Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Elementalists,

I plan on taking a long week driving from New York to New Orleans.
Wondering if any of you could give me any great places or routes to check out within my limited time.

One must do thing on my itinerary is the Skyline Highway in Virginia, but pretty much open to other routes and ways of getting there!

Thanks so much in advance ;)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Well , Fat tuesday was last week , but still a great trip . I somehow always find a way to get off 95 and take the Chesapeak bay bridge , it's not 130 miles pure heaven , but I'm partial to the ocean ..........

Good luck and have a safe trip ......

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't know what your into, but these are off the top of my head of things to see:

New River Bridge, West Virgina
Mammoth Cave, KY
Big South Fork, Eastern KY-TN line
Blue Ridge Parkway, NC
Asheville, NC
Chimney Rock, NC
Rock City/Ruby Falls, Chattanooga, TN
Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta, GA
Beale Street, Memphis, TN
Womble Trail, AR

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Don't know what your into, but these are off the top of my head of things to see:
Beale Street, Memphis, TN
Rendezvous BBQ for the best ribs in the world!

We walked up and down Beale street and looked in all the restaurants and none were even half full. When we walked down the alley north of the Peabody Hotel, saw the Rendezvous sign, opened the door and...Holy COW, it was packed! I've eaten BBQ from Maine to Texas and the Rendezvous' ribs top them all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much Chuck for the awesome recommendations.
Now I definitely want to check out the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Asheville.
Since our time is limited, we are probably gonna only be able to do a few of them.
Asheville definitely sounds cool. I definitely want to check out other interesting places on the way. Into art, offbeat, Americana, music, kitch stuff too so any suggestions would be so helpful.
Gonna definitely check out the ribs Gary!

Thanks again

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmm....

Given your interests, I may have to give a plug to my home town. You could cover quite a few of those bases here in one solid day.

Take a tour or maybe make your own mug/art piece in downtown Louisville at Glassworks

Nearly across the road, you can go to the Louisville Slugger museum

You really can't go wrong with shopping, eating, drinking, music listening and art peeping at the East Market District or Highlands neighborhoods.

Our "Mardi Gras" is the Kentucky Derby Festival is a two-week party leading up to the big race. Lots and lots to do.

You are also about 2.5 hours away from Nashville if you enjoy that music scene.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
While in New Orleans go at least once to Coop's Place, 1109 Decatur. It's where the locals eat and you won't be disappointed.

(Can you tell that eating is one of the reasons we like to travel?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm....

Given your interests, I may have to give a plug to my home town. You could cover quite a few of those bases here in one solid day.

Take a tour or maybe make your own mug/art piece in downtown Louisville at Glassworks

Nearly across the road, you can go to the Louisville Slugger museum

You really can't go wrong with shopping, eating, drinking, music listening and art peeping at the East Market District or
Highlands neighborhoods.

Our "Mardi Gras" is the Kentucky Derby Festival is a two-week party leading up to the big race. Lots and lots to do.

You are also about 2.5 hours away from Nashville if you enjoy that music scene.

I've only heard good things about Louisville and have a friend there that I'm gonna hit up.
Thanks again for the awesome recommendations!

Also, any weird roadside attractions u know of on the way? Old Americana? Kitch? Fun?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Depending on how you are coming through Va.:

Of Course Skyline Drive and if you follow that onto the Blue Ridge parkway, just a few miles down the Blue Ridge there is a GREAT 2 hour diversion if you hike up to the top of Humpback Rock! Great Views!

If you choose to come down I-81 through Western Va. then a great alternative is this!

http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/hiking/42909.html

Have a great Trip!

HT

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've only heard good things about Louisville and have a friend there that I'm gonna hit up.
Thanks again for the awesome recommendations!

Also, any weird roadside attractions u know of on the way? Old Americana? Kitch? Fun?
Yep!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mt. Mitchell, NC

Others mentioned the Blue Ridge Pkwy, but I don't think anyone suggested Mt. Mitchell specifically.

It's the highest peak east of the Mississippi at 6684', and has a really amazing ridge hike with great vistas across Mt. Craig, Big Tom, Balsam Cone, etc. You can drive up, and there are tent pad sites (first come first served) on the mountain.

It's in a dry county, so BYOB if you're so inclined...

It's also in easy striking distance to Asheville, which is a great spot.

If you do head down that way, Clingman's Dome (highest point in TN) is just across the border through the Smoky Mtns. Heading out of the park into Gatlinburg is a trip - you'll be in an alpine looking village, then BOOM! Pigeon Forge and Dollywood / Lee Greenwood Theater / etc.

If you like Aquariums, the new one in Atlanta is incredible. Taqueria del Sol for tacos and sweet tea after you see the whale sharks.

Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts