Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was parked illegally in NYC and had my '09 EX towed. Should I be concerned about damage to the car particularly the drivetrain? It drove fine after I picked it up, but I've read about the dangers of towing 4WDs. Does the Real Time 4WD protect from any potential damage?

Thanks!

Johnny

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
no.

If yours is AWD it may have been damaged unless it was on a flat bed. If they lifted just the front or rear and took it with 2 wheels turning and two heels "fixed" the AWD system would be "activated."

If it were mine I'd try and find out what type of equipment they used to tow it.
If you're not sure you might want to have it professionally looked a and/or the diff fluid changed/inspected.

Even if you were not parked leagally, the towing company still has the responsabilty of removing your car as safely and properly as possible.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The only way it didn't get damaged is if they put it on a flatbed. If either the front or rear wheels was on the ground you probably have clutch damage in the rt4wd system. Is your E auto or manual?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
doesnt the AWD get screwed if its towed (2 wheels up and 2 on the ground)... thats what the manual indicates.....

and seriously...i doubt NYPD or any parking enforcement agencies would be kind enough to place a vehicle on a flatbed......

so thinking of that...i place my bets that yes, awd needs to be check for damage.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's an automatic...how would change things?
Well, if it were a manual, and it was in neutral when towed, there'd be less of a chance of damage since everything would be free to rotate. No such luck with an auto. Find out if it was put on a flatbed.

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
That sucks. Many years ago I had my car towed and the experience was the most horrible thing that has ever happened to me. I had to walk from the East Side lower Manhattan all the way across to the West Side mid-Manhattan. It was in the winter and we couldn't get a cab. Man was I angry at myself for not having checked the signs. But as I remember it wouldn't have mattered. Have you ever tried to understand those parking signs they have in NY. You have to be a Boston Lawyer to understand them. Hope your E is okay. (Lesson learned, Right!!)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If NYPD towed it, they don't use flatbeds, and they don't much care if the car is damaged (and it's a division of the Police Dept. with City/NYPD tow trucks, not an indy tow company, so good luck getting them to pay for any damage). :-x

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
A flatbed is not the only way to tow a 4wd. They could have used a dolly to elevate the rear wheels from the street. If they didn't they must not have towed it far, the heat protection in the rear diff would have disengaged the rear wheels.

If they lifted the rear and didn't lift the front and dragged it around town long enough the trans would have taken the hit.

Hope all is well.:-(

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Must be a NY thing. Around here almost every car gets hauled on a dolly. Why is it that in densely populated areas people think that there is no need to treat each other with some respect.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
NYCDOT only use tow trucks, they rarely if ever use a flatbed unless it's something very low to the ground. 99% of the time they will grab whatever end of the vehicle is most readily accessible and most times it's the front wheels. The drivers don't even have to get out of the trucks if it's not safe. They scoop and run.

I have seen cars being towed with smoke coming from the rear wheel wells because the brake is engaged.

You can easily file a claim with the NYCDOT about damage and in some cases they will pay it. I worked for a place many years ago that used to have trucks towed on a regular basis and every once in a while something was damaged. We filed a claim and it would get paid, sometimes. It all depends on where you parked. For instance, if you blocked a firehydrant you will never receive anything. They can crush your vehicle if they chose to. lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
For instance, if you blocked a firehydrant you will never receive anything. They can crush your vehicle if they chose to. lol

... too funny. Saw that happen in Seattle years ago. Some big event gong on and cars parked bumper-to-bumper everywhere. Nice new Caddy on the corner blocking a firehydrent. Garage fire, and firetruck arrived. Fire truck just came up the curb and sidewalk and rammed the Caddy, pushing it into the middle of the street, backed down off the sidewalk, and came at it again shoving it down the block. Pretty much totaled the car. :lol:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Purchase yourself a wheel boot. When you park, just slap it on the car, and leave. When they see it, they'll just drive by. :D

Tow truck operators are the lowest form of life on the planet. They have no heart or soul. Once the car is hooked up to their truck, they charge you an arm and a leg regardless if it was moved and inch. I've seen people begging on the street for cash so the jerk would let it down.

·
1,049 Posts
a2j812 said:
Tow truck operators are the lowest form of life on the planet. They have no heart or soul.

I have never had to park/live in a city like NYC but.....

It makes sense to me if you follow the rules/laws and pay your registration you should NEVER have to deal with having your vehicle towed.

And to blame the tow truck driver doing his job to enforce the rules/law is crazy. That is like blaming the police officer for you getting a ticket for speeding. Park where you are suppose to and it won't happen.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts

I have never had to park/live in a city like NYC but.....

It makes sense to me if you follow the rules/laws and pay your registration you should NEVER have to deal with having your vehicle towed.

And to blame the tow truck driver doing his job to enforce the rules/law is crazy. That is like blaming the police officer for you getting a ticket for speeding. Park where you are suppose to and it won't happen.

In NYC it isn't always a matter of reading the parking signs and following them. Some of them are so ambiguous or placed in areas that make you question everything. If it were cut and dry then NYCDOT would not have anything to do.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
When I ran a towing company and used a wheel lift or sling truck on any AWD vehicle I would throw it up on tow dollys as it only took about a minuet to do when you are quick and I NEVER!!! would drag the car like that in the Vid as a jack would do it just fine under the right spot. I did a LOT of impounds and repos.Most wheel lift trucks will about to pick up a car almost at a 90 deg angle if you have the room. Back to you car. Get the rear end checked by the dealor or check the fluid yourself and if its black they most likely towed it with the clutches dragging. If the driver had a little brains he would feel the dragging from it trying to in guage and ether put the dollys under it or get a flatbed. It will drive just fine until you need the 4X4 system to inguage. One of the cars we towed one day was a under cover FBI car... That was another story and yes they had to pay to get it out.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts