Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 dealer installed alarm that has recently begun to act up. Twice now it has gone off for no visible reason. The first time it was sitting in the sun and it was about 90 degrees out. The second time it was parked in my garage (and yes, the doors locked and alarm set, force of habit) and it was quite warm in the garage.

I went through the proceedure to see what set it off, and the light flashed 4 times indicating "glass breakage", so I assume it has to do with the microphone. I didn't see any broken glass, but haven't ruled out something else in the car that may have made a noise (not quite sure what, like plastic crackling or dashboard "settling").

Any suggestions? It is out of warranty so I prefer not going to the dealer unless it is a last resort, and then I would probably be better off just replacing it with a new one because we all know what the charge would be for "diagnostic" work on this.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
put a small piece of tape over the mic on the shifter surround or unplug the mini jack that plugs into the brain under the driver side of the dash to the left of the steering column at the security brain. this will telly you if it is the mic falsing or the braing freaking out. if it is the mic, leave it unplugged or get another one, if the brain, unplug it and get a new one or go aftermarket. most aftermarket alarms dont have a glass break sensor. you can add them to practically all of them, but most people dont, so it might be worth it to just leave it unplugged on the factory if the mic is bad. just an option so you dont have to deal with falsing but still have some coverage with the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I just might try that. I'm going to see if it goes off today and that the reason code is the same. Then I will try unplugging the mic and see if that works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unplugged

I unplugged the microphone and the false alarms stopped. Now that the hot weather has left, and we are having warm weather, I want to plug it back in and see if there was a heat issue or if the microphone may need replacing.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I used to occasionally forget my cell phone in the car....
It would set off the alarm if it rang...
took a few times for me to figure that one out...:rolleyes:
Nice! Beats trying to amplify the ringer if you're fishing in a river AND waiting for an important call...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts