Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought an Element with the fog lights? What do you think of them??

Has anyone attempted to install them afterwards? How difficult was it. I pulled the instuctions off the web and it doesn't look too easy.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hmrjr,

We bought the fog lights. I had checked out the instructions before I told the dealer to go and do it.

I don't like paying extra for the dealer to make money, but in this case I thought it was the way to go. You have so much to take off, if just seemed like the time I would have to put in, was just not worth it to me money wise.

My wife and I drive from Maine down to Virginia, and thru PA, so across the Northeast, Mid atlantic, etc. We like having fog lights. We just got our Element a few weeks back, and have not run into any fog, yet. They seem to be good, but a bit unprotected from road dangers. I guess after our frist few trips, I will know a bit more about them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the fog lights -- not because I necessarily needed them, but just because I found the plastic spots/holes in the front of the car a little annoying and really wanted to make sure I put something there. I think it looks a lot better with the fog lights and that they are a good investment as an option. Just my opinion, but, i've been happy with them.

I do agree that they don't look that well protected and I have heard that someone's light was broken after merely a week of use because a rock bounced up and hit it. I just hope that I don't have that unlucky experience anytime soon because they weren't that cheap. I also think that having someone intall them professionally is a good idea. I know that I was held up from picking my E up because the wiring and installation of them was taking longer then the techs had anticipated.

Hope this all helps.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I went with Fog Lights too. But they are not in yet, they will be letting me know when all my accessories are in so everything can be done at once. So I have a naked Element for now :oops:

I had fog lights on my prelude many moons ago, and it made a huge difference, I loved them. Since the Integra I have does not have them and i sure did miss them.

I also got them cause the empty dents do look weird with out them!

Since I don't have them yet and I drive on some dark roads, I live conveniently near a statepark, with a gorgeous dark road. The head lights (with out turning on high beams) is like day light, wow.. the head lights are amazing on this vehicle.. so seems like the fogs will be ornamental only.

As far as the breaking, there should be some kind of impact plastic cover, or perhaps the light grills that can go over off road headlights not sure if they make them for the fogs but worth looking into to keep them from breaking, i will keep my eyes open and if I find them I willpost it here!

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The stock Honda fog lights are made of the same material as the head lights, lexan plastic. As far as installing them yourself you do need to remove the front bumper cover and cut the holes out with a rotary tool. I would not recomend doing this yourself as you will void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
PSKBEAR: I am getting mine dealer installed.. but how about peoples who do have the materials and know how to do the work, that you feel would be kosher right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Even if you have the wherewithall and tools to do the job right. You can still void the warranty. Case in point; a service customer brought in their 02 acc. Inside of which was an aftermarket radio. The car drove fine, until he put it in drive. The installation was done incorrectly and he fried his ecu. OUCH!! So, $1150.00 later he had his car back and no electrical warranty to go along with it. Am I saying if you install a cargo cover and your tailights blow you're not covered? No. But any warranty issue arizing from a home installed product might void certain warranties. As I've said, have fun just be careful. 8)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That is an excellent example thank you!

Like I have said all my drilling & electical add ons are being done by my dealer (eventually, as soon as they get stuff in.. sigh) but Yeah that is why I am having them do it, to avoid major boo-boos to such an investment as a car is..

Again thank you & that is a super example!

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a Parts Manager and a Warranty Admin. for a Honda Dealership, I can offer the following info. regarding accesory purchase, installation, and warranty. If the dealer installs the accessory at the time of retail purchase, the accessory is covered for 3yr/36k. If the dealer installs the accessory after retail delivery It is covered 12m/12k parts and labor. The exception to this is audio equipment which is covered to the end of the3yr/ 36k.Over the counter purchases are covered for 12mo.
Customers installing accessory items themselves do not jeopardize their warranty unless the installation of that item was the cause of a failure to that item, or can be attributed to the failure of a related item.
I hope this answers questions many of you have regarding this issue.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hondapartsmgr: Thank you very, very much for helping with that issue.. Thank you also for joining us!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking in to installing a Honda factory foglight kit on a Honda Element. Is it worth the trouble for a layman? Any thoughts? Suggestions? Insights?
Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
if you take your time, it isn't very difficult. Removing the front end consists of removing 4 bolts, 18 plastic clips and two self tapping screws. Don't break the clips! Cutting out the openings was easy using a Unibit to drill the 3 holes and then I cut the round openings with a sharp #11 blade in my Exacto knife. Be careful! Take your time routing the front wiring harness and reinstall the front end. It is NOT necessary to remove the negative terminal for this step. When you're ready for the under dash wiring harness, then disconnect the battery and go for it. Again, if you take it one step at time, you shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How did you remove the clips for the front end? It doesn't sound too hard, but it would be good to know what the right tool is!

·
Registered
118 Posts
from a large pair of tweezers, with the ends cut off to the same size as the plastic clips and then bent inward and filed down fairly thin. This allows them to fit under the plastic pin in the center of the clip on two sides and then pull them out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would not attempt to do the fog lights myself. I work at a dealership and see what they have to do to install them. I paid the labor for the trained guys to do it. That way if they mess something up. The dealership will fix it. Don't even get me started on the tow package wiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fog lights installation could be a pain to install...Because on some cars(Accord for example) you need to remove the plastic bumper cover,and as far as I know , some vehicles would require cutting.And unless you really know what you are doing,(how many people would cut in a 22 grand ride ?) have someone that was trained to do this one. On top of that, Honda covers the accessories installed by the dealer with the new car warranty (3yr/36 k).Otherwise,if you buy it later,the accessories would come with 1 yr/12k warranty. If you screw something up,you d get nothing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey, if you guys can't handle it, that's okay, but don't discourage others who may want to save some serious bucks and do it themselves. I and several others have already done it and had no problems. Honda mechanics don't have Ph.D's and anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability and common sense should be able to handle it. :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered the fog lights when I bought my Element and waited a month for them to come in as the dealer said they were on backorder. Once they arrived, I let the dealer install the kit since I paid for it when I purchased the vehicle. This is where you opinion will determine whether or not you want to try this yourself. My dealer has now ordered me a new bumper as when they installed the fog lights, they scratched the bumper up really badly and made a seriously pathetic attempt at getting the cuts smooth and even. :evil: So, I suppose this means that either you can let the dealer do it if you feel you can't be careful enough and let them replace things they screw up... or you could do it yourslef and be extra careful and know that you might not damage anything in the process. Tough decision when you see it this way, but I think I would still let the dealer do it as the bumper costs more than the labor to have the dealer install the kit and pay for damages they may cause. This is not to discourage anyone, just to let you know about my experience with this topic.

1 - 20 of 484 Posts