Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether or not the OEM fog light switch has a circuit that indicates a burnt bulb by turning off the internal green LED? Or do I have to order a new switch as well as a replacement fog light bulb?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Me too?

Talk about an old thread...

My Honda fog switch no longer lights up when the fogs are on. However, the switch is still otherwise illuminated in the dark.

So does this mean I have 1 little bad bulb in my switch and I have to buy a new switch? Since the switch still functions and the rest of it lights up, I assume it's not a wiring issue, right?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
It sounds like a bulb (incandescent, not LED) simply burned out. You can replace the switch or the bulb only.

The bulbs are Honda p/n 35850-SCV-A01 (#2 in illustration below) and 35851-SCV-A01 (#3). I don't know which bulb illuminates the word "FOG" and which indicates that the circuit is energized, but the parts are likely distinguished only by the color filter, so you could probably buy either one and reuse the filter from the old bulb if necessary.

According to NighthawkBlackPearlEX-P in this thread, "They are simply a #7219 with a condom (colored filter), wire lead, 'grain of wheat' bulb commonly found at Radio Shack as 272-1092. You will need to wrap the leads through the wedge, and remove and reuse the colored filter on the new bulb."

The fog switch assembly is p/n 08V31-SCV-120A (gray) or 08V31-SCV-110A (black).

To remove switch: Reach behind dash, depress side tabs, and push switch out toward you. (Cruise control switch shown; fog is the same.)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Finally replaced the fog light bulb.

Observations:

1- The side tabs in pic 2 of ramberdan's post didn't feel like they could be pressed to release. They just feel like flat plastic. After a few tries, it does indeed press to release. The Radio Shack bulbs are perfect (I did cut the wires to the same length as the stock wire length).

2- Be careful when removing the condoms, I broke one of them at the shaft but luckily still had enough of the tip to cover the new bulb.

3- I disconnected the fog light switch and completely removed it rather than simply pushing it out with the wiring harness attached. Made it much easier.

4- There are 2 bulbs and two different colored condoms. Not sure what the other bulb does nor what exact color the 2nd condom is. But since the Radio Shack bulbs come as a set of 2, I replaced them anyway.

The bulbs were $1.99 and it took about 20 mins. For you experts, it should take probably 7 mins.

Pics of the old bulbs, RS product bag and finished work.

Thanks for saving me $$$ yet again - EOC rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
On my '04, the words "cruise" and "fog" were never lit from day one. Is this normal? Why 2 bulbs then?
They both light up on my 04 EX GGM. That's a little odd that BOTH yours have a problem. I'm assuming you checked with headlights ON, as that's when they would light. Find a fiend with an E and trade buttons as a test. If not, you can buy a new switch for $10-$15 and either test/replace.

·
Registered
566 Posts
They both light up on my 04 EX GGM. That's a little odd that BOTH yours have a problem. I'm assuming you checked with headlights ON, as that's when they would light. Find a fiend with an E and trade buttons as a test. If not, you can buy a new switch for $10-$15 and either test/replace.
What colors are the words when they light up? Maybe I'll just switch the condoms. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts