Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my Honda Element for less than a month and one of my fog light lenses is already cracked in 6 places! I called the dealer to find out about replacing it and they told me they don't sell just the lenses. They said I'd have to buy another whole set of fog lights (for $600!!)...what kind of game are they running? Do they really not want repeat customers? I have two family members who are in the market for new cars that were leaning towards Honda, but now they are not so sure. Has anyone else had this problem with their fog lights? I am really disgusted with Honda right now... :evil:

·
Registered
894 Posts
I wonder if that part is under warranty? I would also call Honda America to yak with them.

Iskie

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Try to find out who make the lights for Honda, then contact them directly. The lenses should be avialable through the company that supplies honda. If you get them replaced, have some custom made guards installed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Because the Element is so new, not everything is availalbe yet as a part. I wanted a mag for the CD changer, the under the seat one. The places I called did not have part numbers for it. One place finally found it from Honda, but can't get it for several months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey RML, i read another link about the mag for the CD changer and someone discoverd it was made by Pioneer and you could buy xtra mags at Crutchfeild. You might want to call to make sure.

·
Registered
204 Posts
[quote:62239885f4="RML"]Because the Element is so new, not everything is availalbe yet as a part. I wanted a mag for the CD changer, the under the seat one. The places I called did not have part numbers for it. One place finally found it from Honda, but can't get it for several months.[/quote:62239885f4]

Hey RML,

The changer is made by Panasonic. I got two extra from Crutchfield. They have them in stock. They even come with a plastic sleeve (similar to a VHS tape) to provide a smidgen of protection when you cart them around.

Here's the URL: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yU8WNX55tRR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=133CAMP801

L8r,

-jdef

·
Registered
80 Posts
[quote:7fb95a47dd="hockeytown1926"]I have only had my Honda Element for less than a month and one of my fog light lenses is already cracked in 6 places! I called the dealer to find out about replacing it and they told me they don't sell just the lenses. They said I'd have to buy another whole set of fog lights (for $600[/quote:7fb95a47dd]

The $600 is approximately the installed price. You can get the complete set from cheaphondaparts.com or HandA for around $250. Then use one to fix the broken one. This is worst case, of course, if you cannot find just the lens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a rock kick up and break the lens on one of my fog lights. Dealer tells me that you can't order just the lens, in fact, you have to order an brand new complete fog light kit. You can't even buy just one light. Needless to say this is not an option. Does any body have any suggestions? If I have to replace both lights I want to use something with replaceable lenses. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to hear of the fog light mishap, but someone else had the same experience, posted on the board. Not nice of Honda to not offer a replacement lens. Someone (perhaps Einstein) posted about a material from 3M that you can buy and paste over the lens. Post was early January I think. 40 mil, transparent, 12x12 inch sheet.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Will your dealer split a fog lamp kit? Surely someone else will need one.

Could you split a fog lamp kit with another owner with a broken lens?

You could also contact Raybrig to see if they can sell replacement lamps. Somebody else did and I haven't heard the results.

====

I've been getting PMs about the material I have left over to protect the lenses.

Yes, I can make a half dozen more circle pairs... PM me if you are interested.

$5 per pair to cover my trouble and shipping costs until all the material is gone.

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Dealer was very nice about it all but will not split a fog light kit and there is no way I will pay $300 to replace one light. I did call Honda Customer Service today to make them aware of the problem and was promised a reply within five days. Even if they can't help me, maybe a change can be made for the future. Just find it hard to believe that a light with a replaceable lens wasn't in the mix. Being only a foot or so off the highway seems they would have thought about breakage from junk on the road.Right now I see two alternatives. One would be to wait until Summer and hopefully the condensation inside the cracked light will go away and then try the film you are talking about. My thinking is that the film would seal the glass cracks and keep the inside of the light dry. #2 would be to replace both light s with a Cyber White light kit and hope the work as well as the higher priced Honda lights.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think those are good ideas, hope it works out for you.

Ultimately you probably won't be entirely happy with the cracked lens, even if it holds together.

What comprehensive insurance do you have? I have $0 deductable and I would definitely call my agent to see if it is covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:D I'm the "other" foglight victim Einstien mentioned. I've searched everywhere for a replacement foglamp assembly with no success. I even contacted Raybrig directly and they never responded.

Now for the good news, I finally emailed H&A since they seem to be the premier dealer for accessories. Here is their response:

Hi,

As of this time, Honda claims they will have replacement light assemblies available, but they don't have a date that the lights will be available to order. We will have them on the web site as soon as they are. We don't know of any other replacement that will work.

Thanks,

Bill - HandA-Accessories

So with a little patience H&A will have them soon and at a great price. In the meantime my lights get the 3m treatment!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for the update. Bill at HandA is great people.

I'm glad they keep the site well maintained and updated for exactly the things we are asking for and what Honda offers.

P.S. If Honda doesn't offer reasonably priced replacements, I'm sure a black market would form... :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi All

Tonight I was walking past the front of my E when the right side fog light caught my eye...I noticed it had a bad crack in it.

Imagine my dismay when I decided to look at the other one and it too had a crack!!!

I am really not happy, but I did notice a spot where I think a rock might have hit the left one. I see no other such obvious damage on the right one. I am wondering what the chances are that the cold cracked the right one...it has been damn cold here lately and I have been using the fogs...I am thinking the quick change in temperature may be a problem, although I am sure they would be tested for that.

Being that I bought them with the car, I know they are covered under warranty for defect, but I am sure I'll get turned down. I am wondering what the sense is in replacing them if that is just going to happen over and over.

I am interested to hear how the H&A story turns out.

I am going to see if anyone carries any sort of mesh cover for them...something like all of the suburban soccer Mom's and Accountants have on their Land Rovers, you know in case a rhinocerous attacks them while they are double parked outside Starbucks. If something like that might save the trouble of this happening over and over again, I may just put up with the look.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I wrote a letter to honda last year and also to some manufactuters to make a set of cages or plastic impact lenses for the element. I got no replies but for now like I said get the x-pels or 3m ones. Just buy the 15 inch sheet and cut them yourself they are cheaper.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda contacted the dealer and told them to help me out. The response was a complete new foglight kit for half price. I called Honda America and told them as much as I appreciated a new kit for 50% off, that I only needed one light and I wasn't going to pay $180.00 for one light. They told me to buy the kit and to send them the invoice and they would cut me a check for the difference - $50.00 for one light and to keep the entire kit. I was very impressed at this response and told them so, but also said they really need to look into using fog lights that can be either replaced individually or have replaceable the lenses. I also bought the expel protectors for the foglights from Einstein and will put them on the lights and replace the broken one once warmer weather arrives. Like I said, I think Honda has bent over backwards to resolve this issue and I am sure that not many other car makers would follow suit. If you live in the toolies, like I do, you might think twice about purchasing expensive foglights that can get easily broken on gravel roads. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Someone or some thing put a hole in one of my fog lights. Now I need to replace it. Anybody out there got one?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
another OEM unit is gonna be hard to find

3 options

1. if you got them WITH your car when u bought it bring it back to the stealership and tell them it cracked SOME and i stress SOME will replace

2. search the boards and order the replica ones from walmart and still use your OEM switch and wiring

3. Suck it up... buy another set BUT hold onto the button , wiring and used fog
I'm sure this will happen again to someone else and u can sell your setup

Good Luck either which way u go

1 - 20 of 104 Posts