Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I have been lurking for a while with a couple of comments thrown here and there but now it's time to start my build thread. I made 2 sleeping platforms in my jeep when I had that, but this is a whole different set up than I have done in the past since it must be easily removable.

read this I am not a craftsman I have basic construction skills but am better qualified as a shade tree handy man. that being said this plan is a rough draft so use your best judgment with the measurements.

my requirements
1. usable with or without the seats in

2. easily removable and decently light

3. hold at least 400 lbs.

dimensions: L 68 in W 42 in-42 1/2 in (more on this later)

once I get my pictures off my phone I will start the write up. I just need to edit a few.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
lets start with the front legs that rest behind the front seats and extend to the front of the rear cubby. Again make your own measurements for a better fit.

picture 1.
44 in
left. 11 in
right 14 1/4 in
as you can see the legs are different length to compensate for the floors angle in the E with the front leg the longer of the two.

picture 2.
you can see the rear leg that sits against the rear cubby. the one on the left has a 15 degree angle to fit the walls of the E. the right leg has the same cut with a secondary cut to fit the walls of the cubby.

pictures 3 and 4.
are the leg with and without the secondary cut.
the cut allows the leg to sit straight up as you can see in pictures 5 and 6

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the front legs have a 3x1 1/4 notch taken off the bottom to fit around the chair rails with a 1/4 inch by 1/2 tall spacer to more or less lock the front legs in place

picture 1.
we see the notch taken out

picture 2 and 3
we see the spacer placed on the notched bottom to fit in the chair rails

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for breaking up the posts in this thread everyone.

picture 1 and 2
once I assembled all the 2x4s with 3 1/2 in deck screws and added a 1x1 strip of wood to keep the slats still I installed the front rails.

the gap at the front behind the seats is around 43 inch and the gap in the back by the rear seats is 42 3/4 inch.

picture 3
the slats installed just a teaser.

I have to go for now, but maybe I can post more tonight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Looking good. So happy Honda made this car, but they missed the boat on so many levels. However thanks to this forum it will live up to its potential. I love this forum and all the ingenuity of its members. Looking forward to the completion of your project. Welcome to the addictive world of platforms.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice! I assume the side braces are roughly the same height as the inclined front seats?
actually 3 inches lower but I have more storage underneath and I can barely sit up in it, and being 6’ 3....it’s a luxury.

Looking good. So happy Honda made this car, but they missed the boat on so many levels. However thanks to this forum it will live up to its potential. I love this forum and all the ingenuity of its members. Looking forward to the completion of your project. Welcome to the addictive world of platforms.
yes they didn't realize the glory the E could be but that also means they left it open to customization in some sense.

Thanks to the both of you, the platforms both of you have are well made.

So I finished everything yesterday, everything I need anyway since I will be leaving Wednesday for the Wakarusa music festival so ill be back with a trip report.

picture 1.
the back brace is a 25 Inch long 2x4 with two 10 inch long 1 inch wide metal brackets coming off both sides.

picture 2 and 3.
we see the metal brackets which both have 6 holes. The holes at each end have been cut to make a slot witch slides onto the clam shell latch in the back end and a screw placed the rear leg of the front support rails

picture 4 and 5.
shows how I utilized the gap between the tailgate and the side walls to support my platform.

picture 6. the red dot is were the screw is on the other side of the front rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
picture 1.
the connection between back support rails and the front rails.

picture 2 and 3.
back and front rail

picture 4
the front most spring with a notch taken out of the side to hold it at the edge. I think I will change this first as it is more nuisance than anything.

5 and 6 .
show how I used the same size slats as the measurement for the gap. I placed washers between the slats for extra room to fold them in a nesting style, before using washers and some old straps I had laying around to connect the slats

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
picture 1.
You can see the front slats of the platform numbered and color coded for easy installation. The gap between the slats are a little bigger than 2.75 inches with the slats 2.75 inches wide themselves and 42 inches in length. Notice some of the slats are staggered this is in order for them to nest together more flat.

picture 2.
the rear slats. the reason for not staggering them is that I can just slide them together and place them on the rear floor.

picture 3.
the whole thing color coded for easy installation.

picture 4.
shows how little room it takes up in the E when the slats nest properly. I plan on sacrificing some of the length of the front support rail in order to lay flat in the back.

thank you Kcousins for the original inspiration for the spring platform.

and again remember this is a rough draft with warped Lowes 2x4s that as we all know are not true 2x4s :x so later on I will refine the design with the proper wood. Any questions are more than welcome although wont be next to a computer from the 4th to the 9th.

and remember viva la E :eoc::

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts