Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Element has a "rotten egg" smell at times when I turn off the engine. Is this a new car thing or should I worry?

Joan
Washington State

·
Registered
608 Posts
Humm, usually the "rotten egg" smell is from the catalytic converter. I would say give it a week to 10 days, and if it continues, take it back to the dealer and have him check it. It may just have to burn off a bit, but otherwise, let the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I did not experience the rotten egg smell, I am curious has it ceased the smell or did you contact your dealer, which I would do just to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
46 Posts
extremely common to new cars, used ones that have sat for a long time on the lot or those that have had recent exhaust work

~~get them everyday in the shop stinking up the place..

let the car run as much as possible at operating temperature (2 mile trips to the grocery store only make it worse)... get it out on the freeway, enjoy the drive and rack a few miles... you'll blow the smell off in short order

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That makes a lot of sense, i had an hour drive home from my dealer, then a mini tour when i got back to show off.. then the next day more driving and the following day i drove all day.. sooo it has not had a chance to really have that issue.

Thank you for clarifying that issue.. windowtint! Great having someone who handson knows.. cool!

·
Registered
253 Posts
When I drove my car home from the dealership, I was panicked because I started smelling this burning smell. I asked the dealer and he said this was common for new cars. It has slowly disappeared. Did anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I did not smell it, but I heard this is very common.. we had a long drive home, so by the time we got home my car was very happy and all smelled out..

·
Registered
109 Posts
A friend of mine who is a Honda mechanic tells me that if you engine is made in Japan, they coat it with something to ship it to prevent rust in transit. This burns off after a few hundred miles but causes a funny smell, no damage though. If you are worried, have it looked at, but dont be too alarmed if they tell you its nothing :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what the dealer told me about that coating on the engine. I've never bought a brand new vehicle, but I just had to have this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts