Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I had been purchased an Element on the spur of the moment in this past Friday. I have been driving an 1998 Odyseey and have done the kid thing, washing machines, lumber, landscaping etc. I had valvoline drop an engine in 65K ago so I have only 100K on the engine and 220K on the car. I simply love the vantage points and the comfort of the van.

I bought a 2006 with high miles for a decent price and the dealer threw in OZ 20" rims/tires. On the way home I really was rocking, but since then I am finding it a little rough and bouncy. I also notice more blind spots, but it seems to have more zip and I am getting more looks. Now I feel evey bump or it seems to me.

For the community are these two apple to apple as far as riding comfort and life expectancy? Should I trade down the tires and perhaps get a better ride. I love the fold down of the Odysey for cargo now I am vision blocked when i put them up. Don't want to be a whiner just thought some experinced voices would help with whether I should make the change. Worse on Gas? Thank you I will be delighted to share the board if I keep it. Welcome comments. Honda user for 30 years.

·
Registered
524 Posts
well no not really. (as far as standard OEM ride) The Odyssey is meant for a more of a family ride and the E is kind of a nimbler SUV. I have no idea how it would ride on 20" but for me I'd go the stock rims and try some nicer wheels meant for comfort.

Another thing to note too is the dramatic difference in years, suspension is different - not to mention how old are the struts in the Odyssey.

The E certainly does have blind chunks. But if you search here for positioning of mirrors for Blind Spots (or use the fish-eye) it would help quite a bit.

Welcome to the club ;-);-)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You had a Van and went to a Box. :lol: Probably should of kept the van :lol:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ditch the 20's. :-(

Elements have huge blind spots, mostly due to the chunky pillars and the split gate. Driving an E is like boxing. If you don't keep your head moving you're gonna get smacked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
van to E

I want from a Pontiac Trans Sport Montana to the E. I have noticed no real difference other than the blind spots and wind stability. I'm rolling stock 16" wheels though. The only things I miss from the van are the steering wheel radio controls and keyless entry. I fixed the keyless entry... working on the radio controls.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
the 20" wheels are the reason for the horrible ride. There is practically no side wall which is actually part of the suspension or in your case lack there of. Go to a dealer and test drive an Element and you will see the difference. Even go test drive a used Element for a better comparison.

Try selling the 20's on here and getting yourself a set of stock 16" wheels/tires.

As for the blind spots... the Element has them but you get used to them and figure out how to work with them. After 5.5 years I don't even notice them anymore and have yet to have any issues.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
751 Posts
The ride is rougher than other cars. I figured it was a Honda thing as the Civic we own is pretty stiff when going over speed bumps and such as well. I imagine that stiffer ride is amplified by the 20" rims with what I can only assume is some pretty thin rubber wrapped around it. I'd go down to the factory size rim and tire size (please don't buy the OEM tires, there are much better options, just search here) and your ride should improve.

Go here to find out how to setup your mirrors to help with rear and rear side blind spots: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

You're going to have to learn how to look around that massive a-pillar in the front. It doesn't take long to get used to.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wheelbase

Odyssey is on Accord wheelbase and Element is on shorter Civic wheelbase. The longer weelbase does not have as much front-rear bounce and buck. Tire choicing can improve or worsen each choice.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
good topic......I'm in the market for a used Odyssey, if I ever sell my beetle..... I'm curious on how it compares to the element, fuel mileage, any real facts for current owners..... Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts