Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am doing a starter install and thought I would share something with you guys. I found a place called brownings alternator and starter in my area they rebuild the starter and give it back in 2 hours. I am sure there are more places like this around most of you. When Honda wants 389 bucks for a new one I will wait for it to be rebuilt. I know this wont work for everyone and the starter replacement is a cast iron bi$%H but I thought I would put the info out there. I dont have 600 bucks to donate to Honda but 89 bucks and some sweat and blood is right up my price range. I hope this helps someone save some green it saved my vacation fund mickey mouse here we come (someone save me)

·
Registered
480 Posts
There are a few shops around here, but one in particular is owned by an old Russian guy that everyone calls "Crazy Ivan". Really cool guy, and he knows his crap. I took the high torque starter off Harley to him (which I originally paid like $300 for). He told me "never do that again", "buy a starter for a toyota R22", "same starter, 1/4th price". Long story short, he knows what internal parts interchange with cheaper stuff. Oh ya, he only charged me $20 to completely rebuild that $300 starter.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
There are a few shops around here, but one in particular is owned by an old Russian guy that everyone calls "Crazy Ivan". Really cool guy, and he knows his crap. I took the high torque starter off Harley to him (which I originally paid like $300 for). He told me "never do that again", "buy a starter for a toyota R22", "same starter, 1/4th price". Long story short, he knows what internal parts interchange with cheaper stuff. Oh ya, he only charged me $20 to completely rebuild that $300 starter.
Toyota's R-22 engine is one of the most proliferated models spanning 3 decades depending on geographical locations.... There ought to be spares available everywhere...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Toyota's R-22 engine is one of the most proliferated models spanning 3 decades depending on geographical locations.... There ought to be spares available everywhere...
Exactly, I can go to Autozone to buy a starter for my Harley now....Who woulda thunk it?

·
Registered
872 Posts
there's a guy on flebay that go's under the name of high performance usa that sells high torque knock off starters that look exzactly like the high $$$$$ IMI hightorque starter that a bunch of racers are running now because they work,not like the old tilton,accell,etc.. for only 125.00 I got one for my bug it didnot work,he said to put a hot shot kit on,(extra silonoid) so I did & it worked but not much better than the 35 year old vw unit.then quit a month later.so I pulled it apart.your not going to beleave this, but it looked brand new on the outside but inside it was a bunch of old rusty junk straight out of a scrap pile totaly wore out !!! they clean them with an acid, paint the steel parts(a silonoid cover) put an adapter on it(aluminum flange so it will fit your moter)change the gear to mach your motor. I could not beleave all this crap that poured out of this thing,contactc's gone,brushes wore down to the wire,bushings dead.the only thing good was the adapter witch wasent worth 125.00.so I sent it back fer refund or replacement, I took the refund,he said they get the cors from japan & convert them.(never said they rebuild them) then I found one of my vw venders thay had it the real one a IMI unit on sale for 188.00 normaly around 225&up for vw and it works great. so it's byer beware on everything these days. oops almost forgot I worked in a alt/starter remanufacture when I was 17.they sold across the nation to almost everybody.just a defrent box, as for the quality well they were in bisness for many years,but not now,It was an assembly line rebuild. disembleed,cleaned,parts checked,bad stuff thrown out,good went down the line & was put togeather by a bunch of defrent stations. about 1 every 30-50 seconds came down the line to be boxed.that was over thirty years ago, and 15 years ago I was working in the same building at a machine shop , I didnot realize it for about six months and the machi9ne shop had been there for ten years ,it's still there.crap I'm old:-(

·
Registered
480 Posts
That's the biggest downside to eBay. I still try my best to support local business, but sometimes you can't pass up eBay prices as long as you're willing to roll the dice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts