Honda Element Owners Club banner

OEM Side Steps missing rear bolts

13K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  balmrmartin 
#1 ·
Hello all! I'm installing used oem side steps but i'm missing the important rear plate bolts.

Does anyone know where i can get these or any alternative bolts that i can use? I don't want to end up buying the bolt kit for this.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

#3 ·
#4 ·
Uggg! Its been so long I dont remember their size etc! Someone on here must know....or maybe ask at the dealer?
However, when I need any weird Fastener I go to Fastenal
http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex
If they dont have it in stock the sure as heck can get it!

#7 ·
That's a pretty cool site. I'll have to bookmark it. I'm sure it'll cost an arm and leg or just a finger just to make it. I did go to my local honda dealer and asked about it but no luck.

I'm going to call around some local junkyards and find out if there are any Elements on their yards. HOPEFULLY someone has one with side steps on them.

#12 ·
The bolts are nothing special. All you need is a bolt of the proper length, and a nut to fit it. The eccentric tab that is used to hold the bolt stationary wile you tighten it is an easy to duplicate item. A local welder can do it for you for 4 or 5$. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL THAT NECESSARY. You can accomplish the task with a thin walled socket.

Dom

#14 ·
Never found the plate bolts. I was kinda thinking of that direction with the eye bolts but ended up buying the kit for it. I had to replace one of the metal brackets anyway because it was badly bent. I should be getting the kit this weekend. Can't wait to put it on. :grin:

#19 ·
Don't forget to use little plastic washers slightly smaller than the bolt threads, to hold the bolt in place & prevent them from falling back into the slotted holes. it's a bitch to try & fish 'em out. You install the bolt, slip the washer on & it's holds the bolt in place perfectly when fitting the bracket over the bolts to put on the nuts.....trust me, I learned the hard way !

#20 ·
Bolt Package for side steps

I found a set of used steps but it seems they are missing the bolt package to mount them to the element. They look complete otherwise. I am awaiting a confirmation.

Does anyone know if this is available separately? If not, what size bolts would I need?

#25 ·
Thanks

GRNDHOG
Thanks for the pic
Looks like you are missing a bolt? Does this tuly mean that only one is needed to secure the back portion of the step? Any support issues with running just one Eye Bolt back there?:|

#26 ·
UPDATE: I spent two hours today trying to attach my side steps. HONDA should have made those rear bolts at least a 1/4 inch longer...OMG! what a pain!!! Ok, the passenger side went on, then I started working on the drivers side (toughest!!).

Sooooo, the first rear bolt I put in dropped into the frame well before I got the washer on it. I spent about 20 minutes trying my best to fish it out, but I lost it somewhere in there. Result? Drivers side is only being held on by one rear bolt. I'm guessing that this is not really an issue as I see GRNDHOG is doing the same thing.

I'm not really worried about it at least my passengers side is 100% secure and I'll just direct heavier folks to get in on that side :)

I'm hoping that the lost rear bolt does not rattle around enough for me t hear it inside the cab when I'm driving and it's really not LOST since I know exactly where it is? LOL

Anyone besides me drop a rear bolt inside their frame?

#27 ·
Awesome! Glad it worked out.

Yeah, I lost a bolt in the frame, too. I've never heard it rattling back there.

You know, to be honest, I don't remember if there should be one or two bolts in the rearmost position. But I can safely tell you that after nearly a year, my steps haven't even budged a bit. At least once per week I am standing on them (200lbs) tying something to the roof or whatever.

I have bounced on them with all of my weight, recently even, and don't have any concerns about them staying put.

#28 ·
SHAKE.....RATTLE.....&.....ROLL!!!
Took a short drive to hardware store this evening and heard the bolt when I hit a pot hole. Now it's bugging me so, that I need to get the dang thing out. I'm thinking a really strong magnetic screwdriver? Anyone have thoughts on how I can get the bolt out of the frame. Thanks

#29 ·
Side Step Bolt Sizes

I just installed a set of used side steps this weekend that were missing the rear bolts and 12 of the included bolts where pretty trashed. Here are the sizes of what I used for reference, if you don't (like me) want to spend $35 a piece for the hardware kit from Honda.
For the rear plate bolts I used 4 eye bolts (2 for each side) 5/16 x 3-1/4 with 5/16 x 1-1/2 x 1/8 rubber washers (you can also use plastic washers) both purchased at OSH, you will also need 5/16 washers as the bolts are not flange bolts. The remaining 12 bolts I needed for install which are 13mm socket head M8 1.25 and 20mm in length were purchased at Fastenal. They should be flange bolts, but if you can't find (like me) I just used with washers. I recommend testing the bolts first as my 04 had a lot of gunk in the holes so I had to use WD40 to clean them out and 3 of the holes I had to use a tap of the same size as bolt to clean out. I also had to chip away a little of the under coating to install as it was on a bit thick on the passenger side around the middle bracket.
Hope this helps, as it took me a couple of trips to the hardware store to get it right. :)

#30 ·
I lost a bolt in the frame today as well. Any one have an extra bolt?

#35 · (Edited)
Hello all! I'm installing used oem side steps but i'm missing the important rear plate bolts.

Does anyone know where i can get these or any alternative bolts that i can use? I don't want to end up buying the bolt kit for this.
Thanks! Much appreciated!
I dont remember their size etc! Someone on here must know....or maybe ask at the dealer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.