Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Summer my wife drives the car and goes shopping. When she comes back out, car won't shift. We went to the board and they taught me about the shift lock thing and I had her check all the fuses. Turns out it was a 10amp fuse. I also had her replace and tighten the gas cap, which by the way is a Handa locking gas cap. Did all that and she's been driving fine ever since.

I do have the problem of having the airbag light on. Not the airbag is off light but the airbag. I contacted the Kirkland Honda dealer and they want $103 just to hook up their code machine. BS on that! I've also seen that after gas cap pressure malfunction you can get that airbag light, and need to reset under the dash. Haven't tried that, but am thinking I might want to.

However....when I got my new NOkians a couple months ago, I reset the odometers 1 and 2 and did that so I knew 1. when to change the oil and 2. when to check the air pressure. The other day they reset themselves. Wife didn't touch them. But the main odometer was fine. Today I opened the car door to get in and the dash comes on...? and goes out, with no key or lights being turned on. I turn on the car and everything is fine.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Autozone will check the OBDII for free. You might take it there and see if it's throwing a code. They will also tell you what the code means as well.

Other than that, it's way outta my league.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
...However....when I got my new NOkians a couple months ago, I reset the odometers 1 and 2 and did that so I knew 1. when to change the oil and 2. when to check the air pressure. The other day they reset themselves. Wife didn't touch them. But the main odometer was fine. Today I opened the car door to get in and the dash comes on...? and goes out, with no key or lights being turned on. I turn on the car and everything is fine.

Thoughts?

The trip odometers will "roll over" to zero after 999 miles. Letme guess.....you got them new tires about 1000miles ago?!

The flashing dash lights prolly matched the flashing parking lights. When you used the keyless entry to unlock the doors the lights flash...parking, tail, dash...etc. (Prolly had a little beeping going on too).

All that is very normal.

For the other stuff...many auto parts stores and repair centers will scan codes for free.

Good luck.

·
12,179 Posts
I've also seen that after gas cap pressure malfunction you can get that airbag light, and need to reset under the dash. Haven't tried that, but am thinking I might want to.
These two systems are totally indepedant of each other. Do yourself a favour and get the SRS code checked properly. If you have a legitamate problem the code will just end up coming back anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts