Honda Element Owners Club banner

OEM head unit response

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Rob Dobbs 
#1 ·
Just from browsing through your posts through the years I was thinking about all the fine folks here who replaced their OEM speakers but use the OEM headunit. From my what I know about OEM HU's is that the frequency curve is tailored to the OEM speakers to make them sound their best in the vehicle. So when the OEM speakers are replaced with Infinities, Polk's, or whatever you're still not getting the best out of the aftermarket speaker. What I'd like to know is if anyone has benched the OEM HU to find out what the signal is like?

#2 ·
are you talking about the frequency response curve of the OEM headunit? at what volume? with or without the amp (IE EX/SC or LX)? :)

all these yield different results, which is it you would like to see?;-)

#3 ·
I think I remember Outpost4 (might have been someone else) doing a little bit of testing on it a few years ago, but I'm thinking it was merely the voltage of the pre-outs on the ex deck.

JL did a video just showing an example of how crazy the factory eq curves can be, but nothing specific to the element. It would be interesting to see what the element's looks like.

#4 ·
JL did a video just showing an example of how crazy the factory eq curves can be, but nothing specific to the element. It would be interesting to see what the element's looks like.
but they did make a stealthbox for the e which means they did use the RTA on it at some point;-)

and i just so happened to talk to a buddy at JL earlier today when he needed some info on a car they are building for SEMA. He is gonna send me what they have on it tomorrow.

#6 ·
so after digging around he wasnt able to find any of the old response curve data on the element. It has been out for a while (the stealthbox) and it is probably burried in a folder somewhere down there in mirimar but he hasnt been able to find it. that stuff is all tracked electronically now, but back then it wasnt. :-(

#7 ·
It was just a idea to kick around the forums. I thought the info could be useful since I've read a lot of owners want to replace the speakers but not the HU. I'm not talking about in car response of the system. I'm talking about the signal out of the HU (before the amplifier in the EX). I think any or all of that info would be useful to anyone looking to improve the audio system in their Element. Should be a sticky. ;-)

#8 ·
To answer your question, I replaced all 4 speakers with Polk Audio 651s. I left the stock tweeters since they don't use a crossover. The sound quality is significantly improved over the full range stock speakers. I have no interest in replacing the factory head unit because I don't want to replace the factory XM tuner. I also don't want some moron to break into the car to steal the stereo. Finally, all the aftermarket stereos look like crap these days. The 270 watt factory stereo with sub is plenty powerful enough to drive most aftermarket speakers.

So what evidence do you have to prove that OEM head units have such an altered frequency curve compared to aftermarket stereos that you would even hear a difference? I am just wondering, because most people that fall into that marketing hype, realize they wasted their money with devices such as the JL Cleansweep.

#9 · (Edited)
ALL factory radios drastically cut the low frequency responce after certian volumes, some more than others. they do this so that they dont have to replace tons of speakers under warranty unnecessarily. doesnt matter if it is factory Bang and Olfsen system in an Audi or the crappy EX/SC system in the E's, they all do it. spectum analizers are excellent tools for measuring this and the JL cleansweep isnt just aftermarket hype, i assure you. ;-)

oh and the factory tweeters do use a crossover, they would blow if they didnt. is is just a small capacitor on the tweeter itself, not a multispeaker network type crossover like you might be thinking of.

#12 ·
So if I want to get them most rattle out of my aftermarket equip. I need a new HU to push the signal till my windows blow without any limiting the signal? crap! more money to do it right I guess. I am with Hillstones in that I really don't want to replace the HU so it's obvious to others and I like the ease of function on the stock. I also want to try the polks since my bass is now so loud the rest of the stock can't keep up...hell even be heard sometimes

#13 ·
OEM Audio system

I just purchased a 2006 Black LX, it has a after market headunit, Im thinking of purchasing from a salvage yard a OEM audio sytem head unit, amp and sub with cover. What i need to know is what should I look for compatability wise between say EX to the LX?

I thought about just adding a sub and amp to my present after market system, but i need the space and dont want a amp and subbox taking from that.

Thats were the OEM system appeals to me, its fits right into the vehicle wiithout me having to remodify. But I need to know whats the trick to pull it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.