BC. It was firmly attached, not loose in the BC pocket.

This worked well for me.

Good Luck,
Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Moderator Eh?
12,107 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
i saw something a while ago that was a box that went into the trailer hitch and you put your key in there and it had a combination lock to it

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just a follow up

I now have my own high security key machine, meaning I no longer have to go to the boss to do these. I have figured that $25 for one $35 for two seems to be a good price point for me to cover supplies, shipping and my time. If you're interested e-mail me(which is also my paypal) with an address, the key code and a pic of the key is helpful to make 100% sure the code is right. If you don't have the code it should be stamped on all the locks except the glove box lock. Personally I think the hatch lock is the easiest to remove.

cheers
Pierre

·
Registered
295 Posts
Locksmith, great idea. When I go bicycling I use on e of these keys. I have one in my seat bag and another in a secret location in the car. I bought mine at my local dealer for about $10 each. I will open the door and that's all I need. Before that I used the valet key. I was worried about getting the remote messed up through sweat or rain. Works great.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yep, that's the whole idea. You're one of the lucky ones who has a dealer like that. I've heard from one guy who said his dealer wanted $60 for one of these. That's just way too much.

cheers
Pierre

1 - 20 of 59 Posts