Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys might enjoy the post I made to my blog today (the blog is actually about training and trialling my border collie, but I couldn't resist writing about my new E anyway):

I have never been the sort of person who names a car. I have always had little emotional attachment to my cars. (My cars, for their part, have always appeared to have little emotional attachment to me.) But I've never had a car with as much personality as this Element before. My previous cars were definitely on the wrong side of dull. I started out with a $200 Opal--anyone remember the Opal?--when I was sixteen, courtesy of a couple of adult friends to whom I had attached myself in high school. It died after my first year in college, and I purchased a used, pale yellow, Datsun B-210 in college. When I graduated, I bought my first new car, a Volkswagen Fox: made in Brazil (I'm not making this stuff up!), that car has to have been the worst, most unreliable vehicle ever to roll off an assembly line. After about six years of suffering, I gave up on it and bought the Mercury Villager minivan, which served me well for ten years. And now I have . . . Edgar.

Yes, I'm very much afraid that, without having been consciously aware of it, I have somehow managed to dub this car Edgar. I didn't plan to name my car, and for a few days I tried to pretend that it was the same nameless, functional machine as all the rest. But facts are facts; this car's name is undeniably Edgar. Why Edgar? I'm fond of assonance, and Edgar the Element has a nice ring to it. But there's more to it than that: this car is a geek. It's the sort of car that's only cool to people who were destined to end up *really* cool, not to the popular guy in high school who goes on to a life of bowling on Thursdays and longing for his adolescent glory days, or to the cheerleader he dated, who has moved on to her own fulfilling career as a hairdresser in the same tired little town where both of them allegedly grew up. It's the token "unpopular" kid that you see on every teen soap, the one secretly more interesting and more good-looking than the popular hero (a fact very obvious to the audience) but who is still mysteriously tortured and thrown into lockers by the stubbornly obtuse thirty-year-olds that Hollywood casts as "typical" high school students. You know the type: Pacey on Dawson's Creek, Noel on Felicity, Xander on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Clark on Smallville, Ephram on Everwood, and now Seth on The O.C. (Yes, I admit that I'm overly familiar with the genre. Your point?) But that's Edgar all over: he's only good-looking to the people who have a genuine sense of style, he's hip without being blatantly trendy, and he has the strength of character to go the distance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
:lol: your so write to each his own i love my E! when im not driving it i enjoi sitting in it at time's i can't wait to take it out on the beach :wink: im getting my surf racks and main rack thing next week so i guess i will half to throw da boards in the back this week,but i have had 3 cars now 1990 Jeep Wrangler,2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse and now my ELEMENT I love it,i get so many comments and man thats so cool my brother is a skateboarder and he is like 14 1/2 now he now says :lol: he is getting one it is perfect for every unique person out there. I love my moon roof recline the seats all the way back and just look up at the stars.

*May not be great paragrapho or anything i feel a need to reply with all the (+) of my ELEMENT :D It has just made me so happy and i could go on and on about the positives of the ELEMENT!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ditto for me.

Every car before was just a way to get around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OH! We LOVE our Element! (Her name is Ella) I haven't had a new car in 12 years, yes - 12 YEARS! My husband and I were the same type people. We had cars with no emotional attachment to them. Vehicles were for one purpose and one purpose only - to get you from one place to another. We didn't much care what they were or what they looked like - so long as they worked. We couldn 't afford to actually find a car that we liked and buy it. We ended up with "hand-me-down" vehicles and didn't really mind. We would just say, "Well, at least we don't have a car payment every month!" When we were able to afford a car payment and our much used-and-abused, hand-me-down Buick Le Sabre was breathing it's last breath - we started looking for a SUV and almost purchased a Nissan Xterra. THEN, I saw an ad for the Element and was curious. I didn't mention it to my Hubby. But 2 days later, he came home with one (test driving - great minds think alike!). We both absolutely loved it! We bought it a few days later. That was months ago and we still LOVE it! Our kids (6 and 8) took pictures of it to school for show-and-tell that week. It is great to drive, easily cleaned and roomy. People ask about it CONSTANTLY. We are thinking about buying a second one!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts