Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
after shelling $100 at the shop for inspection, I know the engine light issue was front o2 sensor.
Shop asks $100 for labor + $200 parts.

I look online for o2 sensors for the element and there are Replacement universal sensors for like $30, or even Bosch for $50.

Is it not recommended using those o2 sensors?

And what's difference if it's 1,2 or 4 wires?

In a nutshell, I am trying to figure how much would cost to do it myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
873 Posts
get the one for the E, the extra wires do something, like turn on the preheat for the o2 sensor to work when cold.I had to go to a 4 wire on my hotrod due to the short exhaust&big camshaft. just get what it takes.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Yes

Several people have had trouble with the Bosch and other brands.

That includes myself.

Go with the Honda part.

Dom

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd buy the Honda part...but take it to a Muffler shop.

Mine charged me $10 to put it in and took ten minutes. It isn't rocket science. Anyone who charges $100 to put it in is ripping you off.

If you go with Bosch, make sure you do the direct fit replacement instead of the generic. Keep your warranty paperwork...you could need it. And if you're not familiar with installing one, you can easily fry your computer by connecting the wrong wires on the generic (you wire your own harness)..and shorts can easily happen if you get splashed beneath the car....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
There is 2 brands I absolutely reccomend.

1: Bosch- I had brand new stock ones on my camaro when it was dyno tuned and the best the guy could get was 396.4 rwhp. The tuner asked me if he could try 2 others. He put in the bosch and I went up to 413.? Because they supposedly had a faster sensor in them so the computer gets the info faster. I do reccomend getting the direct non-splicing parts.

2: Innovate Motorsports- awesome brand!! This was the second brand he put in, they are suppliers of 95% of aftermarket fmu's and stand alone fmu systems including AEM, Fast, Accel, motec, ect. After he put these in I got 421.4 hp on the last tune and when he retuned it I got 426.7 rwhp and gain 14ftlb of torque. Also, PMI which owns Wiseco piston(my employer), JE pistons, K1 technologies, and Pro-X, just bought Innovate so now I get discounts for my stuff, yay!! Edit: I just looked and the have stopped selling their replacement performance o2 sensors, they are using bosch now for replacement, they only are making wideband o2 sensors now, so nevermind, sorry.

This is just my opinions. Also, bosch o2 sensors come with a warranty. Also, since your o2 sensor went bad and you do not really know for how long, I highly highly reccomend a new catalytic converter, a universal catco with a mid-cat o2 bung like the stock honda is available from summit racing for $83, and it flows more than stock. With both replaced you will gain back mileage and probably a little power. If you have any questions, please ask, that is what I am here for. Later,
Steve-O

·
Registered
510 Posts
i have been using bosch universal o2 sensor on all my cars and i dont have any problem with them.but u do need to do some wiring work.they are not direct plug and play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts