Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the OEM Keyless entry for my 2003 element from Handa. The one that comes with the transmitter etc. I installed it per instructions. I tried to program it per instructions and I can get into programming mode (where you hear the door initially lock) and then it seems like both of my key fobs program. But when I turn the ignition off to "close" the programming mode neither remotes work. Have tried it multiple times. Getting frustrated. Anyone have any swift ideas for me. (the actuator on the drivers door seems to be getting stuck sometimes, would this affect the remote programming?)

·
Registered
81 Posts
are you sure the lock is getting stuck? By the sounds of things I would think you are pretty much there. Why not try with one remote first and get that all working good then simply do the other. have been down this road before, just make sure you are completing the steps exactly. Youtube can help you also. Good luck

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
are you sure the lock is getting stuck? By the sounds of things I would think you are pretty much there. Why not try with one remote first and get that all working good then simply do the other. have been down this road before, just make sure you are completing the steps exactly. Youtube can help you also. Good luck
You can't program one remote and then come back later and do the other one. All remotes are done at the same time. On the other hand, the op didn't say if the remotes were responding as they were being programmed. During the process, you'll hear the doors lock or unlock - and if that doesn't happen, your system has a problem. Either they're not following the procedure to the letter or there's a fault in it. Just for reference:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Entering the programming mode erases all stored remotes so none of the previously programmed remotes will work. You must program all of the remotes in the same session. You must complete each step within 5 seconds of the previous step to keep the system from exiting the programming mode.

1. Turn ignition switch to ON (II)

2. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on one of the remotes. (An unprogrammed remote can be used for this step.)

3. Turn ignition switch to LOCK

4. Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 two more times using the same keyless remote used in step 2

5. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II)

6. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the same remote. Make sure the power door locks cycle to confirm you
are in programming mode.

7. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on each remote you want to program. Make sure door locks cycle after you push each remote button to confirm the system has accepted the remote.

8. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK to exit programming mode.

9. Test your remote(s)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to hear if step #7 confirmed the remotes by cycling the door locks. This is one of those cases where the "5 second rule" really applies. If you take too long between pushing the lock or unlock buttons on each remote, it tosses the whole process and you're back to step #1 again. It's an simple process once you get the hang of it but it can also be frustrating if if you miss one little thing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just installed the OEM keyless and security systems about three weeks ago and the keyless owner's manual I received had 13 steps. I installed the keyless entry, made sure it worked then did the security. Read through all the directions and it took me two tries due to slowness the first time, but it worked without a hitch.

Here are the full "Remote Control Code Programming" from pages 9-11 of the Keyless Entry System Owner's Manual

"How to Program Remote Control Transmitters"
- For steps 2 through 12, each step must be completed within 5 seconds. For step 13, within 10 seconds for each remote.
-Up to 3 remotes can be stored in memory
-All remotes to be programmed must be on hand.
-A non programmed remote will work for this procedure.
-Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position to complete the programming procedure.

1) Unlock the doors
2) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" (ll) position
3) Press the "LOCK" or UNLOCK" button on the remote control transmitter.
4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" (0, l) position.
5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" (ll) position.
6) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control transmitter.
7) Turn the ignition to the "OFF" (0, l) position
8) Turn the ignition to the "ON" (ll) position.
9) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote transmitter.
10) Turn the ignition to the "OFF" (0, l) position.
11) Turn the ignition to the "ON" (ll) position.
12) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control transmitter.
- The power door locks cycle to indicate programming mode.
- To terminate the programming mode at this point, either turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position or leave the remote's button untouched for over 10 seconds. To program the remote, perform steps 2 through 12.
13) Press the "LOCK" button of each remote (one at a time) to be stored in memory.
- The power door locks cycle to confirm each entry.
- A button on each remote control transmitter to be programmed must be pressed. Perform the programming steps within 10 seconds for each remote or else the programming mode will terminate.

Note: Only 3 remotes can be store in the system's memory

(Hope I'm not breaking any laws by doing this)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Here are the full "Remote Control Code Programming" from pages 9-11 of the Keyless Entry System Owner's Manual
(Hope I'm not breaking any laws by doing this)
I hope not. Those are the same instructions I just posted in the previous message. :) One thing I thought at the time when I did mine was that having somebody join you and read the directions out loud as it was done would've been nice. It's not a "rush" procedure but repeatedly reading the next step and then doing it is easier with two people.

BTW, there's a limit on how many keys you can have stored too, but if you get the cloned variety, they copy one of the existing keys and then there's no programming needed or limit. You can buy self cloning remotes that do the same thing and again, no limit. I bought one of those on Ebay for less than $20 a year or so back and it works fine. (We needed 5 remotes to go with 5 keys.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bump, I got the transmitter and remotes for my 2003. Installed everything and ran through the above procedure. I can get to step #12 and I can hear the clunk-clunk (noise the locks make when cycling) under the dash (I think). When I end the cycle and wait the 1 seconds after the remote's don't seem to trigger anything. Red light flashes on remote.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
except when in programming mode, the remotes don't work when there's a key in the ignition.
i learned this the hard way. left the engine running, took the remote fob with me and then manually locked the vehicle. my thought was that i could unlock it with the fob when i returned in a few minutes, but no go. fortunately i had another key near by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts