Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 E has the CEL on and OBD II says Code PO302 and PO172, I have a shop manual coming from ebay but it'll be a few days. PO302 discription is "Generic cyl 2 misfire detected" and PO172 is "Generic system to rich (bank 1)".
I'm thinking both of these codes could be spark plug driven, just a guess after reading about 12 pages of threads. My E has 62K miles.
Any suggestion while I'm waiting on the manual?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I'm guessing that you see the "too rich" message because of the misfires. That could be from a fouled spark plug, bad wire, or even a fouled injector. You need a mechanic's advice.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If I came across this problem, I would try to address the misfire first and it was probably listed before the P0172. A cheap and easy way to check if you have a misfire from a bad coil would be to move it somewhere else and while you are there, check the plugs for any abnormal wear. If the misfire goes to a different cylinder then you have a bad coil. It also wouldnt hurt to throw in a new set of plugs since you are there already.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When was your last tuneup?

This misfire caused the rich condition. If you haven't had a tuneup recently, or ever, I'd go out and buy some NGK Iridium plugs and replace them (cake). Have the codes cleared. See if they come back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks to all, I'm in the process of changing plugs now, 1st time since new. Let you know how I make out...thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It worked ....so far

new plugs enabled me to clear the codes and it runs great, hope thats it..thanks again for the input...

·
Registered
176 Posts
new plugs enabled me to clear the codes and it runs great, hope thats it..thanks again for the input...
I just had the same problem with my 2003 element:
Check engine light was flashing, rough idle, loss of power.
I searched online to do my research.

unplugged each coil and put them back in, noticed that the 1st coil was at fault because when I unplugged it the engine didn't bogg down.
Luckily, I had an extra coil lying around, changed it and voila! the ride is smooth again. Now I just have to take it to Autozone or Pepboys to do a diagnostic check.

Thanks ya'll!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts