Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
EOC Rank: BANNED! :)
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning my wife calls me and says "hey I'm having a bit of car trouble".

Turns out, the throttle was revving very high, and she'd pulled over. At that point the car would not come out of park. Eventually she managed to get the throttle down and get going but it worries me.

We were unable to replicate the problem at home and the drove off again to work and made it there fine. The car only has 42k miles on it.

Anyone else have anything happen similar to this? I'm apt to say the pedal just stuck to the side of the elemat or something but this type of thing could cause an accident. Wondering if I should bring the car in.

·
Registered
834 Posts
So this morning my wife calls me and says "hey I'm having a bit of car trouble".

Turns out, the throttle was revving very high, and she'd pulled over. At that point the car would not come out of park. Eventually she managed to get the throttle down and get going but it worries me.

We were unable to replicate the problem at home and the drove off again to work and made it there fine. The car only has 42k miles on it.

Anyone else have anything happen similar to this? I'm apt to say the pedal just stuck to the side of the elemat or something but this type of thing could cause an accident. Wondering if I should bring the car in.
you most likely need throttle body service due to the weather changes, H charges quite a bit for the service or you can start with BG44K and see if that helps first before you decide going to your local dealer fro the actual/comlete cleaning.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Honda transmissions are controlled by the ECM/PCM. The reason it will not let you shift out of park when it's revving up is due to a safety parameter in the transmission's electronic program. It prevents damage to the transmission from shifting into gear while the RPMs are too high. I believe you can replicate this by turning the car to "ON" but not starting it and pressing the pedal down halfway or more and try to shift out of park. You should not be able to even with the brake pedal pressed. There are similar protection parameters for the other gears in that they will not engage even when shifted into that position until the vehicle speed has reached a certain limit specific for that gear range.

I know you looked but I would first check to make sure nothing is catching on the accelerator pedal like a mat or other object which may have worked it's way under there. Once you have eliminated anything easy and obvious, depending on how comfortable you are with it, remove the airbox tube and check the condition of your throttle body and throttle plate. Press the throttle plate with your fingers to see if it moves smoothly and does not bind abnormally (drive-by-wire systems may feel notchy or like they are binding due to the servo which controls the throttle plate).

Anything beyond physical problems might require a scantool which can communicate with the vehicle and give sensor and component feedback via a data list. Unfortunately, this requires a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi GenX, Good to see your advice again. I have the multiple parameter OBDII software for my laptop. Can the ECM updates be done through this if I happen to get a hold of the software? Is there a way to get the software? Thanks, RK.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I had mine stick while on the freeway. Not sure if it was stuck on the mat or other problem, but my mechanic cleaned (or replaced?) the throttle body cable (or something like that?) cuz he said gunk builds up on it ... I was around 50,000 miles at that point, so we're not far off there. Not sure how much it cost, but clearly it wasn't that painful or I'd remember. There are other threads about it, and I posted in one of 'em, but I'm too lazy to search right now. Try "throttle" and a thread I posted in, maybe.

I thought you got rid of the E for a Fit?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hi GenX, Good to see your advice again. I have the multiple parameter OBDII software for my laptop. Can the ECM updates be done through this if I happen to get a hold of the software? Is there a way to get the software? Thanks, RK.
To my knowledge, the ECM/PCM software update is only available through a dealership. Any updates and scanning must be performed using the Honda Diagnostic Systems (HDS) scantool, the Honda Interface Module (HIM) and the wireless e-Tech server in the dealership's shop.

I'm not sure if there is an aftermarket equivalent available, but I'm guessing not because the updates and such would be protected from use outside of the dealership.

I had mine stick while on the freeway. Not sure if it was stuck on the mat or other problem, but my mechanic cleaned (or replaced?) the throttle body cable (or something like that?) cuz he said gunk builds up on it ... I was around 50,000 miles at that point, so we're not far off there. Not sure how much it cost, but clearly it wasn't that painful or I'd remember. There are other threads about it, and I posted in one of 'em, but I'm too lazy to search right now. Try "throttle" and a thread I posted in, maybe.

I thought you got rid of the E for a Fit?
I had mine stick a tiny but on an off-ramp after an hour-long 401 highway drive. It felt like the same sticking sensation that customers complain about on the '98-'02 Accords of which I have diagnosed and repaired a few. I cleaned the throttle body and throttle plate thoroughly with carb/intake cleaner by working the throttle plate open and closed while spraying it with the intake cleaner. If necessary, an old toothbrush soaked in intake cleaner works too for gettting in and around the throttle plate pivot areas.

For cable-actuated throttle bodies, of the few that I worked on, only one actually needed a cable. You can isolate the butterfly plate by opening and closing the butterfly plate by hand via the cable dial on the opposite site of the TPS. Since the cable goes slack when you turn it by hand, if you will feel it sticking then the butterfly plate is the culprit. If it opens and closes smoothly, chances are the cable is at fault. If it is indeed the cable, in most cases replacement is required to rememdy the complaint since it is non-serviceable.

·
EOC Rank: BANNED! :)
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, I will look into your ideas and see what's up. The E hasn't acted up at all since that day, and it has been a perfect vehicle basically up till now so I'm hoping it was just something sticking.

Junebug: The plan had been to get a Fit to replace the E, but then we went on a trailer trip and decided to get another vehicle in addition to the E. We're still waiting on that because of the furloughs happening in California. On top of that I got married to Lynn and of course the costs there were pretty heavy.

Oh who am I kidding? I just couldn't get rid of the E. I love my little Cosmo so. <3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts