Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have three very long road trips coming up this summer with my faithful box and will be towing a 4'X8' U-Haul rental trailer each time (or something nicer if I can find one on Craigslist). I'm shooting for about 1300-1450 pounds in tow.

Here are my trips (all of which go through the mountainous terrain near Nashville):
Indiana to Florida - 1050 miles
Florida to Massachusetts - 1300 miles
Massachusetts to Indiana - 1030 miles
There are all within a two month time span.

The E is currently at U-haul getting a hitch installed while I'm out of town, but they called me with an odd message today. I planned on also putting on a transmission cooler because of the length of these trips, the terrain I'll be crossing, and the heat of the summer. U-haul just let me know that they cannot install the cooler because it would require them to take the entire front end of the car apart to do so (and they don't want to harm my car).

I don't have the tools available or a place to work since I'm now in a college dorm. What do you suggest I do?

Just go to another U-haul and see if they'll do it?...
Go to a Honda dealer and pay out the nose?...
Go to some random mechanic?....
Forget the Trany cooler?...

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Removing the front "nose mask" is very simple, and would take maybe 30min tops.

There are instructions in the "fog light" install and "gutter guard" install threads.

Try another place. Maybe find a local "performance" shop, they should be well equiped to handle it for you. A "hitch and RV" type place is another option.

I would try and stick w/ the cooler if at all possible, it'll help the longevity of your tranny quite a bit.

Good luck.

Will

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Just take the front off yourself. Wire tie the front plate bask on, and drive it in to them. The lights stay with the car, so it is not against the law. It will look funny driving it though!

Dom

·
Registered
590 Posts
print out the instructions of how to rip the front end off, i'd be apprehensive too if i didn't know what was really involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice

Well... I don't even have the tools to take off the front bumper (or a place to keep the bumper during the service)...

I guess I'll just follow Spam16v's idea of printing out the removal instructions and bringing it to a different shop. The question is, since I'm not getting it installed at a U-haul place - what trany cooler should I get?
Any suggestions? Should I just pick up the U-haul one and get that installed at a different shop??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just did mine like a month ago and I knew I should have taken pictures.
The hardest part of the job was fitting your hands between the radiator and condenser to attach the cooler to the condenser. Make sure to loosen the 2 10mm bolts holding the condenser in place so you get a few extra inches to do the work. Also what ever kit you get, there will not be enough hose, so buy an extra 2 to 3 feet.

That is if you decide to do it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I can't do it myself, rico2072... If I could I would...

But I'll make sure to print out that advice and bring it to whatever shop I use.

I still need to know which cooler to get...
Can someone who has the U-haul trany cooler tell me their opinion?
Should I get the Heavy Duty Cooler or the Regular one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts