Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this happen yet? The odemeter is completely blank, but all the other guages and lights work o.k. I looked in the manual and don't see a fuse for the odometer. I need to track my mileage for work so this is a major headache. Anyone?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,897 Posts
Dmb,

The odometer has two bulbs. It's unlikely that both would burn out at the same time, though you might not have noticed when the first bulb went out. Did the odo look completely normal before it died? With the ignition on, try shining a bright light on the display. If you can see numbers, then it's just a case of burned-out bulbs. OTOH if you can't see a display, and if at night there is a faint glow, then the bulbs are working and the LCD (or the circuit that gives it information) is the culprit.

There's a self-diagnostic function that uses the odometer to display error codes. Your dealer can run this check without disconnecting anything.

Update, August 2010: Honda issued a notice to service techs in 2007 noting that since odometer bulbs can burn out like any other incandescent bulb, to try a bulb change as a first resort: "Don't just rush off and replace the gauge control module." Unfortunately as can be seen below, many dealerships don't know this, or worse, try to milk customers for an expensive repair.

The #2721 bulb has been demonstrated to be successful in this application.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out lasr night and made sure the lights weren't dimmed. I tried all settings with lights on and off, pushed the reset, etc., no luck. The little display is completely out. Dooh!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Odometer out

My odometer display is blank. Speedometer and other guages are having no issues. The dealership I bought the E from would not say or even hint as to whether this is covered under warranty until I go in and pay the $125 inspection fee. They said the warranty company Portfolio would not confirm what is covered until it is inspected by the dealership. Does this sound right? What might be the problem with the odometer? I hate problems:mad:

·
Registered
233 Posts
dmb,

I am now experiencing the same issue - odometer completely blank (no light at all). Have you made any headway?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, mine started to work again, but I can see where one side is dimmer than the other. I think the dim side is the result of a bad bulb and may have always been that way. The other side must have jiggled loose which resulted in the blank display, then jiggled itself back again. I'm leaving it alone for now, since it seems to be okay.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,897 Posts
Re: Odometer out

Big Fig said:
$125 inspection fee
Time to find a new dealer.

Why not just replace the bulbs to see if that's the cause? White [edit: #2121] bulbs should be easier to find than the color ones; my local auto parts store stocks 'em.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

The inspection fee is BS. I have never heard of that before, take it to another dealer if you can, or just flat out tell them that the charge is unreasonable. What's the point in getting things fixed for free when they are under warranty if you have to pay 125 bucks to prove that it is under warranty? :twisted:

·
Registered
505 Posts

$125! :shock: Are they out of their. As Dan stated, time for a new dealer.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Yeah. I'll try replacing the bulb first then definitely a new dealer. I thought that inspection fee sounded like crap.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,107 Posts

The "inspection" fee is most likely the deductable some aftermarket warranty companies charge on repairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My odometer went out on my '04 E about 3 weeks ago.
Warranty covered it with $50 deductible.
Had to wait 2 weeks to get replacement part.
Also, repair shop did not set new odometer to current
mileage. So when I got it back it showed only 2 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the problem came back. I removed the bulbs by following the very good directions per rambler Dan's instructions (http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/instrument_bulbs.htm) and saw that they were burnt out. Everyone says they are size 74 bulbs, which I went out and got, but they don't fit. You can see where their base is a hair shorter and fatter then the originals. I hate to go online to buy more 74's just to have the same problem. What am I missing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The new bulbs will not seat in either of the odometers sockets. They are #74 sylvania's which I got from pep boys. Because I need the odometer to track miles for work, I took the two out of the tachometer area. Who needs a tachometer with an automatic anyway? I suppose I will have to go to the dealer to get them....

·
Registered
2 Posts
any more info on this?

my odometer went blank about a month ago (2004 element EX). car is out of warranty (55K).

the dealer said he will inspect it (and charge about $90 just to inspect). i really don't feel like giving them a $100 just to tell me I probably need a whole new instrument panel for god knows how much $$.

So ... thinking of replacing bulbs as outlined here:
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/instrument_bulbs.htm

Just wondering if anyone has info regarding what bulbs fit or don't fit. it seems some have had problems with finding the correct bulbs.

any updated info is greatly appreciated. . .

THANKS . . . .

1 - 20 of 189 Posts