Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the spoiler and wondering how difficult it is to put on. Looks like you just punch mark the factory marks under the gate and drill. Anyone have problems doing the mod?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Spoiler

I did mine right after I picked up my 07 SC, dealer wanted $800.00 to put one on. It is very easy. Drilling the 2 spots on the outside edges is no problem, what you have to be very carefull with is the center hole you drill. it has to be the exact size for the piece that goes in it . If its to big it will fall thru, which happened to me, I had to order a new install kit. It didnt cost much, I still have it. I drilled a new hole beside the factory one on the spoiler and put a sheet metal screw in it. That was 25000 miles ago, and it is still that way, with no problems. The two sided tape and the screw hold it just fine, I might put the right one in some day. A lot cheaper than the dealer, cost $275.00 plus shipping. about $300.00 total.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
$800.00????????? OMG. Was that for the wing and install??

I bought my wing a HandA, and the local dealer installed it for $60.00.
For $60.00, I would have the dealer do it. I was there less than an hour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got the spoiler and was wondering the same thing... The cheapest quote for the dealer installation was about $100. I paid $242.25 (free shipping) for the OEM spoiler.

Thank you for the tip, Michael - I think I'll install it myself :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just be very careful when drilling the outer holes. With the hatch up, it's very easy to gouge the roof when the bit breaks through. Even though I taped the area per instructions, the bit still left a mark when it broke through. Other than that, pretty easy. Took about 20 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
$800.00????????? Omg. Was that for the wing and install??

I bought my wing a handa, and the local dealer installed it for $60.00.
For $60.00, i would have the dealer do it. I was there less than an hour.
the $800.00 was for the spoiler and install. I said no way!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Its very easy to do. If you are concerned about going too deep, put some cardboard between the roof and the tailgate that way it will cushion the tip of the bit and minimize any kiss marks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. Typical for the way things go for me. I did drill with a friend holding the hatch halfway up so I wouldn't scratch the roof. Got all of the holes drilled straight through where the instructions said. All the holes were about 1/8 inch off. Had to get my dremel with endmill and slot the holes out some for the bolts.

When dryfitting the spoiler to make sure centered, I rubbed the top of the spoiler against the clearance between the hatch and roof. Took about 1/8 of paint off. :evil: Finally got it to go on after what seemed like an eternity. Had no screw or instructions for the middle hole. Just left it. Don't even know why it's there to begin with. Too much space between the hatch and spoiler there.

Looks very good installed. Like it came from the facotry. Won't do it on my own again though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts